*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

remap or chip

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

remap or chip

Postby mwncidur » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:12 pm

What are the differences? What is the best option? What are rough prices?
I plan on doing it on my 125. Would be interesting to hear your views.

:wink:
mwncidur
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: remap or chip

Postby Guy88 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:13 pm

remap for me

vantuner.co.uk
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby motorwise » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:20 pm

same thing really - a remap just rewrites the information on the chip - the remap of course is more versatile as a straight chip replacement because it can be tweaked, on a rolling road, for instance

speak to martyn in guys link
Ford Transit - Backbone Of Britain
http://www.motorwise.net
if you want to get on in life, its not what you know, its not who you know, its what you know about who you know
motorwise
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mwncidur » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:26 pm

cheers guys, will get on the case. :D
mwncidur
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

different methods of van remap , chip tuning on transits

Postby martynx » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:18 am

Remapping is really just the modern name for chip tuning , you used to have to physically remove the memory chip that held the maps before you were able to modify them, then solder or push it, or a completely new chip , back in.. from about 2 years ago "remote" devices became available that could read the chip via the diagnostic port..

On transits the exception to this general rule of progress is the lucas epic injection system used on mk5's . These use a one time programmable chip that you remove , read & discard.. a new "many time programmable" ( dig the grammar :roll: ) chip is written with the modified data then put back in the ECU. The processor of the ECU still wont allow for remote programming despite the new chip, so a remap on these is a much longer & more involved process, especially if tweaks are needed, as you have to repeat the whole process.. This is how all "chip tuning " was carried out from 80's Cosworths right up to when the current remote devices were introduced & the length & complexity of the process was the were the main reasons why the cost was often £500+ & why £250 quid tuning boxes became so popular ...

Most tuners now use remote devices to read & write the chip in the ECU that holds the maps & they use the chip removal method as a backup or on very latest vehicles of which the remote devices have yet to cover..

Theres another method of reading & writing an ECU's memory chip called BDM..( bench diagnostic mode) this involves removing the ECU & connecting to some pins on the circuit board of the ECU.. After assembly of an new ECU, the factory would use this method to program the ECU.. The benefit of this method, from a tuners point of view is that it bypasses the need to solder, it bypasses some security processes that attempt to keep tuners away from the copyrighted data & bypasses the possibility of errors that arise from remote programming procedures. Its relavent because the ECU's can easily be damaged or written off just from a programming error & BDM offers the least risk of this & can in some cases recover ECU's " damaged " by other methods..

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Les111ROC » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Vantuner (Martyn) lavished his attentions on my mk7 130
Result more power :twisted: , more mpg :)
Nuff said

Les
Les111ROC
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby neo1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:46 pm

I was thinking of getting my 125ps done as well, is it as reliable or is it likely to start spliting boost hoses and manifolds and stuff, i dont want an unreliable van :shock:
neo1
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martynx » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:30 pm

neo1 wrote:I was thinking of getting my 125ps done as well, is it as reliable or is it likely to start spliting boost hoses and manifolds and stuff, i dont want an unreliable van :shock:

Most good van tuning is mild tuning Neo, the engine wont feel stressed at all.. the usual result is less throttle & gear changes to make the same progress

Plus if your 125 mk6 is a tddi then no boost is added , if its a 125tdci then just a few % gives good power so theres very little extra pressure to annoy your pipework. :)

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby neo1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Yeah mines the TDDI rwd 125ps engine, so hows the power increase made then if boost isnt raised Van tuner does is it 25 bhp upgrade or something 8)
neo1
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mwncidur » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:57 pm

My trouble is my location :( spitting distance from the irish sea.
What sort of power increase can be expected?
mwncidur
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby martynx » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:09 am

mwncidur wrote:My trouble is my location :( spitting distance from the irish sea.
What sort of power increase can be expected?

If your confident with a pc i can send you an i-map box & we can do it remotely - i actually havent done a 125tddi yet but i hear 30hp is hiding in there..

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby martynx » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:11 am

neo1 wrote:Yeah mines the TDDI rwd 125ps engine, so hows the power increase made then if boost isnt raised Van tuner does is it 25 bhp upgrade or something 8)

On that engine mainly fuel & timing maps ...

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:28 pm

i might be interested in an imap box as im all the way up in manchester,how much are you looking for them and are they just like bluefin units where you just plug them into the diag socket?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby martynx » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:49 pm

glenandemm wrote:i might be interested in an imap box as im all the way up in manchester,how much are you looking for them and are they just like bluefin units where you just plug them into the diag socket?

Same as bluefin apart from you need to read the vehicles ecu with it 1st then email me the "file ", i email back the tuned file then you load that into the imap & then use it to program the vehicle.

The imap is a standalone unit so no need to have a laptop in the van etc..

More complex than bluefin but far more flexible , you do need to be comfortable with loading up software from a cd & emailing files etc..

Forgot to mention , the imap is a fault code reader as well & you can hit erase & use it on as many vehicles as you wish subject to buying a new map for each..

Cost is £399..

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mwncidur » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks Martynx, as soon as funds allow i will be in touch. 8)
mwncidur
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits