Transitmania 6 @ Billing Aquadrome Aug 22nd to 24th 2014


oil and filter change

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

oil and filter change

Postby greynwhitedog » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:46 pm

hi i,m a carpenter not very up on engines need to change the oil and filter on my 07 transit wheres the drain plug and wheres the filter also how often should i do this
greynwhitedog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: oil and filter change

Postby winterheating » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:48 pm

you could be good to your engine and do it every 5,6k or 6 monthly if sooner.
User avatar
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 10676
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Co.Durham Darlington

Re: oil and filter change

Postby El transito » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 pm

greynwhitedog wrote:hi i,m a carpenter not very up on engines need to change the oil and filter on my 07 transit wheres the drain plug and wheres the filter also how often should i do this


Assuming it's a diesel? you will need a 13mm ring spanner or socket and a 32mm socket, sump plug is 13 oil filter is 32. If its front wheel drive the filter is grill side of the sump, if its rear-wheel drive its between the sump and nearside engine mounting (Engine is just rotated 90' anti-clock) it's a "cartridge" type filter that fits inside the 32mm plastic cover that you will be removing.
A few tips, use the new "o" ring in the box, and do not over tighten the oil filter when replacing the plastic cover.
The "o" on the sump plug can stick to the sump, make sure you remove it from the sump and put it back on the sump plug before replacing it, you will "cross-thread" the plug if you don't.
The ford recomendation is 12500 miles or anually, whichever is earlier
El transito
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Manilva Spain

Re: oil and filter change

Postby winterheating » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 am

I think its a 36mm socket thats needed.
User avatar
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 10676
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Co.Durham Darlington

Re: oil and filter change

Postby ake » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:39 am

Ford reccomendation is actually 15000 or 12 months, but really 10000 is more than enough
2012 Ford Transit 125ps 260 Trend
2008 Ford Transit 130ps 350 Chausson Flash 03


Retrofit cruise control, dash upgrades , egr deletes and remaps from
Image
User avatar
ake
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 32994
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:19 pm
Location: The fair city o' Perth

Re: oil and filter change

Postby greynwhitedog » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks guys I ll give it a go
greynwhitedog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: oil and filter change

Postby ChuckH » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Asda have 5W30 Fully Synthetic Castrol GTX Magnatec oil Reccomended by Ford (It has the ford logo on the container !) at most stores 4 litres for £10 !! The actual changing of the filter and oil is an absolute doddle on the Transit... I bought 10 x 4 litres of the above oil as I have 3 Fords that use it and at a tenner a throw I will change My oil at 7 or 8 thousand miles.. I think 12.000 miles is just to long between changes.
ChuckH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: oil and filter change

Postby winterheating » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Thats cheap enough, worth getting a few more wouldn't it :?:
User avatar
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 10676
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Co.Durham Darlington

Re: oil and filter change

Postby taz666 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:31 pm

if its a mk7 the oil filter housing nut is 27mm
taz666
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: in a wibbly wobbly world of my own

Re: oil and filter change

Postby CROSSFIREROB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 pm

What ever Ford recomends is fine , but personaly i will be changing my oil every 5000 miles, as far as im concerned the engine oil is the life blood of the motor , if you fail to do anything dont fail to change your oil and filter,oil takes a severe hammering for thousands of miles , the oil particals are round when new , but become flattened as time goes by due to the extreem heat and pressure and hammering it gets ,and so the protection offered suffers , considering everything moving part lubricated and COOLED by the oil you would be crazy not to change it regularly ,if your a courier you will clock up miles fast , and will not want to change oil to often so go for a 8000 mile change , if your just plodding about local etc , go for a 5000 change , these are only my personal views, if you like Fords idea, let the van run 15000 MILES , the choice is yours, if you look aftre your motor it will look after you , my past trucks might have rusted and fallen to bits but the motors never failed , never yet anyway. :D .
Rockin and a rollin all day long !
CROSSFIREROB
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Southern counties

Re: oil and filter change

Postby winterheating » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:40 pm

CROSSFIREROB wrote:What ever Ford recomends is fine , but personaly i will be changing my oil every 5000 miles, as far as im concerned the engine oil is the life blood of the motor , if you fail to do anything dont fail to change your oil and filter,oil takes a severe hammering for thousands of miles , the oil particals are round when new , but become flattened as time goes by due to the extreem heat and pressure and hammering it gets ,and so the protection offered suffers , considering everything moving part lubricated and COOLED by the oil you would be crazy not to change it regularly ,if your a courier you will clock up miles fast , and will not want to change oil to often so go for a 8000 mile change , if your just plodding about local etc , go for a 5000 change , these are only my personal views, if you like Fords idea, let the van run 15000 MILES , the choice is yours, if you look aftre your motor it will look after you , my past trucks might have rusted and fallen to bits but the motors never failed , never yet anyway. :D .


Same here :wink:

Allthough dont forget its yearly or whichever is sooner, but yes some people may stick to 15,000 miles even if it takes a couple of years.
User avatar
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 10676
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Co.Durham Darlington

Re: oil and filter change

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 pm

El transito wrote:
greynwhitedog wrote:hi i,m a carpenter not very up on engines need to change the oil and filter on my 07 transit wheres the drain plug and wheres the filter also how often should i do this


Assuming it's a diesel? you will need a 13mm ring spanner or socket and a 32mm socket, sump plug is 13 oil filter is 32. If its front wheel drive the filter is grill side of the sump, if its rear-wheel drive its between the sump and nearside engine mounting (Engine is just rotated 90' anti-clock) it's a "cartridge" type filter that fits inside the 32mm plastic cover that you will be removing.
A few tips, use the new "o" ring in the box, and do not over tighten the oil filter when replacing the plastic cover.
The "o" on the sump plug can stick to the sump, make sure you remove it from the sump and put it back on the sump plug before replacing it, you will "cross-thread" the plug if you don't.
The ford recomendation is 12500 miles or anually, whichever is earlier


2.0 and 2.4 is 36mm for filter.
and both use the same filter. :wink:
glx spec with toys,wallnutt dash,full air-con (ect), superchiped,de-cat,s/s-ex, cctv, 2-way, twin batt, member of eberspacher crew LOL (7 day night heater,) up rated sounds, full marker lights, air-horns, full chrome toy set. (AND TOO MANY LIGHTS) LOL
User avatar
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 4463
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: lincolnshire

Re: oil and filter change

Postby taz666 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:17 pm

2000-2006 transit 2.0 and 2.4-----36mm
2006>>>> transit 2.2, 2.4 and 3.2-----27mm with 2 holding tags
taz666
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: in a wibbly wobbly world of my own

Re: oil and filter change

Postby taz666 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:19 pm

ford spec change is 15000 miles but as of sept 10 changed to 20000 miles on engines without dpf filter or annually
taz666
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: in a wibbly wobbly world of my own


Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gingertoy, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]