*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 EGR valve - Disconnect?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Mk7 EGR valve - Disconnect?

Postby plasterman2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:59 pm

dont know if this helps anyone but my car had egr valve problems and i bought a blanking plate off ebay
and blanked it off complety leaving the egr connected to the wires and just held on with one of the bolts on one side and also bolt up the other side of the plate so the ecu still thinks its attached but its not .

i was also told you can do away with it completly by having the ecu reprogrammed,

the car has been running fine eversince
plasterman2

Postby pusd » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Ok, had a little tinker this morning.
Van feels and drives fine as stock, on occasional journeys it seems to have a bit more turbo lag & a kick at about 2k revs. I feel this could be egr related. Fuel consumption increases a tad when this happens too.
But as I hate the things anyway, I want it disconnected/removed.

I pulled the multiplug off just to see if the van drove any different.....
So far no EM light (only driven 5 miles) and a bit smoother & 'gruntier' low down and a more linear build in power.

So far so good, although I reckon the light will show soon.

Phil
pusd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jacko1611 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:22 pm

atlantic909 wrote:I have a 57 plate 130 GLX 2.2 Tourneo minibus. My bus has exactly the same symptons described here. When warm I loose power when starting off from lights etc , changing gear , when I accelerate and when going fast on the Motorway. Its back into Ford (again!!!) next week.

I bought the bus 15th December 2007 for use as a taxi. First new vehicle I ever bought! When it runs right its fantastic

As well as the problem in this thread Ive had

* Bad hunting and cutting out since 7,000 miles - still not sorted

Fuel pressure relief and metering valves and check the rod on ure turbo hasnt come off, suspect it wont have in which case prob wants a turbo
not another E G F*****G R!
jacko1611
Ford Technician

Postby pusd » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:16 pm

With the multiplug disconnected from the EGR, the E/M light comes on.

I reconnected the electrics to put the light off & made a plate to blank off the the EGR.
This still put on the E/M light.......

Would damage be done to the ECU if the multiplug for the EGR was left disconnected for a prolonged period of time, ie. Permanently??? (& just run with the light on)

The van is so much nicer to drive at low revs with the EGR disconnected.

Phil
pusd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Putting the plate in will bring the light on as well
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:14 am

Anyone tried taking out the centre gear from the EGR?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby ake » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:34 am

My guess would be that this would put the light on as well
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby pusd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:55 am

ake wrote:Putting the plate in will bring the light on as well

Yes;
"I reconnected the electrics to put the light off & made a plate to blank off the the EGR.
This still put on the E/M light.......
"

So my guess is that no matter how the EGR is blocked, disconnected or, immobilised etc, the vehicle electronics are able to pick up the lack of exhaust gasses in the inlet manifold (under certain conditions). Putting up the EM light.

Dunno how though!!!

Maybe a combination of the volume & temp of air through the MAF(?) and intake air temp???

Anyone reckon it's safe to unplug the EGR and run with the EM light on all the time?

Phil
pusd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martynx » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:55 am

I think part of the current emmisions reg's state that the MIL must be lit if any emissions component is "malfunctioning " .

Doesn't explain why some MIL's dont come on when EGR is disconnected of course but may explain why on older transits your much more likely to get away with it. :)

My current theory on why many Mk7's run worse after blanking is that the EGR valve on the Mk7's adds a lot of pressurized gas into the inlet tract & as theres a MAP sensor just after it .The MAP sensor reads less pressure & therefore the ECU changes fuelling .. only a theory though :!: based on the fact that on many other vehicles the MAP sensor is before the EGR so isnt affected as much by what the EGR is doing.

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby pusd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:31 pm

martynx wrote:
My current theory on why many Mk7's run worse after blanking is that the EGR valve on the Mk7's ....

Strange, mine runs better when disconnected!

A smoother & stronger pull from lower revs. The van's now happy pulling away from 30mph and below in 4th and feels quite nippy with it whereas before (EGR connected) it feels a bit strangled until about 2k, when you get a sudden surge.

Phil
pusd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martynx » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 pm

pusd wrote:
martynx wrote:
My current theory on why many Mk7's run worse after blanking is that the EGR valve on the Mk7's ....

A smoother & stronger pull from lower revs. The van's now happy pulling away from 30mph and below in 4th and feels quite nippy with it whereas before (EGR connected) it feels a bit strangled until about 2k, when you get a sudden surge.

Phil

Thats good to hear :) i am only basing my finding's on 2 i did myself ,a 140 & an 85.. hopefully they were the exception .

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby pusd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:50 pm

martynx wrote:
pusd wrote:
martynx wrote:

Phil

Thats good to hear :) i am only basing my finding's on 2 i did myself ,a 140 & an 85.. hopefully they were the exception .

I suppose we can only speak as we find, eh!

(Mines a 110 by the way).

I was thinking about an 'econo tune' by yourself but I'll wait a while until I'm happy with the EGR situation first.
Would you have an 'issue' with tuning a van with the E/M light on due to the EGR being disconnected?

Phil
pusd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martynx » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:07 pm

I'd have no issue Phil - quite the opposite :!: - Normally EGR problems mean me doing the remap again when they get replaced & the dealer updates the ECU but as your happy with yours disconnected then that probably would rule that out .. :)

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby pikeybob » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Is this where that s**t of an EGR is ????

The only mk7 still with ORIGINAL egr valve!!!!!!
pikeybob
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jacko1611 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:45 pm

no thats the fuel metering valve which also knacker up. the egr is that below the airbox with the grey plug on it
not another E G F*****G R!
jacko1611
Ford Technician

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits