*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gear selector problems

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Gear selector problems

Postby retaylor » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:34 am

The story...
Today My 51plate FWD set off as normal (not from cold), 1st, 2nd, then I couldn't get 3rd so I rolled down the hill for a while trying for 4th.
Finally found 4th and was able to use 3rd and 4th, I pulled over for a phonecall and it got stuck in 5th (couldn't get reverse at this stage though).
Found my way back into 3rd and settled for 3rd and 4th as they'd get me home.

Basically it's stuck in 3rd and 4th, the clutch seems fine (for now), I was warned about a slightly dodgy syncro some time ago but I don't think that's the problem as each gear works if I can find it. I also heard somewhere, it could be ingress of moisture in the selector turret. I'm just hoping it's nothing more serious.

I have more time than money at the moment so I'm going to have a go at sorting it tommorow, unless someone against this and parts are affordable.

Some things i've heard I should try are..
-making sure the water pump isn't frozen and there is coolant. (not sure I understand why but it's worth doing anyway)
-checking the cables are moving/working (what cables do what?)
-checking the cables are properly crimped at the end
-disassembling the gear selector turret and making sure everything is in order, grease, then sealing it? ...

Would anyone be able to improve on this rough checklist or offer a brief step by step of what I should be checking and in what order? It's cold so i'd rather not waste my time checking the wrong things. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, Rob
retaylor
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Gear selector problems

Postby Altransit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:15 am

Not sure about the water pump thing ................. :shock: :?

........... but the rest of the check list looks good 8) :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby retaylor » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:50 am

Not sure about the water pump thing .................

It was brought up for some reason on another thread a couple of days ago, suppose it won't hurt to check.
retaylor
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby retaylor » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:58 am

Great, just found this article on another part of the site, reposting so the images show up.
I assume this is for a MK6... any helpful comments still appreciated. Rob

Ford Transit Forum - A forum for all things Ford Transit related
Tags: Ford TransitFWDGear SelectorGearboxMk6Stuck in 3rd and 4th

The tools you will need are 1/4 drive ratchet with various wobble extensions & 10mm end. You will also need some gasket seal, oil, grease, loctite and an M10 Bolt.

Ensure that Neutral is Engaged
Remove the gear cables from the top of the selector. Do this by pressing the plastic bits at either side and pulling the cables off.

Undo the reverse switch and the breather tube.

Undo the 6 x 10mm bolts (patterned as shown below)

Gently lift the selector out.

Lubricate with plenty of oil and spend some time working them back and forth to ensure free movement.
Put a good amount of grease on top of the rubber bush to prevent water ingress which is what causes the problem in the first case.

While the selector is out it’s good practice to loctite the pinch bolt if it hasn’t been done before, because if this comes loose and falls into the gearbox you could be in serious bother.
Loosen the pinch bolt (10mm) and apply a good amount of loctite before tightening back up.

Before installing the selector back in, clean any old sealer off of the selector and the gearbox housing.

Apply new sealer to the bottom of the selector before carefully (ensuring it’s in Neutral) placing it back into the gearbox.
One by one, tighten the 10mm bolts back up finger tight before tightening them right up ensuring you count all 6 off.

Plug up the reverse switch and breather pipe. (Image for clarity)

Clip the gear cables back on by giving a good firm push. An audible click should be heard.

Go for a test run !

Other Images of Gear Selector Mechinism

Image Image

Article Provided by Dan T (AM Motors, East Kilbride)
retaylor
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Acacia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 am

Hi. Did this solve your problem?
Acacia
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby the dutch guy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 am

After 7 years i doubt the van still runs