*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.2 RWD 125 350 Glow plug, turbo actuator and fog lamp fault

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2.2 RWD 125 350 Glow plug, turbo actuator and fog lamp fault

Postby rjsharpy » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:15 pm

Ok peeps need some guidance with some fault codes on my Mk7 2013 2.2 RWD 125 350.
Code: P0670 - Glow Plug Control Module 1 Control Circuit / Open. Status -28 So, the van generally starts fine (kept inside though) It stutters and splutters a bit after first glow plug light on dash. If I ‘glow plug’ twice straight away in a row on the dash she’ll fire straight up. I believe there are different, codes for individual glow plugs whereas above points to the module. I think the module is underneath the coolant expansion tank.
Access is pants on RWD 2.2 but I can get to two of the glow plug contacts. I get 10v instantaneously when the key is turned but this go straight to 0-2v on either glow plug I can get at. I don’t really want to take the induction manifold off to get to the glow plugs unless I have to. Are aftermarket GPCM any good or need to be genuine? Anyone had the same code?

Code: P2599 – status -24 and then -50 Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor 'A' Performance - Stuck High. I have had this twice in the last couple of weeks. The van goes into limp with an engine malfunction display on the dash. Pulled over, switched off for five minutes and then away again fine. Now the actuator is an absolute sod to see let alone get to on a RWD 2.2 I can’t hear any chattering or the actuator going mad but it’s very hard to see the linkage – I’ll struggle to get to the linkage to get the C clip off to see if there’s any play in it. Is it possible to do a calibration/learn of the actuator in FORscan? Determine max and min and rest itself?

Few bits of history may help. 170k miles – I’ve had it over a year but only done about 4k miles in it. When I first got it it intermittently hunted and lost power – or at least generally seemed pants on power but some times worse than others. Intercooler was blocked up so cleaned that out but was seeing the boost pipe collapsing intime with the surging/hunting and this corresponded with slight hunting on the rev counter. I put in a cheap turbo pressure gauge and was getting up to 1.5bar pressure but I could see it fluctuate/loos boost which led me to EGR valve. I replaced with a Hella unit but no difference. In the end I had the EGR deleted in software. The unit is unplugged currently. It is not blacked off, just working against its own return spring. No hunting or anything since then. At the same time I had software bumped to make it around 150hp. It drives how I expect a transit to now although sometimes when towing it feels sluggish at low revs – got to keep it in the turbo to actually get it to shift on. Probably have about 400kg of tools in it so far from limit. Tows occasionally.

Code: B1047 - Rear Fog Lamp Control Switch. Additional Fault Symptom (:29):
In the last two weeks I’ve been having the fog lamp illuminate on the dash when I’ve been pressing my brake pedal and sometimes with my indicator – so I think I’ve got a dodgy earth somewhere – any tips.

Code: U0155 - Lost Communication With The Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module
Module: Restraint Control Module
rjsharpy

Re: 2.2 RWD 125 350 Glow plug, turbo actuator and fog lamp f

Postby tranmx2 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:09 am

If I ‘glow plug’ twice straight away in a row on the dash she’ll fire straight up. I believe there are different, codes for individual glow plugs whereas above points to the module. I think the module is underneath the coolant expansion tank.
I think the module is underneath the coolant expansion tank. It is down that way on the PCM.
I believe there are different, codes for individual glow plugs whereas above points to the module. Could be different codes for the 4 glow plugs.
If I ‘glow plug’ twice straight away in a row on the dash she’ll fire straight up. Could be fault - supply - earth. Could be one or more glow plugs not working.
Can check for continuety to earth - the body of the glow plug is earth to the block - from the 4 wire connector above the thermostat. If no continuety it is likely the glow plug element has broken.

I don’t really want to take the induction manifold off to get to the glow plugs unless I have to. You have to take it off.
I get 10v instantaneously when the key is turned but this go straight to 0-2v - there are different glow plugs - some are 4V some 11V - you need to check which ones are fitted to your engine. Look at manufacturers of glow plugs and see what they fit to your engine - can use vin number on some sites like catcar, 7zap, Autodoc and other which are retailers. It can take a long time to find which ones are on your engine. There's info' on the web re controllers - be sure it is about the one on your vehicle.

Stuck High. can refer to V - if high V can refer to poor ground. If turbo vanes are stuck the actuator can't move them. The arm is at the back of the turbo - very difficult to get at in situ. The pnuematic valve type are easier to get at.
Is it possible to do a calibration/learn of the actuator in FORscan? Determine max and min and rest itself? Forscan live data - desired postion - actual postion %. You'll need to find out if 100% is closed or open.
There's info' on the web as to how the vane type work. The vanes close to give more velocity/pressure to the turbo. Like squezing the end of a garden hose.

Intercooler was blocked up - 170 k the rest of the inlet system shall also be gundged up - check post re MAP small hole blocked. Look up what causes intercooler blockage.
The intercooler is blocked - oil vapour from rocker box - affects turbo, catalytic, DPF, MAP, etc.

170k miles - things need renewing, depends on how it has been driven/maintained.

At the same time I had software bumped to make it around 150hp. Maybe not a good idea doing it on a worn engine. I don't know what the HP increase means - is it for racing or for bottom end power? My 2.2 needs about 1300 rpm to get some umph out of it, it is not a low rpm slogger.

Code: B1047 - Rear Fog Lamp Control Switch. Additional Fault Symptom (:29): Check the rear light clusters for rust on the top connector. Look inside the lamp holder at the metal strips, they can move/rust - short out.

Code: U0155 - Lost Communication With The Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module Module: Restraint Control Module - There's info' on the web re' this sort of thing. Mine has a regular communication DTC on the BMC.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits