*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Central locking fob suddenly stopped working.

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Central locking fob suddenly stopped working.

Postby Boghopper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 am

As a new week is upon us, it's time for my van to go wrong, once again. This week it's the central locking. Have tried a new fob battery, have tried a new fob, have tried reprogramming it, but it won't! The van goes into reprogramme mode, but pressing the buttons on the new fob does nothing. There was someone on this forum, in an earlier thread who had the exact same problem, but, alas, he never enlightened us as to what it was, only that it was fixed.

Does anyone know why the fob would suddenly stop working the central locking and a new one won't programme? 2007, '56 plate, TDCi.

Cheers.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Central locking fob suddenly stopped working.

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:33 pm

Does it still centrally lock with the key . meaning you turn the key in the door and you can hear all the locks open or close at the same time and the indicators flash once.

That would sort of prove its the fob and nothing else.

Also ..you make no mention of noises as you press the fob ..are the doors making clicking sounds ...as another fault can be ..passenger or rear door handle stiff ..and its not returned to resting position.

My fob is intermittent depending on if it feels like working ..I blame the mobile phone network jamming the signals. (5G)..as a minute later it can work. its pretty erratic. and has been like that for a year or so ..despite replacing battery

BTW ..pound land and home and bargain batteries...they are often more than 6 years old when you buy them.

look at expiry date on them ..it should not say 2025 , 2026 etc ..
it should say 2030 or later if its new

when new, they have something like a ten years into the future expiry date

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Boghopper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:58 pm

Yes, all the locks lock cycle with the key when in the driver's side door lock but nothing when using the fob. If I do the ignition eight times stuff the van goes into programming mode and all the door locks kick off. Then, when I press the fob buttons to supposedly programme it, there is silence. Then after twenty seconds the door locks cycle again as the van comes out of programming mode. But the fob still doesn't work.

I will try a newer batter, as the fob is brand new.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:24 pm

I have now put in a decent 'Energizer' battery, with an expirary of 2031 and that has fixed the problem. The other battery was new but it must have been a load of rubbish, as you mentioned. They were Philips, which I thought were a half decent make, but I don't know about that anymore. Everyone seems to be trading on their reputation from forty years ago. They have the same name and badge, but they aren't the same as they used to be.

Cheers anyway, Mark; saved me a lot of hassle.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:15 pm

I check the voltage of dry cell batteries before I fit them these days. A lot of them seem to be fakes or duds, especially if bought from internet retailers.
I've had two separate home alarm sensors fail prematurely, recently, just one out of the 3 AAA batteries completely dead, and the other two still full. One was an Energiser, and the other was a Duracell.

Also, two Button CR2032 fresh from the box, dead already :roll:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Transit Connect