*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Detonation/Pinking

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Detonation/Pinking

Postby chompersnz » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:31 am

Hi guys, I have a 2006 build rwd 2.4 transit with a detonation/pinking issue.

Bit of a back story.. I picked it up just before xmas after a few test drives, during those drives I didn’t notice any issues. Once home we did some cleaning etc then took it work to regas the aircon while doing that noticed the airflow meter was unplugged so plugged it in thinking that’d help.. drove it home and it definitely seemed to have more go, happy days!

First trip away on some hills I noticed what I’d describe as pinking noise under load which I didn’t think was a thing with diesels, its not constantly doing it, on the flat ground it fine and between 2400-3000 rpm it’ll climb a hill fine it’s only if it drops below that rmp under load. After a bit of reading through forums it seemed blocked injections could be the cause so when it was empty I added some injector cleane to a full tank, unfortunately with one thing or another we didn’t get away till this weekend to run it and see if it was any better but a tank and a half later and no noticeable difference.

Tonight a had a yarn with a mate who’s a large truck mechanic and although he noted it’s not really what he works on he suggested a few ideas I though I’d run passed you guys here. One thing he asked was is it the same hot or cold and when I thought about it it’s way more noticeable warm, another question was is the pinking better with the airflow sensor unplugged again which it is but also the performance is worse. He suggested I scan it to check for any faults which I’ll do once I’ve fixed a oil leak, but also could a faulty airflow sensor or possibly temperature sensor cause pinking?

Anyone come across a similar issue and have any suggestions or ideas?

Tia

Paul
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Detonation/Pinking

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:45 pm

chompersnz wrote:Hi guys, I have a 2006 build rwd 2.4 transit with a detonation/pinking issue.

Bit of a back story.. I picked it up just before xmas after a few test drives, during those drives I didn’t notice any issues. Once home we did some cleaning etc then took it work to regas the aircon while doing that noticed the airflow meter was unplugged so plugged it in thinking that’d help.. drove it home and it definitely seemed to have more go, happy days!

First trip away on some hills I noticed what I’d describe as pinking noise under load which I didn’t think was a thing with diesels, its not constantly doing it, on the flat ground it fine and between 2400-3000 rpm it’ll climb a hill fine it’s only if it drops below that rmp under load. After a bit of reading through forums it seemed blocked injections could be the cause so when it was empty I added some injector cleane to a full tank, unfortunately with one thing or another we didn’t get away till this weekend to run it and see if it was any better but a tank and a half later and no noticeable difference.

Tonight a had a yarn with a mate who’s a large truck mechanic and although he noted it’s not really what he works on he suggested a few ideas I though I’d run passed you guys here. One thing he asked was is it the same hot or cold and when I thought about it it’s way more noticeable warm, another question was is the pinking better with the airflow sensor unplugged again which it is but also the performance is worse. He suggested I scan it to check for any faults which I’ll do once I’ve fixed a oil leak, but also could a faulty airflow sensor or possibly temperature sensor cause pinking?

Anyone come across a similar issue and have any suggestions or ideas?
Tia
Paul

2006 build can be either Mk6 or Mk7...which do you have..?? TDDi or TDCi..?? You're right, Diesels don't normally suffer from detonation or "pinking" as you call it like petrol engines do if the timing is too far advanced. You definitely need to get the codes read. You may have some other underlying issues.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chompersnz » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 pm

Hi, just had a look and it’s a tdci engine, will take to work and scan it once I’ve fixed the oil leak we’ve been discussing on my other thread.
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 pm

chompersnz wrote:Hi, just had a look and it’s a tdci engine, will take to work and scan it once I’ve fixed the oil leak we’ve been discussing on my other thread.

The Mk6 135 TDCi I believe.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits