*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Woosh sound at 2500 rpm

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Woosh sound at 2500 rpm

Postby BigBadRod » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:07 pm

Hi all,
I have a 2008 MK7 Transit 2.2, when under load and accelerating there is a loud whooshing noise coming from the engine bay.
I thought it was a leak from the exhaust gasket where the exhaust meets the turbo. It seems to only happen when the turbo is active from 2500rpm to about 5000rpm.
I have tightened the exhaust bolts went down the road and the noise disappeared, very happy with myself.
After that I checked under the bonnet and noticed I hadn't reconnected the MAF sensor, I reconnected it and went out around the road again.
The noise returned, then I unplugged the MAF and the noise went away again, so driving with the MAF disconnected stops the sound.

I have no idea what to change next, could a faulty MAF sensor cause the whooshing sound or should I change the exhaust gasket to be sure.

Why would disconnecting the MAF stop the noise ?
BigBadRod

Re: Woosh sound at 2500 rpm

Postby gt_addict » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:09 pm

Could have something to do with the reading the maf gives causes the wastegate to open or something. When its unplugged the ecu doesnt have a reference point for airflow so keeps the wastegate closed.

Not knowing that model of engine well its only a guess.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby BigBadRod » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:54 pm

2.2L Duratorq TDCi is the engine, from checking pictures it looks like P8FA-B

Should the bar that opens the turbo waste gate be able to be move when pulled pushed as mine seems solid.
BigBadRod

Postby BigBadRod » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:46 pm

I have now replaced the turbo gasket but still the same noise, Whooshs from 2500rpm and disapears around 3500rpm.
The van seems to run smoothly, no smoke or rough running, I have also inspected all of the inter cooler pipes too. Checked the veins on the turbo and cleaned the MAF.
There was very little in the pipes in way or dirt / oil.
The actuator bar does move when the engine is running and revved - looks like it moves more with higher RPM up to about 4mm.

Am I just missing something simple !!!

Anyone with any more ideas ?
BigBadRod

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:03 pm

BigBadRod wrote:I have now replaced the turbo gasket but still the same noise, Whooshs from 2500rpm and disapears around 3500rpm.
The van seems to run smoothly, no smoke or rough running, I have also inspected all of the inter cooler pipes too. Checked the veins on the turbo and cleaned the MAF.
There was very little in the pipes in way or dirt / oil.
The actuator bar does move when the engine is running and revved - looks like it moves more with higher RPM up to about 4mm.

Am I just missing something simple !!!

Anyone with any more ideas ?

"Whooshing" noises on boost is usually a split boost pipe or intercooler....Is your inlet manifold not split somewhere..??

Wastegate turbos don't have "vanes", (not veins).

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BigBadRod » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:35 pm

I couldnt work out how to post a pic without it having a URL, but attached is a pic of the issue.
The EGR valve had snapped one of its mounts off. Looks like it has been off for some time.

I have blocked off the EGR pipes and re routed the water cooling. It is nice and quiet now and runs so much smoother.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigBadRod

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits