*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear door won't open when unlocked

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Rear door won't open when unlocked

Postby Andy G » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:18 pm

As per title, the rear doors won't open, but then they do.... Strange? You bet ya
Here's he scenario
Lock the van via remote then press again to deadlock
Unlock, then unlock again for all doors should open yeh?
Nope
Back door handle stiff, so put key in lock at back door and lock again with key then unlock try handle and it opens, and will do all day with ease until fully locked again
Doing my nut in as I've only just got the connect, surely this isn't right

Andy
Andy G
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rear door won't open when unlocked

Postby paul2012 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 pm

When you unlock with remote fob, thump the rear door handle & it should open :wink:

It's Common problem
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Andy G » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Are pulling my leg?
Andy G
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby liteace » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:35 am

if it deadlocks locks\unlocks all the doors OK its getting a signal from central locking control module, if the rear door is being a pain it could be a broken wire going to that door, I think its the black green wire, will have to check to 100% sure (cant remember yesterday me :? ) if the wiring is good it could be the latch worn, the central locking and deadlocking actuators are built into the door latches, they do have a few plastic part in them wear out, when you use the key it directly moves the parts in the latch that the actuators move when using the remote
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paul2012 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:51 am

Andy G wrote:Are pulling my leg?

Nope, same problem I have had with both of my connects :wink:

Until I removed the rear doo handle assembly gave it a clean & lubricated well.

The fault is the control rod from the door handle to lock, it tends too stick at the handle end.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Andy G » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 am

Ok door handle been removed an lubed, but how do we get the lock out?, removed the spring holding the lock and the four torq bolts, everything moves but can't seem to get the lock out, I've put the key in and turned it but to no avail, a pic would be great
Andy G
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby liteace » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 am

Take off the lock barrel clip from the inside
Put in the key & turn it clockwise
Press in the cylinder locking pin (on the inside of the door)
Release the key
Turn the lock barrel anti clockwise to remove

The it should come out, be careful when pressing the pin in that you dont damage it

Have a look at the pic on this page,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-IGN ... 3f260e8ac0

I know thats a ignition barrel but you can see the pin, you have to turn the key before the pin will push in

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Andy G » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:42 am

Ok this cylinder pin? Is it the white clips in the centre of the lock or is it hidden somewhere?

Cancel that, will have a look later thanks, I take it there's a hole in the metal casing somewhere
Andy G
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby liteace » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 am

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Andy G » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks for you patience, there aught to be a thanks button on the forum
Andy G
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Andy G » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:14 pm

FIXED.......

Well after having a new handle assembly sent from the dealers decided to investigate further, before I fitted it I removed the lock (thanks liteace for the pic) and the whole assembly from the door, and noticed straight from the off the emergency escape latch was bent slightly and causing it to be stiff in action, so removed the circlip holding it in place straightened it out and re greased, checked for smooth operation and refitted....

Hey presto all doors now working as they should, hope this helps anyone else in the same situation

Andy
Andy G
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby liteace » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Andy G wrote:FIXED.......

Well after having a new handle assembly sent from the dealers decided to investigate further, before I fitted it I removed the lock (thanks liteace for the pic) and the whole assembly from the door, and noticed straight from the off the emergency escape latch was bent slightly and causing it to be stiff in action, so removed the circlip holding it in place straightened it out and re greased, checked for smooth operation and refitted....

Hey presto all doors now working as they should, hope this helps anyone else in the same situation

Andy

Oh I forgot about that, as mine is a closed in van I welded a plate over the top of that emergency escape latch as mine was constantly getting bashed from the inside and causing problems, I'll get some good sleep soon and then maybe me brain will work again

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby chriswalk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:16 pm

i have this and other lock problems all the time with my transit, to put it bluntly i EFFing hate the locks.

today went to builders merchants for a ton of sand loaded in the back. sods law the back doors wouldn't open be it with the keyfob or going inside to manually open. had to move mixer and tools to the back so it could go in the side. pain in the ass trying to get a mixer over a ton bag of sand in the back when at work.

this trick normally sorts it, but not always, today it didn't work. put the key in the ignition and without starting the engine turn the key back and forth fast. the locks will all activate and do something, normally it sorts the issues.

good luck
chriswalk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Untidyviking » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:38 pm

chriswalk wrote:i have this and other lock problems all the time with my transit, to put it bluntly i EFFing hate the locks.

today went to builders merchants for a ton of sand loaded in the back. sods law the back doors wouldn't open be it with the keyfob or going inside to manually open. had to move mixer and tools to the back so it could go in the side. pain in the ass trying to get a mixer over a ton bag of sand in the back when at work.

this trick normally sorts it, but not always, today it didn't work. put the key in the ignition and without starting the engine turn the key back and forth fast. the locks will all activate and do something, normally it sorts the issues.

good luck

Hi I’ve just tried this truck on my 05 connect and it worked. My problem is when the van is locked I cannot unlock the back doors. The back door will activate central locking to lock the van but not to unlock.
Any ideas what the specific problem might be? I’ve tried cleaning electrical contacts etc to no avail.
Untidyviking

Return to Transit Connect