*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Few questions!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Few questions!

Postby fastmower » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:10 pm

Hi all,

I have a 2001 twin rear wheel tipper that needs some new pads in the front brakes. I've never been able to find a workshop manual for the Mk6 - is there one out there - or do I need to get one of these TIS discs I've heard about on here? Do they cover all the mechanical side as well as "technical stuff"? So - never having even had the wheels off this truck - is fitting new pads straightforward? A garage put new wheel bearings in the front for its MOT and said it was a pig of a job :?

I had a crawl under it yesterday and noticed that the intercooler was totally clogged up with what looks like dried mud - just out of interest - how much difference does the intercooler make?

Lastly for now - can anyone recommend any good online suppliers for parts etc? I need a spare wheel for starters, and depending on what state the intercooler is in if I manage to get all the crap out of it - I might need one of them too!

Cheers

Andy
From four vans to two :-(

1997 Mk5 County Transit 4x4
2003 Mk6 ex RAC 330 SWB
fastmower
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 100 T280 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm

To your first question, a copy of the TIS will do. It is well worth having one in any case if only for the wiring diagrams! :D
'02 100 T280 SWB Exec. FWD Medium Roof 2.0 DuraTorq TDdi 100ps
College Blue, Alloys, Eberspächer, Twin Batteries, Single Seat,
"Park Distance Control", AirCon, Rev. Counter, 7000RDS.......
100 T280
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby motorwise » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:47 pm

have you fitted pads to the older type transit - more or less the same job

just jet wash the intercooler - cold charge = more cooler more dense air = power more power - so it's worth keeping it clean :D
Ford Transit - Backbone Of Britain
http://www.motorwise.net
if you want to get on in life, its not what you know, its not who you know, its what you know about who you know
motorwise
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby fastmower » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:24 pm

Cheers guys!

Got one of those TIS discs on the way off ebay now so that should be helpful!

My last van (a 1991 LWB SHR converted to a camper) had just had new pads in it when I got it from a friend of mine, so never had to change them as I don't do a lot of miles really - it's mainly used for taking the racing mower and caravan to race meetings around the country in the summer months, so it's not really like it's working for a living like a lot of them have to! But as long as the job doesn't need any "special tool no. 067735", I think I'll manage okay!

While I'm on - were/are the 16" wheels unusual on the tipper? I only ask as when I ordered some new tyres, the garage seemed reluctant to believe they were 16" at first?

Thanks again for your help!

Andy

2003 Mk6 ex RAC 330 SWB
fastmower
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MrMPuk » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:29 pm

16's are correct
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nighthawk » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:36 pm

Book time for replacing the pads is 0.6hours, so you'll gather from that it's a real easy job.

slacken the wheel nuts
raise and support the vehicle safely
remove the wheel
undo the lower caliper retaining bolt (12 or 13mm head depending on last time it was touched)

pull the caliper up from bottom to top, so it pivots around the top bolt

Remove the old pads (take note of how the pads are fitted)

clean the caliper bridge and disc surfaces

push the pistons back in to the caliper, taking care not to mess up the piston dust covers

Fit the new pads in the correct place as one has a metal strip on it

rotate the caliper back down and fit a new bolt (supplied with ford branded pads)

Refit the wheel and nip up the nuts

lower the vehicle and torque the nuts upto 200Nm (approx 148lbft)

press the foot brake slowly by hand to expand the pistons and pump up the pedal

Have a brew

do the other side :)

Hope that helps, but please please don't attempt to carry out a brake repair if you have no idea of what i'm talking about, :)
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fastmower » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:01 pm

Bugger - and I've just gone and spent over 3 English pounds on one of these discs when I could have just waited for Nighthawk to call by! Cheers for that mate - sounds like a doddle. In fact I would say that changing the disc pads on my mower is probably a bigger job - it's a real fiddly caliper set up!

Is there a minimum thickness on the discs themselves that I should check while I'm at it?

Thanks again to everyone - I like the way this forum works!

2003 Mk6 ex RAC 330 SWB
fastmower
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nighthawk » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:37 pm

From the top of my stella filled head, i seem to recall the minimum thickness being 22.1mm

Anyone with one of those pirate TIS discs want to check that :lol:

It takes me longer to change the brake pads on my mountain bike than it does to do a Transit.
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fastmower » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:25 pm

Fitted the new pads today - and as Nighthawk said - it was a doddle. :D Definitely easier than the same job on the mower - and that's only got one caliper!

Also did the oil filter without cracking the plastic retaining cover - I was quite surprised at how small the filter element itself is.

I WAS going to do the fuel filter as well - but the nice man at Partco - where I get a "managers price" special rate - said that his computer had two sizes listed for a 51 plate 2.4. One was 170 (ish) mm and the other was around 190 as far as I can remember. Am I going to have to remove the filter body to measure this - and/or are they interchangeable? Can't remember whether the measurement was length or diameter to be honest.

Bet Nighthawk knows.......... :wink:

2003 Mk6 ex RAC 330 SWB
fastmower
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MrMPuk » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Most partcos will give you both and you return the one that you don't use!
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nighthawk » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:15 pm

Glad you found the instructions a help :D

Even the genuine ford filter is available in 2 lengths, in practice, it doesn't matter which one goes on.

But, the TDCi engine should only ever be fitted with the correct filter as the TDCi system requires even tighter filtration!
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

ooo errrrr

Postby thunderider » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:49 pm

fuel filterchange scares me! last time it was messed with the head cracked and cost me £110 so im a bit warey of messing with it.
I am the god of hell fire.....
thunderider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: ooo errrrr

Postby Nighthawk » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:39 pm

thunderider wrote:fuel filterchange scares me! last time it was messed with the head cracked and cost me £110 so im a bit warey of messing with it.

On a Transit 2000 :eek:

The old 86-------1996 Transits would suffer that fate if the thumb screw was over tightened, but the 2000-> vehicle just had a twist on ring the same as the 97-->
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: ooo errrrr

Postby motorwise » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:08 am

thunderider wrote:fuel filterchange scares me! last time it was messed with the head cracked and cost me £110 so im a bit warey of messing with it.

here's one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRANSIT-MK6-DESIE ... dZViewItem
Ford Transit - Backbone Of Britain
http://www.motorwise.net
if you want to get on in life, its not what you know, its not who you know, its what you know about who you know
motorwise
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits