Transitmania 6 @ Billing Aquadrome Aug 22nd to 24th 2014


Clicking Starter Motor

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Clicking Starter Motor

Postby Jetson2 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi Folk’s , :( I am having problem with my 52 plate transit van [2002]the starter motor clicking ,the starter motor is brand new, after having the same problem with my old starter, I also had new clutch and flywheel fitted 2 year ago, took starter off van and it is clean ,put a new one on , but the fault is the same, turn the key and you just get the clicking, replaced earth straps to and from starter, the battery and alternator are new, fault still the same, if you connect it to a booster, it starts fine no clicking, but without the booster, it is back to clicking, when starter motor is clicking the central locking keeps opening and locking ,any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jetson2
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby nokites » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:24 pm

You don't say what condition of charge your battery is, have you checked its voltage should be 12.2 12.4 volts if in good state of charge
OLD CHINESE PROVERB

Man who works for nothing and women who f****s for nothing ---------ALLWAYS GOT PLENTY TO DO
User avatar
nokites
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby workhorse » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Sounds like batterys either not fully charged or faulty/ droped a cell :?: happend on mine in last month even though my rac charger said it was fully charged turned out it was knackerd & same symptoms as above.
workhorse
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:51 am
Location: sheffield

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby jimmer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi, had similar problem with mine, turned out to be fused earth strap from battery to body.
2001 Mk6 120ps RWD Hightop converted to camper
2004 Mk6 115ps RWD Hightop
jimmer
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby v8rick » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Jetson2 wrote:Hi Folk’s , :( I am having problem with my 52 plate transit van [2002]the starter motor clicking ,the starter motor is brand new, after having the same problem with my old starter, I also had new clutch and flywheel fitted 2 year ago, took starter off van and it is clean ,put a new one on , but the fault is the same, turn the key and you just get the clicking, replaced earth straps to and from starter, the battery and alternator are new, fault still the same, if you connect it to a booster, it starts fine no clicking, but without the booster, it is back to clicking, when starter motor is clicking the central locking keeps opening and locking ,any help would be greatly appreciated.


that ruins all the above sugestions... ;)
v8rick
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby workhorse » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:42 pm

v8rick wrote:
Jetson2 wrote:Hi Folk’s , :( I am having problem with my 52 plate transit van [2002]the starter motor clicking ,the starter motor is brand new, after having the same problem with my old starter, I also had new clutch and flywheel fitted 2 year ago, took starter off van and it is clean ,put a new one on , but the fault is the same, turn the key and you just get the clicking, replaced earth straps to and from starter, the battery and alternator are new, fault still the same, if you connect it to a booster, it starts fine no clicking, but without the booster, it is back to clicking, when starter motor is clicking the central locking keeps opening and locking ,any help would be greatly appreciated.


that ruins all the above sugestions... ;)


Maybe but new battery doesn`t mean charged battery :wink: and with it starting from the booster cables it`s something I`d check :?:
workhorse
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:51 am
Location: sheffield

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby Jetson2 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion folk's :) , altough I said it is a new battery, it is about three month's old, and it has been fully tested, this clicking only started this week, so I can't see it being part of the problem, we have also replaced the battery earth strap.
Jetson2
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby solarman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Jetson2 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion folk's :) , altough I said it is a new battery, it is about three month's old, and this clicking only started this week, so I can't see it being part of the problem, we have also replaced the battery earth strap.

Always check your Batteries,i just bought a new one when i measured it for a charged battery it showed 12.5 so i had to give it a refresher charge before putting it on next morning,this cold weather will take it out of any good battery,
Solarman.
User avatar
solarman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:50 am

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby workhorse » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Jetson2 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion folk's :) , altough I said it is a new battery, it is about three month's old, and it has been fully tested, this clicking only started this week, so I can't see it being part of the problem, we have also replaced the battery earth strap.


When did you get the battery tested? because this week has been a very cold week for killing batterys and if it`s starting ok with a booster battery, I`d try to get hold of what you know for definate is a good battery around same output and put it on the van to double check?
workhorse
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:51 am
Location: sheffield

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby solarman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:29 pm

All About Batteries.....http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75179 have a read thbrough this
it might help.....Solarman. :D
User avatar
solarman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:50 am

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby Jetson2 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:03 pm

workhorse wrote:
Jetson2 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion folk's :) , altough I said it is a new battery, it is about three month's old, and it has been fully tested, this clicking only started this week, so I can't see it being part of the problem, we have also replaced the battery earth strap.


When did you get the battery tested? because this week has been a very cold week for killing batterys and if it`s starting ok with a booster battery, I`d try to get hold of what you know for definate is a good battery around same output and put it on the van to double check?


:) Thanks for the advise, It was checked yesterday, my Mechanic is adament the battery is fine, he did try a differant one, one he new was fully charged, whilst he put a full charge into my battery.
Jetson2
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby mark b1977 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi there did you find the problem as my van is doing the same thing.

cheers mark
mark b1977
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby Jetson2 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:50 pm

mark b1977 wrote:Hi there did you find the problem as my van is doing the same thing.

cheers mark


Hi Mark, It turned out to be what most people said it was, I had a new battery fitted back in Febuary, because it was sluggish when starting, it turned out that they had fitted one for a petrol engine, they changed it for the right type, and problem solved :D hope this is of some help.
Jetson2
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby mark b1977 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:57 pm

Jetson2 wrote:
mark b1977 wrote:Hi there did you find the problem as my van is doing the same thing.

cheers mark


Hi Mark, It turned out to be what most people said it was, I had a new battery fitted back in Febuary, because it was sluggish when starting, it turned out that they had fitted one for a petrol engine, they changed it for the right type, and problem solved :D hope this is of some help.


thanks for your reply i will try that next then.

cheers mark
mark b1977
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Clicking Starter Motor

Postby Jetson2 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Many thanks for all your help and advise folk's, most of you were correct, it was the battery after all, it turned out the new one they fitted in Febuary was the wrong type, so they changed it for the right one, and problem solved :D once again, thanks in particular to Nokites. Cheers. :D
Jetson2
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm


Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ibanez2005, Majestic-12 [Bot], mattei, philytl, transit_tractor