*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Egr valve motor - Expert advice needed!!!

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Egr valve motor - Expert advice needed!!!

Postby clueless chancer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:31 pm

After some excellent advice on here in the past, I am hoping I will get lucky again, and find another forum expert who can help. People here tend to be more knowledgeable than most mechanics I encounter!

So, I have a Transit Connect 1.8 tdci, 2007 model. It has the motor operated EGR valve, the one which comes as part of the inlet manifold, and cannot be separated. It has the black plastic cover on the motor end, and a shutdown valve on the air inlet end (looks like a little metal mushroom).

Had various splutters and yellow cog warning light on, when I plug in code reader I get EGR faults. It broke down a couple of weeks ago (lost power, wouldn't rev over 1500rpm, smoke like mad etc). I immediately thought EGR valve, so I removed the motor. Underneath, the little butterfly thing that you can operate manually with a pair of long nosed pliers (link here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwsyFzg_OGM) has fallen apart; the little bearings have all fallen to bits.

My questions are:

1) Would this cause the van to run so badly, and need recovering, or is it more likely an injector or something?
2) Is my only option to replace the whole assembly, or can I disable it (blank off, block vacuum hose etc)? Is there a reliable method to disable without it going into flashy glow plug light panic mode?

Hope someone can advise!
clueless chancer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Egr valve motor - Expert advice needed!!!

Postby g-man » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 pm

should'nt do as its normally open,i blocked the vac pipe and blanked the egr pipe,first get the fault codes read
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby clueless chancer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:44 pm

g-man wrote:should'nt do as its normally open,i blocked the vac pipe and blanked the egr pipe,first get the fault codes read

Is your's the same one?
Is it the vacuum hose that connects very close to the 'air inlet end' that you blocked?
Did you use the blanking plate with hole in, or the solid one?

Sorry for all the questions!
clueless chancer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby g-man » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 pm

same
yes
tried both
have had the eml coming on intermittantly tho' not been on since sorting boost pipe
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby clueless chancer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks g-man, advice much appreciated!

Anyone else who can add to this?
clueless chancer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby clueless chancer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Anyone else who can add anything?
clueless chancer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul2012 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 pm

If EGR valve is stuck open, it will also cause smoke being emitted from exhaust, poor idling & acceleration
Also engine would be hard to start from cold.
When accelerating EGR valve should be fully closed, In some cases engine hesitates / shudders. This is another symptom of EGR fault & due to sticky RGR valve that has not closed fully :wink:

If little bearings etc on the EGR valve control shaft have sheared off, EGR motor assembly will not be able to open close the valve properly :!:
Unfortunately blanking it off on a Euro 4 engine is not a quick & easy fix :!:

Replacement is required :(
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby liteace » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:22 am

Just blank it off, if its blanked its just the same as if the egr is permanently closed with one type of blank, you can try a this without a hole in the middle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-bla ... 1c32887be7

if your lucky it'll work no problem, Ive seen a few with the electronic EGR that are OK and dont put waning lamp on but if your egr is not working as it should you'll have mil lamp on anyway so its not going to make much difference, if it dont work then try this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-bla ... 19d23e2de7

Its worth a try for the cost of a 10er ish, that way at least you can use the van until you decide what or when to change the manifold
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SWtechnologies » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:49 pm

I've tryed blanking my 75 tdci euro 4 egr as have had the same problems!

Trust me it don't work!!!!! Van drives like crap at low revs. And can splutter and it defo feels slower a lot slower!

Im on the look out for a egr valve now... I would take paul's advice he is the man when it comes to info on the connects!
SW technologies
SWtechnologies
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby liteace » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:08 pm

SWtechnologies wrote:I've tryed blanking my 75 tdci euro 4 egr as have had the same problems!

Trust me it don't work!!!!! Van drives like crap at low revs. And can splutter and it defo feels slower a lot slower!

Im on the look out for a egr valve now... I would take paul's advice he is the man when it comes to info on the connects!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you done something wrong on the easy job of fitting it, LOOK at the sellers 17934, 100% Positive feedback, Im not going to sit there and count but Im sure out of the 17934 there will be loads sold to tdci owners and they're all happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby clueless chancer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 pm

paul2012 wrote:If EGR valve is stuck open, it will also cause smoke being emitted from exhaust, poor idling & acceleration
When accelerating EGR valve should be fully closed, In some cases engine hesitates / shudders. This is another symptom of EGR fault & due to sticky RGR valve that has not closed fully :wink:

If little bearings etc on the EGR valve control shaft have sheared off, EGR motor assembly will not be able to open close the valve properly :!:

I think you are right, and I am in the process of removing the EGR/inlet manifold assembly, but it is a right bitch of a job. 3 of the bolts on the inlet manifold are inaccessible due to the location of the exhaust manifold. So, the exhaust manifold is going to have to come off.

Removed all exhaust manifold bolts mounting it to the cylinder head, then was left with only 4 bolts mounting on to the downpipe. Obviously, one of them has decided to round off, so now in the process of trying to split the last remaining bolt, so I can get it out. No doubt the exhaust manifold will be a nightmare to split from the downpipe if I ever get the bolt out.

Then I have to get the last 3 bolts out of the inlet manifold, remove it, and try to find a replacement.

Looking on the bright side though, at least my hands are covered in cuts and scrapes, and all my tools covered in black tdci crap!

Good times.
clueless chancer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby clueless chancer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:28 am

P.S. I don't suppose anyone has ever successfully repaired the collapsed bearings???
clueless chancer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul2012 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:22 pm

clueless chancer wrote:
paul2012 wrote:If EGR valve is stuck open, it will also cause smoke being emitted from exhaust, poor idling & acceleration

I think you are right, and I am in the process of removing the EGR/inlet manifold assembly, but it is a right bitch of a job. 3 of the bolts on the inlet manifold are inaccessible due to the location of the exhaust manifold. So, the exhaust manifold is going to have to come off.

Removed all exhaust manifold bolts mounting it to the cylinder head, then was left with only 4 bolts mounting on to the downpipe. Obviously, one of them has decided to round off, so now in the process of trying to split the last remaining bolt, so I can get it out. No doubt the exhaust manifold will be a nightmare to split from the downpipe if I ever get the bolt out.

clueless chancer wrote:P.S. I don't suppose anyone has ever successfully repaired the collapsed bearings???

Only option is to replace :(

Then I have to get the last 3 bolts out of the inlet manifold, remove it, and try to find a replacement.

Looking on the bright side though, at least my hands are covered in cuts and scrapes, and all my tools covered in black tdci crap!

Good times.

To remove inlet manifold on 75/90ps engines.

1. Remove EGR cooler first,
2. Unbolt CAT from manifold - Dont't forget the single bolt which bolts CAT to lower support bracket on lower crankcase. Give is a sharp tap & it will separate from exhaust manifold easily :D
3. Unbolt turbo oil feed pipe from oil cooler (just above oil filter) & bolt clamping pipe to crankcase. Unclamp turbo oil return pipe from crankcase.
4. Remove exhaust manifold complete with turbo.
5. Once clear then proceed to unbolt & remove inlet manifold.

It's time consuming & abit awkward due to lack of space.
I found some of it easier to do from underneath, instead of reaching over the top of engine :wink:
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby clueless chancer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks paul2012, you clearly know your stuff!
Appreciate the help.
clueless chancer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby clueless chancer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:35 pm

FIXED!

Fitted brand spanking new EGR valve and inlet manifold (thanks kjb), cleaned intercooler out, cleaned all intercooler hoses and fitted new clips to all, checked all hoses/vac pipes for splits etc.

Now starts perfectly, sounds much better, no warning lights on, feels much more powerful than before.

Good times.
clueless chancer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Connect