*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ambient Air Temp sensor on 2014 FTC, AC not working

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Ambient Air Temp sensor on 2014 FTC, AC not working

Postby withalligators » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:46 am

Hey folks.
US transit connect owner here. I have mine fairly well converted for field work. I'm a biologist and work largely in the American southwest, mostly at distant research sites. I have it pretty well converted for living with a bed and storage, a 310w solar panel, 420AH of house battery, and a 12V freezer. It's a manageable space for 1 person and gear, though it's often messy. My only issue with it is the lack of clearance, the awful sync system, and now this.

Being in the SW, it gets hot. My outdoor temp reading often holds the wrong temp for a while. Today, it completely failed and gives a reading of -40f (yeah, yeah, Fahrenheit). Thus, the vehicle won't allow AC to turn on cause it doesn't want the condenser to fail at such low temps. Do you guys know where the sensor is on this thing? It's a cheap part, but I can't seem to find any info anywhere.

Cheers
withalligators

Re: Ambient Air Temp sensor on 2014 FTC, AC not working

Postby liteace » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Normally behind front bumper or fender as you call it over there
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby withalligators » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Excellent. I figured it would be there. Any clue how to get this plastic monster apart?
Cheers

We say bumper as well here.
withalligators

Postby roadkingsrule » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 pm

IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG
I just had to change the sensor on my 2015 Transit Connect XLT for the same reason. (The Motorcraft Part Number is: DY1160. I am a jobber so I get a discount. I paid $13) It is located behind the front bumper cover. To access it, remove the felt cover from under the front suspension, then remove the plastic filler piece that is curved on the ends, that extends the width of the bumper, and from the front lower edge of the bumper cover to the front crossmember. It is held on by 3 screws at the crossmember & several plastic push-pins connect it to the bumper cover & inner fenders. Once this piece is removed, you will see the sensor on the drivers (USA,left) side inside of the bumper cover, by the lower grille opening. Once you replace the sensor, you have to reset the computer. I just disconnected the positive battery connector overnight & reconnected it the next morning. Now the ambient air temperature reading is accurate & the AC works as it should.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roadkingsrule

Return to Transit Connect