*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

HORN problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

HORN problem

Postby paul. » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:10 am

My horn is not working(on my transit :lol: ) I have ford TIS and ran throught the wiring diagrams and checked voltage and ohms on the relay, and they were grand but When i disconnected battery and took apart steering wheel i couldnt find the switch poke. . The airbag is in the way I think. Also Ive checked fuses etc, so is there a common fault on these or whats the procedure to a fix cheers 90 350d lwb 2.4t
Mk7 2008 350LWB 2.4 100PS
paul.
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: HORN problem

Postby paul. » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Bump :mrgreen:
paul.
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby friertuck » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Have you checked the horn itself as they usually fail being out in the weather, the other thing i think the connection from the steering wheel is a `Clockspring` mechanism under airbag,
Chips chips and more chips
friertuck
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby eddie7 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 pm

the sealed connections in the clock spring failed on mine and the horn stopped working.
2005 Transit 2.0 TDCI 125ps
eddie7
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul. » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:04 pm

cheers, can I get a reading of the horn unit under the bonnet(il try in the morning)..... Also I unsrewed the two bolts at the side of the wheel and unclipped the two small wires and big yellow airbag wire. What do i need to look at now and where do I put the multimeter..Do I have to further disassemble the part I have just removed or will that result in airbag deployment etc cheers
paul.
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cat86 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Clock spring failed on my transit - local garage fixed it for pretty cheap though - so now anyone who gets in the way gets the full force of my wworking horn!
For a range of van mats visit mycarmats.co.uk
cat86

Postby APH » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:58 pm

That bit you unplugged (the two small wires) go to the horn switch, which is part of the airbag unit, but before you go poking around anymore here, and get a smack on the nose in the process :lol: :cry: from the airbag, i'd re connect everything, then unplug the horn connector from the horn, connect your voltmeter across the plug and get someone to push the horn button, if you get 12 Volts here, then the horn is Knackered :wink: , if you do get a voltage, then you could try tweaking the little adjusting screw on the horn, and or clout it with a hammer handle a few times while someone repeatedly presses the horn button to try an free it off, if all that fails....bin it and fit a new horn.

If you don't get a voltage, and the horn relay dosent click, then as others have said, the clockspring is probably faulty, thats the bit that the big yellow wire and the two small wires are joined to that you left attached to the steering wheel / column after you removed the airbag / switch assembly.

Hope all that makes sense :?

Regards,
Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby paul. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:49 am

cheers mate. Ye it make sense and the main problem is having to sustain the airbag :!: to my face :? if I was to test the wrong wire :oops:. Il put it back together in the morning and test the horn. Just to clarify that the clockspring is not in the horn/airbag assembly unit. Those wires to my recollection were running into what looked like a large fuse/scartlead type thingy :? so if its that i take it Iv to run down the motor factors, get new clockspring and the rest should explain itself. I dont really fancy an airbag sambo :cry: :lol:
paul.
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby paul. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Fixed :mrgreen: It was the horn unit under the bonnet. I disconneted it and checked the wire with a miltimeter. I got a decent reading I now no that everything inside the steering wheel is fine and its the horn itself. My car audi a4 has two horns as standard so I removed one and fitted it on the van. I had to break the plastic and file down the two pins but after a lot of insulation tape and a coat of silicone its working perfect. As for the faulty horn i grinded it open and there was a mixture of sand stone and water in there that no doubt caused the problem.

Anyway Thanks for all your imput lads especially APH, another problem solved + I learned that if something electrical is not working then you should really test to see is the part receiving power..... If so then its the part. Sounds easy enough but it will save me time and stress in the future. Cheers lads :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
paul.
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Lexy Thompson » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Is there a relay in the circuit?

Have you tried a direct wire from the battery?
Lexy Thompson

Postby ake » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:55 pm

Lexy Thompson wrote:Is there a relay in the circuit?

Read all the posts before commenting.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:01 pm

ake wrote:
Lexy Thompson wrote:Is there a relay in the circuit?

Read all the posts before commenting.

7 year itch :roll:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Simes_8 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Whilst this thread has been rejuvenated, I'll ask about my horn problem.

It works ok, but only if you press quite hard in the centre, and not if you press at the edges so you need to take a hand off the wheel to use it.

It feels like there maybe dirty contacts that need cleaning, is there a way to dismantle the airbag/horn push assembly to clean it?

Thanks, Simon.
Simes_8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Simes_8 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am

Simes_8 wrote:Whilst this thread has been rejuvenated, I'll ask about my horn problem.

It works ok, but only if you press quite hard in the centre, and not if you press at the edges so you need to take a hand off the wheel to use it.

It feels like there maybe dirty contacts that need cleaning, is there a way to dismantle the airbag/horn push assembly to clean it?

Thanks, Simon.

??
Simes_8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Simes_8 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Has anyone got an idea about getting my horn to be more responsive ?
Simes_8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits