*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

rear brake drum removal

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

rear brake drum removal

Postby gt53 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Hello fellow tc operators,I have a 2007 transit connect tdci with noisy braking, seems to be coming from the rear offside, it's strange in as much as if I use the hand brake when stopping (as a test)i it doesn't make the noise (metal to metal sound)it only happens when the foot brake is used. Now the real problem is that I have attempted to get the offside rear brake drum off but it wont budge I have tried levering top and bottom of drum I made a pulley that fits over the rim of the drum and screws down on the rear wheel hub stud but it still won't move, I was thinking of undoing the hub nut and using my puller to drag the whole thing off but was wondering what sort of damage I might inflict on the wheel hub by doing this. Has anybody else had similar problems with removing the rear brake drums on their tranny conns and if so how did you over come this problem . Thanks in advance for any worthwhile suggestions.
gt53

Re: rear brake drum removal

Postby Funconnect » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:31 am

If your drum doesn't come off there a chance that the shoes will have worn away the braking surface of the inside of the drum and left a lip that stops the drum coming off over what's left of the shoes. Take off the handbrake adjustment and see if it helps.
Your puller is a good idea but the drum needs to be levered off one side at a time ie lever the left then right side then the left etc. Your puller will be pulling square on .
Removing the hub sometimes works as it allows more sideways movement to the drum and if careful no damage should occur
Funconnect
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby liteace » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gt53 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:38 pm

thanks for the replies and the link for info, I will certainly look into that. Regarding the groove worn in the brake drum friction surface should I expect at least some movement of the drum when levering as mine won't move at all it's almost as if the drum is rusted on to the hub/bearing carrier.
gt53

Postby Funconnect » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:43 pm

gt53 wrote:thanks for the replies and the link for info, I will certainly look into that. Regarding the groove worn in the brake drum friction surface should I expect at least some movement of the drum when levering as mine won't move at all it's almost as if the drum is rusted on to the hub/bearing carrier.

It could be , try it with a big hammer
Funconnect
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Does the wheel rotate when the handbrake is off?
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby john kyte » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 pm

I had this problem,,, So I hit the wheel studs in,,so now the drum is not stuck on the studs,,,,then ,I put a jack from edge of drum up to the chassis,,,and jacked chassis up so that weight of van is trying to push the drum off,,,then kept hitting drum with[you guessed] yes a hammer,,,until drum finally popped off. I think I heated the drum before hammering I think the drums had been on there since 1989 but only 58000 on the clock
john kyte
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt53 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Glad to report the fbh fixed it perseverence and brut foce finally over came the problem which I am convinced was down to rust on the bearing carrier/hub, have replaced the brake shoes which were down to the metal, cleaned the hubs of rust and refitted drums which now slide on and off with little effort and now the handbrake works like a goodun. Thanks for the suggestions.
gt53

Return to Transit Connect