*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

OBDII data port in MK6

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: OBDII data port in MK6

Postby motorwise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:20 pm

dazza41 wrote:Hi anyone know what type of reader I need for a 2001 2.4 transit mwb. i have a problem with the immobiliser I think. Will a reader show up a fault with this.

Thanks in advance

if you want to spend a few thousand I can recommend something but there's nothing you can do cheaply with this - sorry

immo gives flash codes via the LED as well scanner info - have a search
Ford Transit - Backbone Of Britain
http://www.motorwise.net
if you want to get on in life, its not what you know, its not who you know, its what you know about who you know
motorwise
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby martynx » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 pm

It would be great if OBD & OBD2 were all you needed to know but its so misleading that you can almost just call the plug scoket type OBD & OBD2 ignoring the supposed universal protocols..

Pre " CAN " Fords ( most before 2005 ) use J1850PWM & then some other protocol extension on top on that !!! on petrol fords you can use some J1850 pwm compatible tools & on diesels you generally cant . ELM327 based interfaces does not work on trannies for example & is the best spec interface you can buy as in has the most compatibility.. i bought all sorts of rubbish before i learned all that & bought an IDS/VCM, which is the ford dealer tool..

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby doubledutch » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:40 am

Martynx,

Ford cars, also their vans, are OBD compliant 2005 onwards. Is it too simple to think that the data on the EOBD port should be readable?
I'm not hindered by too much knowledge about this subject but if "Brussels" forces all car manufactureres to comply to the EOBD standard than there must be a simple tool possibleto read the EOBD data.
doubledutch
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby glenandemm » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:48 am

could you not buy an alientech powergate box for fords and take a copy of the map,then get one of the remap programs i cant remeber what theyre called but ive seen something on the remapping sites,i think they help you by checking the rewrite is ok?
and also the powergates read the fault codes as well and i believe theyre quite reliable too!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby martynx » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:40 am

doubledutch wrote:Martynx,

Ford cars, also their vans, are OBD compliant 2005 onwards. Is it too simple to think that the data on the EOBD port should be readable?
I'm not hindered by too much knowledge about this subject but if "Brussels" forces all car manufactureres to comply to the EOBD standard than there must be a simple tool possibleto read the EOBD data.

Launch & Snap-on make tools that probably work on nearly all inc fords , but they cost £1000 plus... & then you will find your scania truck isnt supported or your Nissan Skyline.. & you will pay twice the cost of an elmscan to add modules for better or newer make coverage...

"OBD compliance" isnt enough for your tool to work oK, its oversimplfying it - If there was or is a tool that covers every vehicle thats great news - what made me angry is that elmscan appears to support every protocol, also the scangauge fuel computer, & users find their transit is covered, so they buy a post 2005 model van & that isnt supported either..

I am just saying that generally ford & Gm use a protocol that isnt supported by most lower priced scan tools so get a specific answer from a seller & a garantee of compatibility on your chosen make before you buy..

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby martynx » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:49 am

glenandemm wrote:could you not buy an alientech powergate box for fords and take a copy of the map,then get one of the remap programs i cant remeber what theyre called but ive seen something on the remapping sites,i think they help you by checking the rewrite is ok?
and also the powergates read the fault codes as well and i believe theyre quite reliable too!

I gave Ricky , the earlier poster , one of my i-maps ( which are rebranded alientech powergates ) about a year back & he sent me his maps for modifying.. it worked well, & he was particularly pleased about the smoke / emissions. In honk kong they have real stringent tests & his had failed the local ""MOT" while standard :) . with the tuning done via I-map ( & the air filter removed :wink: ) it passed fine..

I dont think there were any ford remappers on honk kong at the time.

The powergates are excellent tools, very reliable & cool for ford code reading & clearing... italian made as well :wink: ( no offence Ricky :) )
Last edited by martynx on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby aussieherc » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:24 am

Hi guys I have a hanatech multiscan that reads o4 mk6 both 2.4 and 2.5 both petrol and diesel. although must confess I have only read my o4 mk6 with 2.4L rwd.Are the hanatech range of scan tools availible there?
aussieherc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dan T » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:18 am

Delphi seem good on the 2000 :arrow: Transit
Launch i've heard arn't so good on fords at the moment.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Oldvandriver » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 pm

These all seem to be old posts, has there been any more information on a working scanner for mk 6's come to light in the intervening years ? I used my VaG scanner today on my old golf got me in the area in one go. Would really like one for new(to me!) mk 6 if one available.
Oldvandriver
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Oldvandriver wrote:These all seem to be old posts, has there been any more information on a working scanner for mk 6's come to light in the intervening years ? I used my VaG scanner today on my old golf got me in the area in one go. Would really like one for new(to me!) mk 6 if one available.

The search function, (top right of screen) is your friend...do you just want to read & clear fault codes or do you wish to delve a lot deeper..?? There's many different scanners which may do the job but remember.... the Mk6 machines are "NOT" OBD-II compliant.

Forscan & IDS are your best bet for doing most functions.

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Oldvandriver » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:20 pm

what I wanted to be able to do was to get an idea of what is going on with the engine, for instance is there an egr fault or is there another fault in the turbo, etc Just trying to find out if there was a Scanner that actually worked with mk 6s. A secondary problem is that I don't actually own a laptop, more a phone and tablet user ! Hell,I'd spring for Bluedriver if I was sure it'd work on mk 6s. My intention is just to run an old van for a couple of years and have some idea what's going on with it. I'll be honest,my last tranny I ran for 2 years and apart from a belt tensioner I never touched the thing (busy) and it never missed a beat. unfortunately it died of van pox. I' like to treat this one better.
Oldvandriver
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Oldvandriver wrote:what I wanted to be able to do was to get an idea of what is going on with the engine, for instance is there an egr fault or is there another fault in the turbo, etc Just trying to find out if there was a Scanner that actually worked with mk 6s. A secondary problem is that I don't actually own a laptop, more a phone and tablet user ! Hell,I'd spring for Bluedriver if I was sure it'd work on mk 6s. My intention is just to run an old van for a couple of years and have some idea what's going on with it. I'll be honest,my last tranny I ran for 2 years and apart from a belt tensioner I never touched the thing (busy) and it never missed a beat. unfortunately it died of van pox. I' like to treat this one better.

If that's the case...Forscan is a good thing indeed....the GUI is very intuitive and can be customized to suit what you want, there's a screen which has any number of parameters which you can have on screen at any one time...very customizeable.

Do a little research on boobtoob and you should be good to go.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Andycush » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:59 pm

The ford f super mk2 works well on my mk6
Andycush
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits