*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

blue smoke / lumpy when started...then perfect

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

blue smoke / lumpy when started...then perfect

Postby APH » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:53 pm

Evening all, I recently acquired a 57plate tdci 1.8 90ps connect, which is in really good condition for its age, however I have a little niggle....when cold it mostly starts within a second or so, but sometimes takes 5 seconds of cranking before it fires, and after it does ( no matter how long it takes) it runs slightly rough / lumpy and blows blue smoke until it's been running about a minute or the revs are held up for a few seconds, then it idles perfectly and dosent smoke at all. It will then be fine all day, and dosent struggle to start at all until left about 4 hours or more to cool down significantly, then the smoke and rough idle and sometimes slow starting starts all over again.

My first though was air ingress / fuel running back as had same issues with Vauxhall combos, but not sure if it would be a lot harder to start? I've changed filters and oil, made no difference at all, and done leak off test as mileage is 184 000 and nothing significant showed up, so not sure if someone already did injectors or I'm just lucky. I have no service history at all so no idea if any things been changed.

While driving etc. there is no fault at all the engine, no smoke, no power loss, etc....only repeats issue when left for several hours. I have done code read on IDS and nothing showing, yet my maxi diag scanner repeatedly comes up with glow plug circuit low fault, and after clearing returns on next start up lol.

if I fill it right up with diesel it drips underneath till down to about half a tank, but looking at tank it looks new and shiny plastic, so think it may have been changed recently, and hoping sender isn't seated or sealed correctly. My first thought was bad o ring in a pipe on the sender, which could also cause air ingress to start off, but have kinda ruled that out due to leak stopping as fuel level decreases. so hopefully when I get a chance to drop tank that will be an easy fix, and nothing to do with above issue. 8)

I love the van, but don't want to start off with engine issues lol. I do have slight niggle regarding steering / rack but I'll start a new thread for that. :wink:

oh and the main battery positive lead decided to part company with the lug on the starter today :evil: so I'm now having to repair the loom by cutting it and fitting two big ring terminals to the main feed and alternator ends of the loom to bolt back to the starter terminal :roll:

Andy. :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: blue smoke / lumpy when started...then perfect

Postby liteace » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:51 am

blue smoke = burning oil, if it only does it at start up after a long period of engine off its more than likely going to be valve guide seals

if it was rings or turbo it would smoke more under load
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:50 am

Have you checked your glow plugs and where the red wire from them joins the loom at the cyl head :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby APH » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:30 am

liteace wrote:blue smoke = burning oil, if it only does it at start up after a long period of engine off its more than likely going to be valve guide seals

Umm that was my thinking, although other threads show blue smoke isn't always oil burning, so not sure now :?

bambi mk 1 wrote:Have you checked your glow plugs and where the red wire from them joins the loom at the cyl head :?:

Yes, connection is fine and have power to far end plug, so complete loom, fuse and relay are ok too.

Andy :D

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby karl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:41 pm

i would also suggest the valve stem seals :(

just done my zafira for this reason, leave it over night it wont start first turn of the key when checked the plugs they had oil on them so rebuilt the engine bin fine since
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:43 pm

APH wrote:
liteace wrote:blue smoke = burning oil, if it only does it at start up after a long period of engine off its more than likely going to be valve guide seals

Umm that was my thinking, although other threads show blue smoke isn't always oil burning, so not sure now :?

bambi mk 1 wrote:Have you checked your glow plugs and where the red wire from them joins the loom at the cyl head :?:

Yes, connection is fine and have power to far end plug, so complete loom, fuse and relay are ok too.

Did you check the plugs :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby lightning » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Second that.

My Connect was smoky on startup from cold, l checked the actual glow plugs and three of them were open circuit! Replaced all four and it was perfect after that.

I was a bit worried about changing them, as l'd read they can be stuck, but mine pretty much lifted out by hand.
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby APH » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks for the info, No I haven't tested the plugs yet as been too busy with work, but I'll try and look at them tomorrow or at the weekend and let you know what I find.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby APH » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi guys, sorry for long delay in getting back about this, been manic at work and no time to investigate etc. I have now replaced glow plugs and seems to be much improved :D so thanks to all that helped out.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic