*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clutch slave hose popped off!

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Clutch slave hose popped off!

Postby geekshow » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Anyone know why the clutch slave hose would pop off here?

Could it be the slave is stuck?

2004 Connect with 150k on the clock
Just fixed the fuel pump, now this! Need the wife back in business asap, planning to disassemble tonight & fit new slave tomorrow. Tried to reconnect and bleed but fluid going nowhere pushed up from the slave.bleed nipple by an Easibleed with 20psi pressure. Help!

geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Clutch slave hose popped off!

Postby geekshow » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Well me and the missus pushed the darn thing up the driveway and I've the alarm set to get cracking in the morning with it nicely in the back yard now. Should be able to get a slave cylinder locally tomorrow.
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 pm

Well, spent all day disassembling and filling this excellent guide to removing the gearbox by @Marty.H
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=120978&p=1004589&hilit=Remove+linkage&sid=de24bca2debf2b8e573df3599ce79631#p1005783

Struggling to get the box out, can get it separated by an inch or so from the engine but no further. Not sure what height it needs to be at as the box seems to foul on the subframe if it's too low :cry:
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Help! :oops: :shock:

So I took the gearbox off and the slave out - looks fine but got a new one anyway.

When I try to reverse bleed with my Ezibleed kit, I cant seem to push the fluid back up into the resevoir. When the pedal is pumped though you do get a bit of splutter at the slave bleed nipple so the path isnt totally blocked. Same with old and new slaves.

The master cylinder makes a splooshing sound when pumped, sounds like it's airlocked. I'm suspecting it's the culprit now, and it's not letting fluid return from the slave which caused the hose to pop off in the first place.

Could it be the master now??
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Picked up a used but working master cylinder so here goes...
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Fitted the new master cylinder, bled & tested it out when I got the gearbox bolted up before full reassembly....

Good pedal, yes! Pushed it, then the SAME HOSE POPPED OFF. Urrrggghhhh......

I'm guessing it's just a crappy hose union clip which needs beefed up, didn't take much pressure on the clutch pedal before it popped off. Tomorrow morning I'm planning to file off some edges and fit a new clip and test. I'm guessing this is just a bad design?
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:11 pm

FIXED!

I removed the clutch hydraulic pipe (Master->Slave cyl) from the donor car I've been using for parts (2002 Focus 1.8 TDDi), which crucially is missing the aluminium adapter shown in my photo above where the pipe connects to the slave cylinder.

The focus and Connect arrangements are slightly different, the Connect layout has an extra adapter (between the slave cyl and pipe) which was where the plug was popping out of. Replacing the pipe with the focus part means the pipe plugs directly into the slave cylinder and this has fixed the problem.

The root cause is unknown, however it didn't take much pressure on the clutch pedal to make the connector pop out in the first place so I'm guessing connector failure. The real question is - why did this happen without any changes or mechanical intervention?

Hoping if someone else has this problem this will help.
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect