*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Frozen engine

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Frozen engine

Postby ChuckH » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:20 pm

knighty1981 wrote:first thing to do is take the bottom pipe off the radiator

that way, if it starts to defrost it can leak out, instead of just re-freezing the next night !

if you get it to start with the water pump belt off (still with bottom pipe of the radiator) run it for 1min and then shut it off, give it a couple of min and then do the same again.... keep doing that to warm it up and defrost it ;)

Thats the last thing You should do !!! how hot do you think the cylinder piston departments get when an engine is running HEAT V COLD !! Nasty.... As above gentle outside warmth is the way to go so as not to do any further damage !! It amazes Me how people can offer such ridiculous advice without a thought for the damage Thier advice might cause !!!!!
ChuckH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knighty1981 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:24 pm

ChuckH wrote:Thats the last thing You should do !!! how hot do you think the cylinder piston departments get when an engine is running HEAT V COLD !! Nasty.... As above gentle outside warmth is the way to go so as not to do any further damage !! It amazes Me how people can offer such ridiculous advice without a thought for the damage Thier advice might cause !!!!!

I've done it a few times for other people and once for myself... and I know a bunch of other people who have done the same....

you're talking about problems warming the engine up when it's so cold..... but it's no colder than it would be if there was antifreeze in there... only difference is there's no water circulation.... (but there is naff all when the engine is that cold anyway)

that's why I said run it for 1 min then give it a rest for couple of min....

the 1 min of running warms it up a bit, then the couple of min of rest gives the heat a chance to spread out

I'm sure plenty of people here have run an engine with no water in for 60sec when they're setting up timing etc. ?

what does "is running HEAT V COLD !! Nasty...." mean ? frozen water or no frozen water, the engine will be the same temperature

and as for "It amazes Me how people can offer such ridiculous advice without a thought for the damage Thier advice might cause !!!!!" - you should take your own advice and check your sources before you go slagging off other peoples advice ? do a google, you'll find hundreds of people who do exactly what I suggested.... (without problems) it was even recommended by a bunch of people on this very forum last year when it was cold ;)
knighty1981
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ChuckH » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm

knighty1981 wrote:
ChuckH wrote:Thats the last thing You should do !!! how hot do you think the cylinder piston departments get when an engine is running HEAT V COLD !! Nasty.... As above gentle outside warmth is the way to go so as not to do any further damage !! It amazes Me how people can offer such ridiculous advice without a thought for the damage Thier advice might cause !!!!!

I've done it a few times for other people and once for myself... and I know a bunch of other people who have done the same....

you're talking about problems warming the engine up when it's so cold..... but it's no colder than it would be if there was antifreeze in there... only difference is there's no water circulation.... (but there is naff all when the engine is that cold anyway)

that's why I said run it for 1 min then give it a rest for couple of min....

the 1 min of running warms it up a bit, then the couple of min of rest gives the heat a chance to spread out

I'm sure plenty of people here have run an engine with no water in for 60sec when they're setting up timing etc. ?

what does "is running HEAT V COLD !! Nasty...." mean ? frozen water or no frozen water, the engine will be the same temperature

and as for "It amazes Me how people can offer such ridiculous advice without a thought for the damage Thier advice might cause !!!!!" - you should take your own advice and check your sources before you go slagging off other peoples advice ? do a google, you'll find hundreds of people who do exactly what I suggested.... (without problems) it was even recommended by a bunch of people on this very forum last year when it was cold ;)

So in Your opinion an engine that is frozen solid is the same temperature as an engine that is not ?? School ? Go did We ???
If an engine is frozen solid it should not be started until its been derfrosted And defrosted slowly.
It matters not how many times Youve done it or potetialy f*** up somenes engine The fact remains starting a FROZEN engine is just stupid and can potentialy cause a lot of damage !!
No Mechanic would ever advise starting a frozen engine Your advice is completely stupid at best and dangerous at worse !!!
ChuckH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knighty1981 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 pm

ChuckH wrote:So in Your opinion an engine that is frozen solid is the same temperature as an engine that is not ?? School ? Go did We ???

of course the engine is the same temperature....

the antifreeze doesn't change the temperature of the water at all, just stops it freezing

if it's -10 outside, it doesn't matter if you have antifreeze in or not, the engine will still be -10

I don't know if you're being serious or you're just trying to be funny / wind me up.... so I'll leave it at that ;)
knighty1981
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ChuckH » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:54 pm

PORK..................
ChuckH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mattcat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks guys, I think the temperature is to rise in the next couple of days, so I think I'll leave to fully thaw and give it a go. Fingers crossed
Cheers
mattcat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby looneyfitter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Have a look atthis mate. Ive got the same prob along with a few more on here. NOT GOOD tbh

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77993 :(
I WILL GET THIS FEcKER RUNNING!!!
looneyfitter
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits