*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

bearing in my gearbox VXT75 with 2nd and now 3rd too

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

bearing in my gearbox VXT75 with 2nd and now 3rd too

Postby hauteneur » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 pm

During the roadworthiness test I passed a month ago, the person in charge suspected a bearing in the gearbox. Before the MOT, when I was driving I heard a noise that sounded like a bearing.

Just before the MOT I changed my front right wheel bearing and changed the oil. I'd bought three litres of Fuchs Titan Sintopoid 75W90 without pouring the third one in completely.

The second one doesn't go down well sometimes (sometimes at the start or after a few days of inactivity, rarely when it's hot and when it's hot the second one goes down pretty well in general and it seems to me that it appeared after the oil change.

My tips: I engage the clutch > I accelerate to just over 2,000 revs > I put the gear knob in 'hard' > after a while, when the rev counter needle comes back down, the second gear passes very easily.

This is the label of my gearbox 6C1R7002DC
I find this video Ford Transit Mk6 VXT75 gearbox bearings
this is my car in catcar.info
2007 Ford Transit 2.2L Diesel Clutch Replacement with Kevin-Albert Williams

what do you advise me to do?
MK7 2.2 110PS LHD FWD gearbox VXT75 manual 5 speeds and this is my car in Catcar. 280k km or 174k miles. van parked for 2-3 years on the street
hauteneur
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: bearing in my gearbox VXT75 with 2nd and now 3rd too

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:55 pm

metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hauteneur » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:27 pm

I see this bearing, i don't see the rust. When I put inside my auricular I feel slight rubbing. I cleaned with brake cleaner then new same oil and the big axle too. The big axle is not completely smooth and I have only the little spring. I took some photos.

In January 2024 when I drained it, I added 2.4 liters. When i did this work I added 0.2 liters from the selector hole. Actually in the gearbox there is 2.6 liters I think.

Some friends to see the selector says is good.

After this work:
When I drive in 2nd and 3rd I hear a noise. When I want to engage the 5th sometime problem with the gearshift knob

What do you think about my gearbox ? And about Synchronizers, bearings ?
MK7 2.2 110PS LHD FWD gearbox VXT75 manual 5 speeds and this is my car in Catcar. 280k km or 174k miles. van parked for 2-3 years on the street
hauteneur
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:05 pm

Don't know too much , almost zero about the vxt75

but did a quick search on Fuchs Titan Sintopoid 75W90

And its GL5 spec

This isn't suitable for gearboxes containing yellow metals

i don't know if your gearbox contains yellow metals --- the synchronizers on some or most transmisions are usually made of yellow metal --- brass or bronze.

GL5 spec oil attacks brass and bronze corroding it and degrading it

But it would have to be in there a few weeks before it did damage ...it would not act up strait away

There is a lot of talk on lots of ford forums on some recent boxes and how they are stiff to put into gear in cold conditions ..along with this discussion, is lots of talk about different grades of oil and how it made things worse or better.

perhaps try google search: "VXT75" Ford forums oil

The VXT75 may be in other non ford vehicles too ...i can tell you this much ..there isnt a great lot written about it anywhere on the net.

is that gearbox video you?

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby hauteneur » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

oooow no mistake ! i see that. WSD-M2C200-C-----75W-90 The draining was around the 20th january 2024... tomorrow i will check the oil can.
Maybe in first time i will change the oil before open the gearbox ! the damage is done ? Change all syncro/yellow metal ?

is that gearbox video you?

I don't make video. Me it's only the label in picture in my first post.
hauteneur
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby hauteneur » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:45 am

I have fill with motul 75w90 (I don't have the exact reference for now but not the LS) in store on the street and the goal is 2.15 liters. An other store in the street suggest me the motul 300 gear.

how do I change bearings ? specially bearings for the 2nd and 3rd. Do you have any tips ? I don't have and never use a hydraulic press, so I'm thinking of subcontracting. Is it a good idea to buy bearings broken and take it to the person who has the press ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ2kiBzXiIA
hauteneur
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:26 pm

i don't think you need a hydraulic press for any of them , you will need a puller to pull them off.
That video you linked to, i think the guys feeling the free play that is normal and not worn ..as some of the bearings are tapered rollers and they take that play up with the shims in the gearbox ...and he's making out that there is wear, when there isn't any ! GO FIGURE.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For tips on rebuilding the box ..i can steer you to 2017 transit custom box, by Alan Howatt - HE'S A top man.
not sure what it is ..and I'm sure its similar or may even be a vxt75..I think? all methods in this video will be almost the same for this type of box. mtx75 and vxt75 as far as i can make out are the same design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K79jMOPbuw

a lot of gearbox makers make the 75 type boxes ..i think they all copied or similar ..75 is the distance in mm between the shafts .
Note, he uses a air IMPACT gun ...this allows you to undo nuts without locking shafts ETC...MAKES THE JOB 100 PERCENT EASIER.

look at the Alan's other gearbox videos, to build up your knowledge, BEFORE YOU START

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:32 am

Use TQF in your manual gearbox and that's been recommended to me for years by couple separate gearbox repairers i know, my fwd gearbox had 700,000mls before I had to replace due to oil leak caused by a chunk of concrete on long journey

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits