*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

heater matrix change

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

heater matrix change

Postby andyxr4x4 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:46 am

hi all
one of my little problems is the heater matrix seems to be leaking (i think this is why it steams up inside) and the foot vents seem a little damp at the bottom and there is some crust in there?
so i have brought a replacement matrix and thermostat (might as well change and flush rad while im at it)
my question is how hard is it to do ? i have read by searching that 1 person has done it by removing through the drivers foot well and another through the clock area?

also i have read that a lot of posts say you must use red coolant so does this apply to a 2.3 petrol or can i use a standard coolant
?
i also read about the clips that go onto the matrix pipes have a special clip on them and just to rip them off with some snippers so can i replace these for standard jubilee clips?
sorry about the q's but as i work away all week i dont have a lot of time at home to do it!!

thanks in advance

andy
2004 Transit t280 swb
1994 mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 Tdi
2000 Volvo C70 T5
1994 Land Rover Defender 110 sw 200tdi ready to clean lol
andyxr4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: heater matrix change

Postby ake » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:11 pm

If yours has red coolant in it then it is best to replace it like for like as per Ford spec
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby andyxr4x4 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:41 pm

hi thanks for info but it currently has blue in it but was not sure if mine should have the red stuff as its petrol?
cheers
andy
2004 Transit t280 swb
2000 Volvo C70 T5
andyxr4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andyxr4x4 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:29 pm

right i did this on sunday morning so a rough guide if anyone has to do it

1st , i removed the pipe from on top of the water pump (out pipe from matrix) collect the coolant unless you want wet feet :lol:

2nd,you need to remove the cover on the blower box with 3 pozi screws in it just above and left of the clutch pedal you will see 2 pipes and a rubber hose that go through a rubber square and then through the bulkhead

3rd,i cut the pipes from the matrix here,then you can pull the matrix out towards you (this way its easy to unclip the hoses)

4th,you can now pull the heater hoses out from under the bonnet and release the quick release clips from the matrix pipes easily with a small screwdriver(just push the 2 white tabs under the black pipe end)

5th , you need to unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the blower + box in place (there is 2 10mm bolts either side near the top and about 4 inches below)this gives enough room to move the box about , you may want to remove the radio if you still have the double din ford radio as the box needs to go up a bit

6th, i got a tyre lever(you could use a bit of timber) underneath the blower box against the floor and levered the blower box towards the passenger seat(up and backwards) then you can slide the new matrix back in you will prob need to depress the clutch to clear the pipes the last inch or so into the blower box as it is a bit of a pain (this bit needs a bit of pushing and pulling and i removed the 2 poxi screws that held the cup holder in place then bent the plate behind it out a bit then back in afterwards )

7th , replace the 4 bolts on the blower box and the 2 hoses push back on under the bonnet ,i cut the rubber square against the bulkhead and slid it through the pipes from the matrix through the bulkhead (as there is a breather pipe runs through the rubber square dont forget),replace the plastic cover ensuring the pipes dont touch the sides,replace the hose back onto the top of the water pump and top up with water/coolant (i also replaced the thermostat (6 quid from ebay ) and flushed the rad while i was at it and then its all done

took me about 3-4 hours but was well worth it and no more coolant smell and steamy windows
worth a little drive and top up with water/coolant after (remember what colour mix you coolant is)

seemed a little daunting to start with but with patience it can be done even by an amateur like me!

if anyone is stuck you can pm me

cheers
andy
2004 Transit t280 swb
2000 Volvo C70 T5
andyxr4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby KH_Towbars » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks for the guide mate I will be attempting mine tomorrow (weather permitting) not looking forward to it tho :?
2016 CUSTOM LIMITED LWB Shadow Black
2010 VW CADDY MAXI 1.6TDi
SOLD VW T5 102 SWB
R.I.P MK6 FWD 2.0TDDI Duratorq, EGR mod, K&N air filter, 16"alloys
KH_Towbars
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andyxr4x4 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:47 pm

hi mate yes its not to bad really just be carefulnot to lose the rubberseals as you pull off the old connectors like i said in the guide if your replacing the matrix its easier to cut the pipes under the dash and pull the pipes out from under the bonnet and use a screwdriver to push in the 2 tabs to release

then its just a struggle to move the heater box up

cheers
andy
2004 Transit t280 swb
2000 Volvo C70 T5
andyxr4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TheBoyRodgers » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Afternoon Gents,
I am halfway through this now on my Mk7 and am scratching my head wondering if something has changed under the dash between the 2004 model your signature says you have and the 59 plate I am spannering away at here!
The blower box in mine REALLY doesn't want to move more than a cm or two in any direction!
Jusy how much play did you have in yours to slide the matrix back in and work the pipes back through the bulkhead?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Duncan.
TheBoyRodgers

Postby andyxr4x4 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi mate I'm really sorry I can't remember it was 6 years ago I did it lol ! I hope someone else can come along to help
2004 Transit t280 swb
2000 Volvo C70 T5
andyxr4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TheBoyRodgers » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 pm

No worries mate - it was always a long shot!

Think I am going to be adventurous and adapt the pipes on the new unit using some silicon hoses so matrix CAN be slid out of the blower housing without the whole dash having to be taken off!
(which is what all sources point to as the only way it can be done on a Mk7)
TheBoyRodgers

Postby paul2012 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:13 pm

TheBoyRodgers wrote:Afternoon Gents,
I am halfway through this now on my Mk7 and am scratching my head wondering if something has changed under the dash between the 2004 model your signature says you have and the 59 plate I am spannering away at here!
The blower box in mine REALLY doesn't want to move more than a cm or two in any direction!
Jusy how much play did you have in yours to slide the matrix back in and work the pipes back through the bulkhead?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Duncan.

On a mk7. Interior heater assembly is removed complete with the dash at the same time.

There is no room to manoeuvre assembly while dash is still in place. :idea:
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits