*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

transit tipper pump wiring

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

transit tipper pump wiring

Postby micktem » Sat May 08, 2010 8:17 am

hello again,anyone out there to help me?i have just purchased a 2003 transit tipper but there is no wiring connected to pump its all just hanging there.any help would be welcome. mick
micktem
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: transit tipper pump wiring

Postby ake » Sat May 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Should just be a plug and socket arrangement
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby micktem » Sat May 08, 2010 10:31 pm

no just a load of bare ended wires lol
micktem
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun May 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Oh dear, best bet is probably to try and find a similar age and spec of van in a breakers and buy the pump loom
ake
Site Moderator

Postby MrMPuk » Sun May 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Assuming he's talking about the diesel pump and not the tipper hydraulics of course.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sun May 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Good point :?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby micktem » Mon May 10, 2010 6:19 am

its the tipper hyd pump,need to know what wire goes where
micktem
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Mon May 10, 2010 8:20 am

micktem wrote:its the tipper hyd pump,need to know what wire goes where

Depends on which company did the tipper conversion.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ginsambo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:12 pm

I know its an old post but just thought I'd write an essay....ummm....answer. :lol:

A tipper pump is much like a starter motor, so much as the live circuit to the pump, which draws a large current, is interrupted and controlled by a solenoid switch which itself is actuated by a much smaller current. So the pump activation solenoid (Usually mounted on the pump body) operates by bridging the large current to the pump when it is connected to a smaller live current.

The pump activation solenoid has four connections, two spade connections or small threaded connections for thin wires (Positive and negetive/earth to actuate the solenoid) and two large threaded connections - these are switched poles of the interrupted live feed line to the pump, which the solenoid then bridges when it is actuated by a small current.

It also has a simple direct release valve solenoid which is usually mounted transversely on the manifold between the pump and reservoir and this has two spade connections for thin wires (Positive and negetive/earth).

So basically, there are three circuits going on; a switched small current to actuate the release solenoid valve directly, a switched small current to actuate the pump activation solenoid, and a large current which is bridged by the pump activation solenoid.

Sorting out your live feed wires:
There are usually 3 thin wires (Green, Black and Red) and a thick permanent live feed cable in the main loom that runs from the tipper switch and positive battery terminal to the whole setup. Connect the thick cable to the positive terminal of the battery. Connect the red thin wire to the universal pole of the tipper switch. Connect the thin green wire to the down button pole of the switch and the black to the up button pole of the switch.

The thick permanent live feed cable is bolted to one of the large threaded mounts (Switched Pole) on the pump activation solenoid (This is the interrupted current feed to the pump). One of the thin wires (Red) is also bolted to the same threaded mount (This thin Red wire is used as a live feed, which runs via the tipper switch and allows a current to be drawn to whichever solenoid circuit is connected - See below). The other large threaded connection (Switched pole) from the pump solenoid should be hard wired to the pump live threaded mount, via a metal tab which is insulated from the pump casing via an insulating washer - do not attach any wiring to this thread mount, unless it is an earthed warning siren, flashing light etc. which is to be activated in parallel when the pump is working and the tipper ram rising.

Earthing the solenoids and the pump:
Both the release valve solenoid and the pump activation solenoid, together with the main body of the pump need to be earthed. It is assumed that the main body of the pump, together with all the metal it touches is earthed by simply bolting the setup to the tipper frame. So you can use the pump body to make the earth connections from the solenoids. Each solenoid should have two spade fit connections, one live, one earth. The earth connection (Yellow/green) from each of both solenoids are usually just short, independent wires that are mated together and attached to the pump body via one of the small screws that holds the pump activation solenoid bracket to the pump body.

Connecting the switched live feeds to each solenoid:
The remaining spade connection is the independent switched live for each solenoid. These are the remaining two thin wires on the main loom running from the cab tipper switch. The green usually goes to the spade connection on the release solenoid, the black to the spade connection on the pump activation solenoid.

At the cab end of the cable, when you switch the tipper, you are connecting the thin red wire with either the black (To operate the pump activation solenoid and pump) or connecting the thin red wire with the green (To operate the release solenoid).

If you are testing it off the Transit, run a jump cable from the earth connection on the pump solenoid.

This is the basis of it, if its a modern tipper unit, with digital displays and whatnot I wouldn't have a clue.
My Mk5 was biodegradable and disintegrated with time.
Ford. Committed to the Environment

Finally entered the 21st Century and bought a MK7. Oh Dear.
ginsambo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby KING OF ENGLAND » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 pm

new to this king of england here. sparky is the trade. tipper pump wiring same as tail lift one main red feed one black earth and a three core cable red=feed black=up green=down simple as that.
KING OF ENGLAND
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm

KING OF ENGLAND wrote:new to this king of england here. sparky is the trade. tipper pump wiring same as tail lift one main red feed one black earth and a three core cable red=feed black=up green=down simple as that.

That's only easy if the wires are present at the pump/ solenoid end
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ginsambo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:39 pm

By trying to make things seem simple, Sparkies always make things more confusing..... :lol: its in there nature! :lol:

Thank's King, that shortened and summarised it just a tad. I was trying to explain the fundamentals as said, if you're looking at bare solenoids and pump without a loom or any wires. Now I figured out how its wired, it seems blindingly simple. But thing is I'II probably have forgotten by next year and it will be a mystery again - hence the post. But as said if you don't even know what a solenoid is you're just guessing so every little helps. Logic just depends on how much breakfast you have eh! :lol:

Anyway its all good to have two different but the same descriptions...
My Mk5 was biodegradable and disintegrated with time.
Ford. Committed to the Environment

Finally entered the 21st Century and bought a MK7. Oh Dear.
ginsambo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ROBATOM » Sun May 28, 2017 2:47 am

I know it was a very long time ago, but I have just stumbled upon this brilliant description of wiring a pump, and If you get this message , I just want to say- SPOT ON AND PERFECT HELP :D :D
ROBATOM
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby KING OF ENGLAND » Sun May 28, 2017 9:46 pm

ROBATOM wrote:I know it was a very long time ago, but I have just stumbled upon this brilliant description of wiring a pump, and If you get this message , I just want to say- SPOT ON AND PERFECT HELP :D :D

We are always here to help if possible
KING OF ENGLAND
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits