*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Connect oil leak please help

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Transit Connect oil leak please help

Postby Faser » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some technical advice please. I have a 2009 1.8 tdci connect, with a oil leak from the lower end of the plastic timing cover at the injection pump. I cleaned the engine and investigated leak, I found that the lower timing cover bolt was missing and that the leak appeared to be coming from the bolt hole. I replaced the bolt and cleaned off residue. I then ran the engine under load, only to find the leak had got worse. It only leaks under load and is fine at tick over. I've phoned the ford parts department and asked about seals or gaskets for this area, but the parts department weren't very helpful. I thought that I would ask the forum if there was anything common or anything I should look at? I did think it was the seal plate behind the injection pump pulley and I also considered the oil pump housing? But was unsure if this has a gasket or seal?
I would be very grateful for any help or advice please.
Faser

Re: Transit Connect oil leak please help

Postby gt_addict » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 pm

I have a leak in the same area. Covers the sump and timing belt cover but doesn't affect anything and the van doesn't loose any noticeable amounts of oil between services so I've just left it. My mechanic mate has said it's the crank shaft seal so a big job to do.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Faser » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:03 am

Cheers for posting a reply. I just found it really strange for oil to be leaking out near the injection pump area when the crankshaft seal or further down. I didn't want to strip off the alloy cover which I believe they call the "oil pump" if I really didn't have to? Do you get oil all over your alternator? Mines mostly drips from it and the alternator housing?
Faser

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 am

No mine just collects in the timing belt cover. If it's on the alternator maybe you should get it looked at.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Faser » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Cheers buddy, that's what I'm in the middle of doing. Just thought I would speak with others and see if it was a common issue? I've stripped it, but don't want to end up replacing more than it actually needs. Will replace the timing belt and tensioner while I'm in about it, will also replace the plate/seal that goes round the injection pump pulley. Hopefully someone see's this thread and can relate to lol
Faser

Postby Faser » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Just an uptake guys. Stripped down the van and removed seal plate from behind injection pump pulley. Used high grade engine sealant in oil pump timing chain housing and also on the injection pump outer shield. Rebuilt and left over night to allow sealer to work. Road tested van and so far so good. Did over 20miles and drip free. Cheers for the advice
Faser

Postby Funconnect » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 am

Glad you've got it sorted and gave us feedback on how to repair ,
I'll know what to do if mine leaks oil in that area. :D
Funconnect
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect