*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2002 Mk6 Transit Diesel - Fault Code Reader

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2002 Mk6 Transit Diesel - Fault Code Reader

Postby bromleydan55 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:58 pm

Hi all,

Recently picked up a 2002 Mk6 Transit - no fault codes/warnings on the dash however a distinct loss of power as soon as I hit any kind on incline. Also a notable diesel smell when it starts AND, knocking in the engine.

Initially thought it might be the pump timing solenoid - took it to a couple of garages and was told the fuel pump is on its way out (only deciphered by audible listen of the engine running and no inspection), however I have now found that the EGR vacuum solenoid has been actively disconnected and was hanging lose in the engine bay (still attached by only one hose).

Went to buy an OBDII scanner to see where the fault may lie as I'm a unsure what the cause may be, however the StreetWise one's claim they only work with Diesel vehicles from 2004 onwards, wheras I have a 2002..

Question: Can anyone tell me if there is an OBD scanner that will work with a 2002 diesel? Also, if I am experiencing loss of power, diesel smell and no starting issues, is it likely the EGR vacuum solenoid is the issue and not the entire fuel pump (EGR solenoid £220, fuel pump £1,100-£1,500 hence the desire to figure out which it might be before counting out the cash)?

Many thanks,
Jim
bromleydan55

Re: 2002 Mk6 Transit Diesel - Fault Code Reader

Postby knobby1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 pm

bromleydan55 wrote:Hi all,

Recently picked up a 2002 Mk6 Transit - no fault codes/warnings on the dash however a distinct loss of power as soon as I hit any kind on incline. Also a notable diesel smell when it starts AND, knocking in the engine.

Initially thought it might be the pump timing solenoid - took it to a couple of garages and was told the fuel pump is on its way out (only deciphered by audible listen of the engine running and no inspection), however I have now found that the EGR vacuum solenoid has been actively disconnected and was hanging lose in the engine bay (still attached by only one hose).

Went to buy an OBDII scanner to see where the fault may lie as I'm a unsure what the cause may be, however the StreetWise one's claim they only work with Diesel vehicles from 2004 onwards, wheras I have a 2002..

Question: Can anyone tell me if there is an OBD scanner that will work with a 2002 diesel? Also, if I am experiencing loss of power, diesel smell and no starting issues, is it likely the EGR vacuum solenoid is the issue and not the entire fuel pump (EGR solenoid £220, fuel pump £1,100-£1,500 hence the desire to figure out which it might be before counting out the cash)?

Many thanks,
Jim

Firstly...welcome to the nuthouse..! I'm one of the longer term nuts.. :mrgreen:

Do you have a FWD or RWD..?? Which engine..?? 75, 90, 100, 115, 120, 125 or 135.??

Couple of things, you don't have to have a fault light on to have fault codes stored. The glow plug light doubles as a DTC light on the Mk6's. Someone has obviously disabled the EGR valve, you're best off just blanking it, plugging the vacuum lines and leaving well enough alone, they often more trouble than they're worth.

"All" Mk6 machines from very early 2000 unti April 17 2006 build date are "NOT" OBD-ll compatible, so 99% of the newer readers won't work. You need Forscan and one of their compatible cables. Its "free" to download onto a windows lappy and the cables are cheaper than taking your van to a garage to be plugged in. Forscan works much better than some of the very expensive generic readers. Try to steer away from the bluetooth or WiFi versions as they can be a bit flakey.

https://forscan.org/download.html

Mk6 TDDi fuel pumps themselves rarely fail, it's the electronic gubbins on them which usually fail, such as the timing solenoid or EDC unit.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: 2002 Mk6 Transit Diesel - Fault Code Reader

Postby bromleydan55 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:09 pm

Dear Lord Knobrot,

Really appreciate the response - one mechanic did suggest just ignoring the EGR vacuum but I wasn't sure if that was sensible so i'm glad I asked. One hose has been plugged with a screw, other hoses from the vacuum solenoid are MIA. Perhaps I just reattach with new and plug in similar fashion?

The van is a T350 90 TD Duratorq and I believe it is RWD.

I'll have a crack at Forscan and see what that throws up first, then maybe the timing solenoid. Interestingly, I think I can see where current timing solenoid wires have been cut and unit replaced as it's wrapped in shoddy insulation and wires are 'tentatively' twisted together.

In your experience, would a defective pump timing solenoid give off the symtpoms i'm experiencing; lack of power on incline, engine knock and diesel stink?

All the best, Jim.
bromleydan55

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits