*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

side door wont open

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: side door wont open

Postby winterheating » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:51 am

my mk6 had a SLD prob when i first got it, would only operate when it wanted to.

give the inside of the lock a good blast with wd40, and touch wood 5 years on its never missed a beat.
Last edited by winterheating on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul0li » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:33 pm

winterheating wrote:sy
Guy88 wrote:can you not take the motor out and operate it all by hand and remove the deadlock
paul0li wrote:I'd like to try that, but I cant get at it from the inside with the door locked.. Unless you know how :?:

the motor part is the bottom of the lock where the 3 wires go to, can remove that from inside.

ive got one laid about somewhere i'll have a look see how easy it comes off.

I'd appreciate that, thanks. I can't work out how to get the damn thing off. It's fiddly enough just pulling wires out :!:
paul0li
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby winterheating » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:40 pm

have you checked theres a voltage getting to the wires, when pressing fob :?: just before you start dismantling a a good lock?

the wires come down that pillar, is there anything screwed in the back that may hgave damaged the loom :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul0li » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:00 pm

winterheating wrote:have you checked theres a voltage getting to the wires, when pressing fob :?: just before you start dismantling a a good lock?

the wires come down that pillar, is there anything screwed in the back that may hgave damaged the loom :?:

I've not got a fob, just 1 key. I got wife to turn key in door to lock and unlock and double lock while I put multimeter on. Got some voltage but dont know how much i should have and across which wires. I then took a spare battery and put 12v to red/white then black/white but nothing happened........
paul0li
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby winterheating » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:08 pm

looks like you'll need a new lock/motor then :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul0li » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:17 pm

winterheating wrote:looks like you'll need a new lock/motor then :?:

I thought so, but how do I get the bloody thing out :?: :?: :?:
If i cant get the door open.
paul0li
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby thunderider » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:59 pm

tried putting the key in the drivers door turn it rightt twicce,or left twice as tis also activates the double locking
I am the god of hell fire.....
thunderider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paul0li » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:31 pm

thunderider wrote:tried putting the key in the drivers door turn it rightt twicce,or left twice as tis also activates the double locking

Yep, tried it. Thats how I used to open it before it broke :wink:
paul0li
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby franc-n-freighter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Time for some brute force and pig ignorance!!!!!!! I have seen these doors lifted out of the runners without too much damage, trouble is I don't know how they did it, maybe if you left the van overnight in south mimms services on a weekend with a generator in the back the same bloke who did our works van could show you how?
franc-n-freighter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby winterheating » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:02 pm

had a look at a lock today, the motor simply comes off with 2 screws :!: then can just push the lock up to remove the deadlock. might be able to get them if you drill 2 holes to acsses them :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cptbligh » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:40 am

Noticed you had this problem a while ago. Did you ever find a solution. I have exactly the same problem with the same symptoms. Locks sound as though they are unlocking but stays locked.
cptbligh

Postby 44rio » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Having this problem myself now. Ive tried all of the above methods but the door won't open. It seems to me like the latch is staying closed over. The outside handle and inside handle are also broken as is the little yellow plastic switch on the inside to lock and unlock. Its fallen inside!! Any suggestions please...
44rio
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cptbligh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Does the door sound like it is unlocking when using the key? If it does but still fails to open then there might be a simple solution. If you can get access to the side door through the rear of the van, you will find a black rotary knob on the side door which is part of the lock mechanism. Rotate this knob (clockwise I think?) by about a 1/4 of a turn and it should release the door. If it does not release the door, it could be that one of the two door release cables is not fully releasing the door lock mechanism when the door handle is released. Hence, the door will not unlock and open.
This was the problem I found with mine after breaking in the hard and costly way!
I suggest you take off the inside side door board if you have one fitted so you have access to the internals of the side door.
Release the door cables to the lock. Make sure the latch mechanisms are fully home and then the black release knob should open the door.
Fords didn't fit the knob for no reason, that is your 'get it open' quick. It may be that you will need to replace one of the door release cables.
Hope this helps
cptbligh

Postby 44rio » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. the little black knob broke off along time ago and the yellow plastic part i was referring to was the inner part of that knob but it had also broken and fell inside!! i have managed today to open the door after one hour or so of cursing and banging and of course a 4'' grinder.i ended up butchering the lock. it seems the release cables had stretched slightly and the lock mechanism itself had got stiff. it was very hard to mobe with a screwdrver after i cut away all the metal shielding. new lock needed....
44rio
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby herman0786 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:42 pm

I no i'm a bit late, but i had the same problem with the back door on my mk 6, the way i was able to sort it was to close all doors with you outside, put key in driver door turn to open position and back to nuetral,do this 4 to 5 times one after the other without stopping and all the locks on the van automatically open and close a few times to reset themselves, it worked for me and another guy who couldn't get his van unlocked at all
herman0786
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits