*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New Mk7 Engine malfunction?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

New Mk7 Engine malfunction?

Postby vitoansit » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:18 pm

Had my new Mk7 1 week today only covered 280 mls but this morning I was greeted with a red warning light with message reading Engine Malfunction.Stopped and turned off engine left it for five minutes then had gone back to normal.Next time i started same warning again Engine malfunction,drove to dealers 3 miles with no loss of power or any difference in performance.You guessed it message had gone.Mechanic plugged in diagnostics and it showed a brake switch fault that had happened at odo reading 215 mls but nothing else ie at 280mls.
Now its on again any ideas anyone?
vitoansit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: New Mk7 Engine malfunction?

Postby sus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:18 pm

i get the same only on cold mornings
connect 110T200 with aircon
sus
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Black sticky tape?

IGMC.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Azer van man » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:31 pm

Mine does it sometimes, it will if you don't let the glow plug light go off before starting. :wink:
Choose life, Choose a Transit, Italian Job Done ,Its the Irish in me.....I only listen to Above and Beyond
Now with A 5 pot Beast.......I started off with nothing and I still got most of it left...!!
Azer van man
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby V184 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:47 pm

I get the sawing noise, rear brakes binding when reversing, auto headlights only turn off in bright sunshine, ive had the vac pump leak, the roof leak the clutch master cyl go and the n/s/f wheel bearing go , but i aint had the engine light come on , suppose its something to look forward to :lol:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Azer van man » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:55 pm

Christ V184 seems your van was built on the same Friday afternoon as mine was :!: :!: :lol:
Choose life, Choose a Transit, Italian Job Done ,Its the Irish in me.....I only listen to Above and Beyond
Now with A 5 pot Beast.......I started off with nothing and I still got most of it left...!!
Azer van man
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vitoansit » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:03 pm

V184 wrote:I get the sawing noise, rear brakes binding when reversing, auto headlights only turn off in bright sunshine, ive had the vac pump leak, the roof leak the clutch master cyl go and the n/s/f wheel bearing go , but i aint had the engine light come on , suppose its something to look forward to :lol:

I would have put a brick on the accelerator and stood and watched as it went sailing through the showroom window with half a ton of fertiliser soaked in cherryade in the back if I had that many ''niggles''.I've bought a brand new van 'WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG'?
Sort it on the next course
vitoansit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vitoansit » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Mike Spence wrote:Black sticky tape?

IGMC.

Lump Hammer and chisel.Seems to yield far better/permanent results.
vitoansit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V184 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Thats in 65,000miles i love it to bits if they had the backup of Mercedes they would be spot on
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mikeouk » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 pm

vitoansit wrote:Had my new Mk7 1 week today only covered 280 mls but this morning I was greeted with a red warning light with message reading Engine Malfunction.Stopped and turned off engine left it for five minutes then had gone back to normal.Next time i started same warning again Engine malfunction,drove to dealers 3 miles with no loss of power or any difference in performance.You guessed it message had gone.Mechanic plugged in diagnostics and it showed a brake switch fault that had happened at odo reading 215 mls but nothing else ie at 280mls.

just had the same thing happen to mine,,everything seems to be working fine but ive got the "engine malfunction"message. Its very cold out,id say minus zero,,,did you find out vitoansit if it has anything to do with the temperature and did it happen again?
2007 330 LWB HI ROOF, 2.2 110, PEPPER RED, LX
mikeouk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nighthawk » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:56 pm

the engine malfunction report during "cold" starting is a known concern thats under investigation.

It's a voltage and software issue.

During the cold start the current demands pull the electrical system down beyond a preset limit, so the pcm reports a fault.
It's nothing really to worry about and most vehicles will get a PCM software reflash at some point in the 3 year warranty period which will probably resolve it.
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vitoansit » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:48 pm

Nighthawk wrote:the engine malfunction report during "cold" starting is a known concern thats under investigation.

During the cold start the current demands pull the electrical system down beyond a preset limit, so the pcm reports a fault.
It's nothing really to worry about and most vehicles will get a PCM software reflash at some point in the 3 year warranty period which will probably resolve it.

I've noticed that when the low outside temp warning comes on I can't use anything else on the display ie flick between avg mls/speed,distance are all theese functions useless when it's a cold day?
vitoansit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vitoansit » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:53 pm

mikeouk wrote:
vitoansit wrote:Had my new Mk7 1 week today only covered 280 mls but this morning I was greeted with a red warning light with message reading Engine Malfunction.Stopped and turned off engine left it for five minutes then had gone back to normal.Next time i started same warning again Engine malfunction,drove to dealers 3 miles with no loss of power or any difference in performance.You guessed it message had gone.Mechanic plugged in diagnostics and it showed a brake switch fault that had happened at odo reading 215 mls but nothing else ie at 280mls.

just had the same thing happen to mine,,everything seems to be working fine but ive got the "engine malfunction"message. Its very cold out,id say minus zero,,,did you find out vitoansit if it has anything to do with the temperature and did it happen again?

Yes it has happened a few times,only on cold mornings.Just my luck I'll ignore it one of these winter monings and then BANG.
vitoansit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby super-spark » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:56 am

280 140 LIMITED+EXTRA TOYS MWB Med Roof, Mapped
I love my trannie and she don't answer back

super-spark
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby super-spark » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:00 am

vitoansit wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:the engine malfunction report during "cold" starting is a known concern thats under investigation.

I've noticed that when the low outside temp warning comes on I can't use anything else on the display ie flick between avg mls/speed,distance are all theese functions useless when it's a cold day?

When it comes on, push the button on the end of the stalk and it will go. It comes on at 4 deg(yellow) and again at 0 deg(red).

super-spark
280 140 LIMITED+EXTRA TOYS MWB Med Roof, Mapped
I love my trannie and she don't answer back

super-spark
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits