*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

280/100 driveability problems

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

280/100 driveability problems

Postby Phil_G » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:21 pm

Hiya

Right, I know this is a long shot, and perhaps a futile question but Im getting a little annoyed with our van and am prepared to try anything.

The van in question is a 52 plate 280/100 short base and front wheel drive.

The fault is basically that it drops into limp home mode at random pretty much and its getting on my wick. There seems to be no other "catalyst" to the problem as it can happen when running (50+mph) slowing down at junctions, accelerating on sliproads, and anytime inbetween.

The only perhaps clue may be that its a bit smoky under load and that it will start to jolt and jerk about at lightish throttle for no reason. The same effect would be had if you just stamped on the throttle and then let go in a lowish gear. I am wondering if its something to do (in part) with a throttle sensor/fuelling owing to the fact I can think of nothing else that could cause the smoking and jolting about. I am more concerned about the jerking than the smoke, as when that was reported, there was well over 1/2 ton on board and I guess that could contribute to that problem.

When its going right, it runs very well and is an overall plesant vehicle to drive with a fair turn of speed for a commercial.

We bought a transit (again) as the previous mk4 was quite a good van, and we hoped that this one would give reliable service. After 80k we are already chasing gremlins about and we aren't impressed at all.

Being as there was a fault light flashed, when the waterpump and PAS pump failed the dealers read the ECU and reset it (i presume), claiming there to be no codes stored on it to indicate problems.

There is no excessive turbo noise, oil smoke/consumption and fuel consumption would seem to be on par with the figures ive seen on the board for vans of this type.

Any help that can be given please feel free, and any more info you need, I will try to supply that as best I can

Thanks for your time - its appreciated!

Phil
Phil_G
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby motorwise » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:42 pm

this really needs to go on a scanner for component live readings to be studied while the fault is occuring - does the engine management light or glow plug light illuminate while the fault is occuring? you don't need a main dealer for this most independant garages should be able to help you with this

good luck - post the outcome
Ford Transit - Backbone Of Britain
http://www.motorwise.net
if you want to get on in life, its not what you know, its not who you know, its what you know about who you know
motorwise
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Phil_G » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:01 pm

motorwise wrote:this really needs to go on a scanner for component live readings to be studied while the fault is occuring - does the engine management light or glow plug light illuminate while the fault is occuring? you don't need a main dealer for this most independant garages should be able to help you with this

good luck - post the outcome

Aha

I think we are on to something - Its the glowplug light and I was labouring under the illusion that that doubled as the ems light.

Does that help to narrow it down a bit?

The problem with getting it to a garage is getting it to do it, Some days its terrible (to the extent my 1995 1.7d combo seems preferable) and other days its awesome.

It has also been on a code reader, with no result.
Phil_G
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Mileage :?: :D
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Phil_G » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:58 pm

82,000 and change
Phil_G
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Phil_G » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:34 pm

Well,

Its heading in to the garage tomorrow afternoon, but the boss has already indicated that this may well be the last transit we own, and we wont be looking at the ford range of small commercials either to replace our fleet with.

Its a seasonal business we run and the fact we cant trust the damned thing not to conk out (as it has done once and landed us with a £550 bill :x ) at the height of our busy season has seriously dented our confidence in the vehicle (that was a very substantial, brand new purchase)

The limp home mode now comes on at any time and, at times, you dont even need to drive it 10 yards (about as far as it has moved in the last week) before its off on its own planet.

Thankfully we have a pair of smaller reliable vehicles that get the job done :)

Why cant vehicles be more reliable/less complicated nowadays? - tis annoying.

Immensely annoying.
Phil_G
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:50 pm

Sounds to me there may have been a fault code but the dealer cleared it before reading it :roll:
The faults are stored as far as I know, so if it's done it since it would be stored again :wink:
It's possible it could be something as simple as pump timing (smoke related)
or injector servicing :idea:
Where abouts are you :?:
Tommorow I'll be going for an MOT and I know the chap there has a code reader :wink:
Nr.Heathrow :?:
Or simply try another dealer but tell them the whole story :!: They might just read it for free :idea:

Sorry it's been a PINA :!: Good luck with it :!:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Phil_G » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:02 am

Andyg wrote:Sounds to me there may have been a fault code but the dealer cleared it before reading it :roll:
The faults are stored as far as I know, so if it's done it since it would be stored again :wink:
It's possible it could be something as simple as pump timing (smoke related)
or injector servicing :idea:
Where abouts are you :?:
Tommorow I'll be going for an MOT and I know the chap there has a code reader :wink:
Nr.Heathrow :?:
Or simply try another dealer but tell them the whole story :!: They might just read it for free :idea:

Sorry it's been a PINA :!: Good luck with it :!:

Chers pal, but we are up in north wales.

I too think the dealer knackered up as I reported the breakdown as being potentially a sensor problem owing to the fact that the temp gauge was jumping to teh right with no signs of overheating. ( the computer then saw this and decided to shut the f*** engine off with no warning. First time was on a roundabout, with a wagon jammed up my arse and I nearly got squashed :@)

Turned out that the waterpump forgot what it was for and while it was at it, destroyed the pas pump too. There was also a FORTNIGHT delay in getting it fixed as ford was apparently "Out of stock of the power steering pump" - a fortnight and NOT ONCE did the damned dealer ring us to let us know what was happening.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, and I will say to the mechanic (a customer) what has been mentioned - My thoughts are below:

Pump Timing: I cant understand how this would be an issue as it does work (sometimes) so how would that change? Sensor of some sort? Its not persistantly smoky and it doesn't seem to be burning *too much* fuel

Injector servicing: I must admit this thought had crossed my mind as it would go some way to explaining the smoke, and also the poor performance, but, its not cut and dried like it would be with an old van with a basic engine, as some sensor may be misfiring and tricking the computer into it.

We have tried all sorts of injector cleaners and the like, but they dont seem to have made much difference - time to get heavy on its ass I think!
Phil_G
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:16 am

I would also remove and refit the engine's the bodywork's and the battery's earthing straps as this could also cause this problem with the electronics :idea:

It could explain why my Epic has never missed a beat :idea: :?: As I have two batteries and twice the earthing :lol: :lol: :lol: being an automatic :D
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Phil_G » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Took the van to a local garage to see whats up, and they very promptly (and with a passable coffee from the machine!) diagnosedthat its the EGR valve that is causing the problems(according to the codes anyway! )

IT would seem that ford were probably lying or just couldnt be bothered to read the ecu properly and reset the codes without bothering to investigate the problem that I reported (beside the breakdown fault)

damned emissio-facist claptrap..

:evil:
Phil_G
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:10 pm

Is that all it was :!: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine went faulty soon after I bought it but never bothered to change it 'til now :!:
It was always just getting through the MOT until today :D He said that's cleaner than most petrol engines and is the cleanest diesel he's ever tested :!: 8) 8) 8)
But I've also noticed that it seems to be the smokiest it's ever been :shock: :? :? so I'm lost and confused about this whole emmissions test :? :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Phil_G » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:48 pm

Yes..

thats all it was. Still bloody dangerous doing its best buckaroo impression at 40mph...

Shame it took an independant local garage to show the MAIN DEALER (shame on them!) what was actually wrong with the stupid thing. they will definately be getting our fleet work from now on. I know its a simple task to read codes, but this this the THIRD garage who have seen the vehicle with this fault and the only one who bothered to identify the problem properly and offer a sensible remedy.

ITs incredably frustrating, as I find that these emissions reduction devices are just another thing to go wrong. No matter what manufacturer (ford, vahuxhall etc) they all seem to give all sorts of mither, and TBH its rediculous.

Please note: I am not saying all main dealers are crap - only the ones I have used !
Phil_G
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:53 pm

Phil i'd love to know the name of the dealer you've used, possible PM?

There is no way a dealer would incorrectly read off a code, sure, a poorly trained technician could mis interprit is's effect on the system but they should have been able to give you the code, Eg P0404 would be an EGR position sensor fault.

Sometimes, the presence of the MIL during the fault won't record a code, but the engine will enter a limited operation stratergy. They can be difficult problems to trace.

Water pumps have suffered failure, but they don't take out the pas pump.
The fault was down to water ingress into the cavity between the 2 pumps and the subsequent corrosion erroded the drive splines of both pumps

Sorry you feel the Transit brand has let you down, but please don't think it's a unique situation, they all use the same technology.
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Phil_G » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:25 am

Can cheerfully reply to report after a good cleaning it seems a LOT better (touch wood).

Still a bit wary of the damned thing tho! and i dont want a new EGR valve at over £130 quid :?

heres hoping thats the last of its bad behaviour and it once again serves with distinction :)

Cheers chaps

Phil
Phil_G
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits