*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 injector fun

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 injector fun

Postby iiPaul » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Hello, I have a mk7 fwd transit mk7 110hp and it’s been smoking quite a lot recently and felt considerably slower than when I first bought it any way long story short, bought new scv, prv and new maf and was gunna get it fitted as the scv caused abit of agg a few months back with stalling but still never fitted it lol, anyway I decided to do a leak off test today.. my results were cylinder 1 was 30ml cylinder 2 was 30ml, cylinder 3 was 45 and cylinder 4 was 35ml in the space of 1min 30secs..

I’ll obviously be changing cylinder 3 very soon.. my question is, do I fit the new scv and prv now? Before I replace the injector or do I do it after the new injector?

Thanks Paul
iiPaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 injector fun

Postby loot » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 pm

The leak off test is tickover for 4 mins and between 25ml and 40ml.

If they showed that amount at 1 minute then I'd fit the 2 new valves with these injectors left in, do a pcm update if you can then a fuel pump learn then an injector pilot learn. If they both succeed then you do another leak off test under the above conditions and see if it is more accurate.

Note, I bought an injector leak off kit and the bottles had no holes in nor did the seals fit tightly so diesel was spewing all over the place :? So I used my home made kit which worked well enough but basically the leak off just wants to drip into the bottles afaik.

Anyway.

I suspect that the pilot learn may fail which will bring on a permanent warning light until it succeeds.

This indicates a small leak somewhere (maybe!) Or most likely the injector/s are knackered :-(

But if it all passes then check leak off and hope they are under 40ml.

Pfjones do recon/testing/new injectors I believe.

I prefer new unless the van is just a cronk.

Could be other problems to though.
Post fault codes etc if you need more help.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 pm

+1..^^^

What our loot said..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby iiPaul » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:46 am

loot wrote:The leak off test is tickover for 4 mins and between 25ml and 40ml.

If they showed that amount at 1 minute then I'd fit the 2 new valves with these injectors left in, do a pcm update if you can then a fuel pump learn then an injector pilot learn. If they both succeed then you do another leak off test under the above conditions and see if it is more accurate.

Note, I bought an injector leak off kit and the bottles had no holes in nor did the seals fit tightly so diesel was spewing all over the place :? So I used my home made kit which worked well enough but basically the leak off just wants to drip into the bottles afaik.

Anyway.

I suspect that the pilot learn may fail which will bring on a permanent warning light until it succeeds.

This indicates a small leak somewhere (maybe!) Or most likely the injector/s are knackered :-(

But if it all passes then check leak off and hope they are under 40ml.

Pfjones do recon/testing/new injectors I believe.

I prefer new unless the van is just a cronk.

Could be other problems to though.
Post fault codes etc if you need more help.

Thanks for the quick reply, well I’m not sure we performed the leak off correctly then as the van cut out after 1.30 down to no fuel.. (blanked the pump off at the pump where the black pipe connects to) didn’t want to clamp the leak off pipes and break one as they seem brittle

How do I perform a pcm update on forscan?

I dunno what to do now as I need the van for work and don’t wanna cause problems again as the last time I done a injector learn it failed and kept cutting out all the time
iiPaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby v8dave » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:02 am

iiPaul wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, well I’m not sure we performed the leak off correctly then as the van cut out after 1.30 down to no fuel.. (blanked the pump off at the pump where the black pipe connects to) didn’t want to clamp the leak off pipes and break one as they seem brittle

I dunno what to do now as I need the van for work and don’t wanna cause problems again as the last time I done a injector learn it failed and kept cutting out all the time

You have to blank the leak-off pipework completely otherwise it lets air into the fuel system and the engine stops.
Don't block the leak-off connection on the fuel pump, it has to remain connected to the fuel filter as the pump has leaks as well as the injectors.
If the volumes you got at 1:30 were at idle I think you'll need four injectors.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby iiPaul » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:36 am

v8dave wrote:
iiPaul wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, well I’m not sure we performed the leak off correctly then as the van cut out after 1.30 down to no fuel.. (blanked the pump off at the pump where the black pipe connects to) didn’t want to clamp the leak off pipes and break one as they seem brittle

You have to blank the leak-off pipework completely otherwise it lets air into the fuel system and the engine stops.
Don't block the leak-off connection on the fuel pump, it has to remain connected to the fuel filter as the pump has leaks as well as the injectors.

So confirmed the leak off was done incorrectly, will that effect the result of leak off test?

What will be the worst case if I fit the new valves and do the updates? Will the van still drive?
iiPaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 am

iiPaul wrote:
v8dave wrote:

So confirmed the leak off was done incorrectly, will that effect the result of leak off test?

What will be the worst case if I fit the new valves and do the updates? Will the van still drive?
Are parts out of Ford ??
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby iiPaul » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:39 am

Got a genuine for maf to go in, but denso prv and scv
iiPaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:03 pm

iiPaul wrote:Got a genuine for maf to go in, but denso prv and scv

Forget the rail pressure sensor and the MAF and/or MAP sensors, they rarely fail...but the SCV and PRV must be genuine Ford/Denso items or the learns will probably fail.
Injector leak-off should be done with engine fully warmed up, at idle for 4mins, limit is 25-40ml, if it's a fair bit over this the pilot learns will probably fail.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby iiPaul » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:03 pm

knobby1 wrote:

Forget the rail pressure sensor and the MAF and/or MAP sensors, they rarely fail...but the SCV and PRV must be genuine Ford/Denso items or the learns will probably fail.
Injector leak-off should be done with engine fully warmed up, at idle for 4mins, limit is 25-40ml, if it's a fair bit over this the pilot learns will probably fail.

Lord Knobrot

Yeah got genuine denso scv and prv ready to fit, question is do I fit it now and if it fails the learns will I be able to drive it
iiPaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby v8dave » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:30 pm

If you change the valves you will probably not notice any change from the way it currently drives.
If you attempt the learns and they fail you will have the engine warning light on. It will mask any other faults.

If you have checked for codes with forscan and it's clear then my advise is don't change the valves until the leak-off has been done correctly and any fault identified from that dealt with.

Remember that the leak-off limits are the expected range of leakage, the important part is that all four injectors be within 10% of the mean leakage.

I when through this with my van a few years back.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:32 pm

iiPaul wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Yeah got genuine denso scv and prv ready to fit, question is do I fit it now and if it fails the learns will I be able to drive it
Where did you buy your genuine prv scv from mate ?
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby iiPaul » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 pm

v8dave wrote:If you change the valves you will probably not notice any change from the way it currently drives.
If you attempt the learns and they fail you will have the engine warning light on. It will mask any other faults.

If you have checked for codes with forscan and it's clear then my advise is don't change the valves until the leak-off has been done correctly and any fault identified from that dealt with.

Remember that the leak-off limits are the expected range of leakage, the important part is that all four injectors be within 10% of the mean leakage.

I when through this with my van a few years back.

Right okay what if I attempted the learns and it passed as I done the learns a month or two back and they both passed?
I did have a problem a while back where I tried a learn and it did fail and the van wouldn’t idle, luckily I found a tiny bit of dirt in the scv, cleaned it and it completed the learn.
iiPaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby iiPaul » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Pf Jones I believe mate
iiPaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:18 am

iiPaul wrote:Pf Jones I believe mate