*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

CV boot gone

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

CV boot gone

Postby richardw » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:27 pm

My MK7 n/s inner driveshaft boot has perished and mot is looming

Has anyone fitted the stretch type with a cone ? Can it be done without removing the entire shaft ?

Any tips on a supplier ?

Thanks in advance for replies
richardw
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: CV boot gone

Postby sherwoodcycles » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:06 am

I've used them a lot, (polo, golf, various vans) never had one fail, but they are very delicate one fitted, in that if you knock it against the wishbone, for example. Your get a snakebite puncture very easily. To fit one, you have to get the knuckle off, so you may as well just pull the shaft out whilst your there
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: CV boot gone

Postby richardstubbs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm

I've used one on the outer of the Mk6, so I can't see why it wouldn't work on the inner. It was cold weather the last time I did one and it makes it really hard to get over the cone (yea, warm it etc. but it soon cools down when it's 2 degrees out) but not much you can do about the weather. The advantage is that you don't have to drain the gearbox oil, the disadvantage is that it's right awkward to do and you'll definitely skin your knuckles. You only have to undo the hubnut (tight - I needed a sledgehammer on my 3/4" T-bar) and split the balljoint (easy - much smaller hammer) to get the shaft out of the hub.
2005 Mk6 85T280 Camper
richardstubbs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits