*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Installing an extra fuse box..

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Installing an extra fuse box..

Postby chrisrogers » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi Guys,

Starting to play with my MK7 200ps a bit more, there's a few things that are going to get installed in it such as a handiwash, heater, lights ect. I feel it'll be easier to install an extra fuse box in the rear.

Question is where to take power from? I saw in the owners manual the fusebox under the drivers seat has spare slots. Are these the best things to use?

Chris
chrisrogers

Re: Installing an extra fuse box..

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

chrisrogers wrote:Hi Guys,

Starting to play with my MK7 200ps a bit more, there's a few things that are going to get installed in it such as a handiwash, heater, lights ect. I feel it'll be easier to install an extra fuse box in the rear.

Question is where to take power from? I saw in the owners manual the fusebox under the drivers seat has spare slots. Are these the best things to use?

Chris

On the FWD vans there's a power take off under the drivers seat with (IIRC) 3 x 60amp fused outputs. Maybe the 200ps has something similar?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby APH » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Think all the Mk7's provide you power take off points under the drivers seat, as it's the only place "accessories" can be connected that dosen't upset the PCM / CanBus controller.

Taken direct from the M7 BEMM, fuses shown in this pic feed connection points behind seat (with red covers on):

03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:38 pm

They are a bit of a nightmare to get to, but it can be done with out removing seats or bulkhead
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby yellowcamper » Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am

I know this is an old thread, but found this when I was trying to find a power supply for a towbar relay unit and connection for a second battery for a camper conversion.

I saw the warnings on the battery cover about never connecting direct to the battery and the refer to owners manual. They do seem a PITA to get to, but the diagram in the owners manual is obviously from a LHD vehicle where it would be a doddle.

I haven't got the cover off yet to get a meter to it but have a couple of questions.

1) Does anyone know if these are permanently live or only live when ignition on or engine running. Either is fine for the ZR2300 unit I have from PF Jones. The main thing is that they are not live when the vehicle is switched off/shut down. (A lot of it seems to stay live for a while after it is switched off).

2) If they do shut down is it possible to link a supplementary battery to them via Voltage sensing relay so that the supplementary battery is charged, but will not drain the main battery when not running.

Thanks.

Sean.
yellowcamper
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby motorman116 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:17 pm

yellowcamper wrote:I know this is an old thread, but found this when I was trying to find a power supply for a towbar relay unit and connection for a second battery for a camper conversion.

I saw the warnings on the battery cover about never connecting direct to the battery and the refer to owners manual. They do seem a PITA to get to, but the diagram in the owners manual is obviously from a LHD vehicle where it would be a doddle.

I haven't got the cover off yet to get a meter to it but have a couple of questions.

1) Does anyone know if these are permanently live or only live when ignition on or engine running. Either is fine for the ZR2300 unit I have from PF Jones. The main thing is that they are not live when the vehicle is switched off/shut down. (A lot of it seems to stay live for a while after it is switched off).

2) If they do shut down is it possible to link a supplementary battery to them via Voltage sensing relay so that the supplementary battery is charged, but will not drain the main battery when not running.

Thanks.

Sean.

They are permanently live...
Some Transits have a connector (2pin block connector) behind the O/S/R Light unit taped to the loom that can be used for the tow bar bypass relay.
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Punto443 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 pm

Could alway fit the SVO fuse box for more options?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby yellowcamper » Sat May 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks guys.

I will have another look tomorrow, I did see a plug in the rear light cavity, but discounted it as it was only 2 pin.

Twice previously (Vauxhall Senator and Land Rover Discovery) I found a small 7 pin plug so was keeping an eye out for one of them.

I had another look at the Haynes Manual and it appears there is a dedicated fuse in the engine bay for a trailer connection, but I was hoping to avoid removing trim to thread a wire all the way through the vehicle. If the two pin connector is there and ignition controlled that will be brilliant.

I did some more reading and an American site seemed to say you have 3 60A connectors if a twin battery and one if a single. I have three so as I only have one battery I think it is safe to assume it has had two at some point and when all the AA wiring was removed a battery was removed too. At least I can put another one under the seat for all the camper stuff, LED Lights, 12V/USB in the rear, Water Pump. As far as I can see as long as it has a fuse I can connect the positive of the camper battery to the 60A points through a Voltage Sensitive Relay. It only cuts in at 13.3 V and cuts out at 12.65V so the two batteries will be separate if the engine is not running.

Looking at the wiring diagram, the standard factory two battery set up seems to be similar in that it shows a relay that seems to protect the start battery from drainage by accessories, but not knowing what is or isn't there In my vehicle to begin with that seems to be the easiest approach.

I will post up on the Yellow Camper thread when I get it up and running.

Thanks again.

Sean.
yellowcamper
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits