*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom steels on a mk7

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Custom steels on a mk7

Postby Steve192 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Hello, could someone tell me wether the standard flat wheel nuts on a mk7 are suitable to use with a set of custom/mk8 Transit steel wheels?

If not,

Are the custom/mk8 chamfered nuts the same thread?

Or could someone please find me a set and post the link?

Cheers
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Custom steels on a mk7

Postby Altransit » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Custom wheels need a tapered nut, and the Custom tapered nuts can't be used on the Mk7 as they have a different thread pitch :(

You need M14 x 2mm tapered nuts, but not the closed ended ones for alloys, they need to be open both ends for steel wheels
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Steve192 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Altransit wrote:Custom wheels need a tapered nut, and the Custom tapered nuts can't be used on the Mk7 as they have a different thread pitch :(

You need M14 x 2mm tapered nuts, but not the closed ended ones for alloys, they need to be open both ends for steel wheels

Top man. Cheers for that info pal
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ANDY.T » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:30 pm

2000 2.4 LWB HiRoof ex RailTrack crew bus
Took last row seats out, built new bulk head, now 6 seat.
11 years ownership 10 x 1st time MoT passes.
New fuel pump last year only real cost.
ANDY.T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ANDY.T » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi, I have two simple questions. Can anyone help please...

What is the reason why the MK7 alloy (tapered) wheel nuts cant be used on MK8 steel wheels? or am I missing something again :?

I've seen MK7's on here that have MK8 steel wheels fitted... can anyone please tell me what FORD/Ebay etc.. part number/link for the wheel nuts used is ?
ANDY.T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Custom thread is m14 x 1.5 and transit is m14 x 2
Iirc
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby ned » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Alloy wheels are thicker then steel wheels so if you use the closed end alloy wheel nuts they might not tighten up enough on the wheel.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ANDY.T » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:01 pm

I've got a set of steel 15" wheels from a MK8 custom and they are thinner, obviously, than the MK7 alloys.

The MK7 alloys need tapered wheel nuts so if I can find a set of open ended tapered wheel nuts for the MK7 they should work on the MK8 steel wheels.

Here is one of my MK7 steel wheels and flat wheel nut on the stud.

small mk7 nut.jpg

You can see the end of the stud just out of the end of the 30mm nut by about 3mm.

Here is one of the MK8 steel wheel nuts from the set of MK8 wheels I got recently.

small mk8.jpg

You can see that it is also about 30mm long but the tapered end will stick into the wheel by about 3mm. But these wont fit the MK7 studs anyway.

Here are the MK7 alloy wheel studs that fit the MK7 wheel studs and they are tapered, so should fit the MK8 wheels.

MK7 alloy wheel nut.jpg

mk7 alloy wheel nut dims.jpg

So what I need is a tapered M14 x 2mm open ended nut about the same size as the MK8 steel wheel nut shown above.

The MK7 alloy wheel nuts although tapered have closed ends and may or may not actually do up tight enough before the MK7 stud hits the inner top closed end.

Also the face of the MK8 steel wheel that sits against the flat face of the wheel hub is raised into a cone shape around the stud hole slightly for the tapered end of the wheel nut to sit in.
This should mean that there is less length of stud projecting out from the outside face of the MK8 wheel on a MK7 hub so less stud length for the nut to wind onto.

I suppose I just need to take a wheel off the MK7 van and try one of the MK8 wheels and see how much stud sticks out.

I wonder why no one has made a suitable tapered washer to sit in raised MK8 stud hole for a flat face MK7 wheel nut to tighten up on. ?

Would these work?

taperd wheel nut washers.jpg
ANDY.T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ANDY.T » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:35 pm

Just found these:

open end m14 x 2.0.jpg

open end wheel nuts.jpg

So at least these would fit..now just need an open ended locking wheel nut to match :?
ANDY.T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby _Andy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:00 pm

ANDY.T wrote:Just found these:

open end m14 x 2.0.jpg

open end wheel nuts.jpg

So at least these would fit..now just need an open ended locking wheel nut to match :?

Those are exactly the same nuts I bought to put a set of Mk8 custom steels on my Mk7, I'm waiting on tyres at the moment but they look like they should do the trick. Regarding locking wheel nuts I found these that look ok, may just stick with non-lockers though, not sure there is a big market for stolen transit wheels?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-M14-x-2- ... rk:14:pf:0
2011 T350 140PS AWD
_Andy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ANDY.T » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi _Andy,

Just found these... https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

T7 nuts.jpg

They are for both Alloy AND Steel :) M14 2.0 and should be long enough.

I have just come back from my usual tyre fitters and they say new rules are they they are not allowed to take off the almost new tyres from the Transit Custom wheels I got to re fit to my Transit MK7 wheels or even take tyres off the Transit Customs wheels so I can spray them and then fit back on the newly sprayed wheels later !!!!!!!!!!

They also said that the smaller chromed 60deg nuts in my previous post wern't strong enough for fitting the steel Transit Custom wheels to my MK7 !

I said that they were OK for the correct FORD load bearing alloy wheels for my MK7 Transit but they said not for the steels as they had to be torqued up to 200Nm's... but that's exactly the same as the MK7 steel or alloy wheels as stated by FORD as 200Nms !

I know they cant sell second hand tyres now but I didn't know they couldn't take off and re fit my own tyres?

I think they either cant be bothered with the job of just taking off the tyres and and then re fitting and balancing the newly painted wheels and just want me to buy brand new tyres from them. :(

So sod them. The local custom car mod shop who are going to blast and re coat the Transit Custom wheels can also take off and re fit the tyres so I'll give them the job instead.

I'll post up photos as and when I get the work done.. ;)
ANDY.T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:16 pm

ANDY.T wrote:I know they cant sell second hand tyres now but I didn't know they couldn't take off and re fit my own tyres?

I think they either cant be bothered with the job of just taking off the tyres and and then re fitting and balancing the newly painted wheels and just want me to buy brand new tyres from them. :(

So sod them. The local custom car mod shop who are going to blast and re coat the Transit Custom wheels can also take off and re fit the tyres so I'll give them the job instead.

Is it a fact that they can't sell S/Hand tyres :?: :?
I still pass several places with piles of used tyres outside, and one local guy that I've used for new tyres, also sells them.
Another local guy that I had used several times previously refused to re-fit a tyre, that they had supplied, to a different wheel, as the existing one was leaking air! They lost my future business, and I found a much more agreeable, and even more local, tyre fitter who I've used ever since :P
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby andz327 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 pm

ANDY.T wrote:I've got a set of steel 15" wheels from a MK8 custom and they are thinner, obviously, than the MK7 alloys.

The MK7 alloys need tapered wheel nuts so if I can find a set of open ended tapered wheel nuts for the MK7 they should work on the MK8 steel wheels.

Here is one of my MK7 steel wheels and flat wheel nut on the stud.

small mk7 nut.jpg

You can see the end of the stud just out of the end of the 30mm nut by about 3mm.

Here is one of the MK8 steel wheel nuts from the set of MK8 wheels I got recently.

small mk8.jpg

You can see that it is also about 30mm long but the tapered end will stick into the wheel by about 3mm. But these wont fit the MK7 studs anyway.

Here are the MK7 alloy wheel studs that fit the MK7 wheel studs and they are tapered, so should fit the MK8 wheels.

MK7 alloy wheel nut.jpg

mk7 alloy wheel nut dims.jpg

So what I need is a tapered M14 x 2mm open ended nut about the same size as the MK8 steel wheel nut shown above.

The MK7 alloy wheel nuts although tapered have closed ends and may or may not actually do up tight enough before the MK7 stud hits the inner top closed end.

Also the face of the MK8 steel wheel that sits against the flat face of the wheel hub is raised into a cone shape around the stud hole slightly for the tapered end of the wheel nut to sit in.
This should mean that there is less length of stud projecting out from the outside face of the MK8 wheel on a MK7 hub so less stud length for the nut to wind onto.

I suppose I just need to take a wheel off the MK7 van and try one of the MK8 wheels and see how much stud sticks out.

I wonder why no one has made a suitable tapered washer to sit in raised MK8 stud hole for a flat face MK7 wheel nut to tighten up on. ?

Would these work?

taperd wheel nut washers.jpg
Altransit wrote:
ANDY.T wrote:I know they cant sell second hand tyres now but I didn't know they couldn't take off and re fit my own tyres?

Is it a fact that they can't sell S/Hand tyres :?: :?
I still pass several places with piles of used tyres outside, and one local guy that I've used for new tyres, also sells them.
Another local guy that I had used several times previously refused to re-fit a tyre, that they had supplied, to a different wheel, as the existing one was leaking air! They lost my future business, and I found a much more agreeable, and even more local, tyre fitter who I've used ever since :P
No they can still sell part worn but there's more rules and regulations the tyre boys need to adhere to, i buy them all the time in Glasgow

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ANDY.T » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Well the Custom 16" wheels are on the MK7 with 16x65x215. It's a bit slower on acceleration but makes 2nd gear much better.

Only prob as the set I got was from a new Custom that then had alloys fitted and the original wheel I got had almost new tyres, some b'stard scroat tried to have them away last night and broke one of the locking wheel nuts..so it now turns both ways without doing up or undoing Grrrrrrr......

Probably took an interest in the new wheel nuts and not re fitting the wheel covers.... My garage says they have a new "tool" for removing broken locking nuts and it's in for a service anyway next week... at least who ever it was didnt get away with the wheels...

The wheel huts do look long but the only other option was a set of very short ones that look far too small. But the ones I went for were advertised as suitable for both alloy and steel wheels and were the only 60deg champhered ones I could find.

So here it is... A MK7 with properly fitted Transit Custom steel wheels. The wheels cost £120 with 8mm as new tyres... wheel nuts and lockers were £26.
ANDY.T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ANDY.T » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Cus on MK7.jpg

L and S.jpg

Been on for 100+ miles, wheel nuts still at 200Nm... :)

T7 nuts.jpg

sorry had to delete the other photos in previous posts to give enough room for any new ones :(

Only issue now is getting a set of LONG 60Deg chamfered open ended locking wheel nuts so I dont have to use the 60Deg chamfered washers with flat face open ended wheel nut lock nuts..

So I now need to find M14, 2.0 thread locking wheel nuts that will take 200Nm torque : OR
find out what the internal thread is for the MK7 Transit wheel hub studs are and then get a set of wheel nut hub studs that will have an inner end that fits the MK7 transit hub and the sticky out end that fits the Transit Custom wheel nuts.!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ANDY.T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits