*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My experiences with lowering a connect.

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: My experiences with lowering a connect.

Postby Honey monster » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Have you noticed if the front suspension is harder with the RS springs on. Going off your numbers they must have a higher lbs/ins rating than the standard ones.
Honey monster
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby connect_4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 pm

75psT330lwb wrote:exactly, so is it just that the focus is slightly heavier up front :?: which makes the drop slightly more :?:

Probably, we just don't know.

I'm trying to get as much information together as quickly as possible just to give people alternatives to what's already out there, at least i know now why the drop wasn't as much as i'd hoped for.

The Focus MK2 RS has a hefty lump at the front, how much difference between the weight of a Connect and a FOCUS RS we can only guess.

cheers

Andy
connect_4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby connect_4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Honey monster wrote:Have you noticed if the front suspension is harder with the RS springs on. Going off your numbers they must have a higher lbs/ins rating than the standard ones.

I took the van out for a spin and the front is stiffer and it handles MUCH better, it's not stiff so that it crashes out on bumps, it's very comfortable actually - I was surprised on actually how good it was.
connect_4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GKandR4CH » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 pm

So you have fitted them? Well come on lets see the pictures.
Read the forum rules
GKandR4CH
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Rumble bee » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for the information. Just bought a set of mk2 focus rs standard springs off ebay. Going to replace my Apex -40mm mk1 focus as with the weight off my van are too low. So if anyone is interested they might be up for sale.

Rumble bee
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby connect_4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 pm

GKandR4CH wrote:So you have fitted them? Well come on lets see the pictures.

They are all fitted, what pictures do you want ?
connect_4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby van mann » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Let people lower there vans the way they want.My lowering thread got p*ssed all over because some people didn't agree with the method.It,s getting the same with this .There are a few methods on here now on lowering a connect,copy them ,use your own or cut your springs in half.If it,s not your van ,it,s not your problem. :mrgreen:
van mann
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby baz6273 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:22 pm

i am also in the process of lowering my van, i also trolled e-bay for springs, i measured focus st springs same spring pan diamiter top & same top mounting size so used the origional connect bearing & mount, fits great feels much tighter but only lowers the van (unlaidened) 1/2" mk 2 focus springs would fit great using all the origional cups & bngs, full legs are slighlty larger diameter at the stub axle focus mk 1 are to small, still working on it.
baz6273

Postby GKandR4CH » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:26 am

Andy? Just get these pictures on here of the MK2 spring fitment.
Read the forum rules
GKandR4CH
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby valetech » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:52 am

just leave it gkandr4ch,leave him to get on with it.

i have said what had to be said and im staying out of it now.
molested by:

19s is how we roll
valetech
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby NikFrisbee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Its like a f*** playground on here of late. `mines better than yours` f*** grow up.
220LX-110psTuningBox-PP Decat Pipe-LongLife SS Exhaust TwinTailPipe-K&N Filter-18'' STAlloys-Heated Screen/Mirrors-TOAD-Mk3MondyHandles-Zetec S SteeringWheel-BlackRearLights-RS FocusCenter Console-FactoryFittedFord SatNav/SportsVanFacia
NikFrisbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby connect_4 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Right, for all you bell ends who just can't face it that i have found an alternative way to lower the front end of your connect - i have spent the morning taking the front suspension off again just to put some pictures up to stop you whinging and bitching like a bunch of f*** babies.....

HERE IS THE FRONT FOCUS MK2 RS SPRING FITTED TO THE VAN....

HERE IS THE LEG REMOVED FROM THE VAN WITH THE FOCUS MK2 RS SPRING FITTED....

as you can see it uses the standard Transit Connect top mount and bearing....

and fits the bottom cup perfect...

THIS NEXT PICTURE IS FOR THE SCAREMONGERS WHO THINK THAT THE SPRING IS LOOSE IN THE LEG - IT 100% IS NOT LOOSE - DO YOU UNDERSTAND !!!!

THE TOP OF THE SHOCK WITH THE THREAD ON JUST POKES THROUGH THE TOP MOUNT, WHEN THE NUT IS SCREWED TIGHT IT PUSHES THE SPRING DOWN A FURTHER 15mm THUS MAKING THE SPRING TIGHT ENOUGH IN THE LEG - ONCE AGAIN IT IS NOT LOOSE !!!!

The spring is squeezed very slightly with my hand to expose the thread - simple.

Now, for comparison i went a bit further and i borrowed my pal's Focus MK1 RS front springs, top cups and top mounts.

I then fitted these to my Transit Connect leg to show the scaremongers out there that the MK1 RS SPRING AND THE MK2 RS SPRING fit the same with regards to whether you need a spring compressor to fit them.....

FOCUS MK1 RS front spring inside the Connect leg.

Now the spring WITHOUT and top nut on the shock absorber... NO SPRING COMPRESSOR REQUIRED HERE EITHER !!!!

All that is required is to squeeze the spring slightly to expose the thread, then tighten up the nut to take up any slack - simple !!

So the MK1RS & MK2 RS springs DO NOT need a spring compressor to fit them, so according to "certain" people on here the spring MUST to be loose inside the leg, so everyone who's fitted the MK1 RS springs to their van had better go and change them because they are DANGEROUS - or NOT as i've proved !!!

I'm NOT going to defend what i've done any further, get over it and stop bloody harping on about petty moans you have, i'm not some 16 year old kid who's just learnt to pick up a spanner, i do know a thing or two and i am the sort of person who doesn't "scaremonger", i work with what i know and NOT what i think i know.

If you don't like this method then don't use it - SIMPLES !!!!

cheers

Andy
connect_4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby connect_4 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:26 pm

GKandR4CH wrote:Andy? Just get these pictures on here of the MK2 spring fitment.

I said i was going to do it today, read the posts FFS - all done now for your pleasure !!!

valetech wrote:just leave it gkandr4ch,leave him to get on with it.

i have said what had to be said and im staying out of it now.

Good, then perhaps we can get on with giving people some decent information so they can make up their own minds, rather than you posting stupid unproven remarks.

I WILL SAY AGAIN - JUST BECAUSE YOU FIT LOWERING SPRINGS THAT LOWER THE VAN BY 45mm IT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN THE VAN SPRING IS 45mm SHORTER.

The transit connect standard spring is approx 380mm in length, the Focus Mk1 RS spring is 290mm in length, so the Focus Mk1 RS spring is 90mm less in height than a standard connect spring - SO ACCORDING TO YOUR THEORY THE FOCUS MK1 RS SPRING WILL LOWER THE VAN BY 90mm ????

WRONG - LOWERS IT BY JUST UNDER 40mm - I KNOW BECAUSE JUST FOR MY OWN MIND I FITTED THE MK1 RS SPRINGS TO THE VAN AND MEASURED IT MYSELF.

So where did the other 50mm go to ???? - strange ?
connect_4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby connect_4 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Here is a pic of the MK2 RS spring is anyone's interested.....

Close up of the top cup which is the same as the standard Transit Connect top cup - seeHERE

Standard Transit Connect Top cup / topmount and bump stop....

Fitted to MK2 RS spring.

Last edited by connect_4 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
connect_4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby g-man » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:47 pm

so...............if i wanted to lower the front by 30/35mm, is this possible with whats known already
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect