*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Newby with a few questions (already searched)

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Newby with a few questions (already searched)

Postby DJLes » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:43 am

Just got my Transit Connect on Monday, it's an ex Inverness Local Authority vehicle (in exciting yellow lol). The back has been panelled with ply and is very clean, 99,000 on the clock with full service history in the Local Authority driver fault reporting system booklet provided in the documentation.

After reading various topics on here, I checked the tyres and found three of them are T93 and one is T91 which is obviously the spare (crappy rusty wheel) fitted to nearside front. The spare (which was flat) is also a T93. Inflated it yesterday and will check today to see if it has kept it's pressure.

There's a sticker on the dash stating that it is speed limited to 62mph. I assume this was to save fuel. I drove it yesterday and found when hitting 60 the acceleration declines and then sticks to 62 no matter how far down the accelerated pedal is pressed. Rev counter shows 2,000 revs, the rev counter goes higher in other gears. Would it be a good idea to leave it for economy or remove it?

Found a problem with the audio/clock/radio/CD display. They do not come on at the accessory position on the ignition, only the full ignition position. The clock on the audio display showed the correct date but the clock was showing zero. After setting the correct time, the next time the ignition is switched off and back on the clock shows zero again. It is not retaining the time in memory. I reset the clock a couple of times and it keeps happening every time. Also, when starting the engine there is no display for 30 seconds to a minute. Seems a long time to show the display.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get to know the van.
Cheers.
Les
DJLes
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Newby with a few questions (already searched)

Postby gt_addict » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:02 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. What model of van is it exactly? TDCI, TDDI?

Is it the SWB T200 or T220 or the LWB T230?

Until we know that we can't answer the tyre question.

As for the radio, have you taken it out and check to see if the permenant live and ignition love are wired correctly?
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby doebag » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am

Speed wise, 60 mph is the legal limit for the van on dual carriageway roads, so guess a lot of public utilities limit them to protect drivers who are constantly changing from one fleet vehicle to another [ car to van to car]
You will notice a difference in fuel consumption if did drive at 70 on dual carriageway and motorways, the van is not the most aerodynamic of vehicles !
doebag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DJLes » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:44 am

gt_addict wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the forum. What model of van is it exactly? TDCI, TDDI?

Is it the SWB T200 or T220 or the LWB T230?

Until we know that we can't answer the tyre question.

As for the radio, have you taken it out and check to see if the permenant live and ignition love are wired correctly?

Van details are in my signature, only forgot the TDCi bit, will add that now. :wink:
No idea about the radio wiring, would find it odd that a Local Authority vehicle would be messed with in that area. They had it from new til July, well I assume so as the previous Tax ran out at the end of July.

doebag wrote:You will notice a difference in fuel consumption if did drive at 70 on dual carriageway and motorways, the van is not the most aerodynamic of vehicles !

Guess I might just leave it for now and see what the fuel consumption works out at. :)
DJLes
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:56 am

Sorry totally didn't see the van info :oops:

The T230 requires 95 rated tyres all round. Well according to the handbook anyway.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Milemuncher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi Les, welcome to the forum.

As Inverness is about 120 miles from the nearest motorway where it could legally do 70, i would think that a great idea by the council to have the limiter. Not that the driver will have thought so, but they probably don't go out of their county boundary anyway.

As for you to remove it then that's personal choice - if you are restrained like me then you can do 60 to save fuel, but go faster if you ever feel the need to.

Where you are, don't forget that the A1M through Co Durham is 70mph, but the A1 is 60mph for a van. And the western bypass is 50 anyway - so take your choice !
Milemuncher
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby John235 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Milemuncher, you make a very valid point!
Can anyone clarify the position regarding speed limits, & can you change the tax class to alter the speed limit?
Mine is a LWB, built as a crewbus, on which I have fitted glazed side doors - so it might be possible!
It does seem daft that a Connect is as a LGV, where my previous Combo 2000 had a higher payload, but was classed as a car-based van , so the limits were as per a car!
John235
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby paul2012 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:13 pm

John235 wrote:Milemuncher, you make a very valid point!
Can anyone clarify the position regarding speed limits, & can you change the tax class to alter the speed limit?
Mine is a LWB, built as a crewbus, on which I have fitted glazed side doors - so it might be possible!
It does seem daft that a Connect is as a LGV, where my previous Combo 2000 had a higher payload, but was classed as a car-based van , so the limits were as per a car!

Taxation class, - PLG, LGV, Disabled - does not determine speed limit for that type of vehicle :!:

It's the vehicle type approval. For Example.

Transit Connect is type approval N1 - Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass not exceeding 3500kg (LGV)

Transit Connect Tourneo is type approval M1 - Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat. (Same as a normal car LPG)

All Connect Crew vans are type approved as N1 :wink:

Speed limits see here :arrow: https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

For all Camper van type approval is M1 Special Purpose....
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DJLes » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Milemuncher wrote:As Inverness is about 120 miles from the nearest motorway where it could legally do 70, i would think that a great idea by the council to have the limiter. Not that the driver will have thought so, but they probably don't go out of their county boundary anyway.

Interesting point, I once took a couple of pallets of central heating pumps from Durham to Banf for my brothers haulage business. After Aberdeen there was no more motorway, it was all A roads for mile after mile. :(

May just leave the speed restrictor on for now. Very rarely get on the motorway anyway, can always remove it later if necessary. I have a son & his family in Kent, used to cost £120 in petrol in the BMW Z3 sportscar for the round trip, will be interesting to see how much cheaper it will be in the van at 60mph. :lol:

Tyres - apparently I have 3xT93s and 2xT91s
DJLes
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DJLes » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 pm

DJLes wrote:Found a problem with the audio/clock/radio/CD display. They do not come on at the accessory position on the ignition, only the full ignition position. The clock on the audio display showed the correct date but the clock was showing zero. After setting the correct time, the next time the ignition is switched off and back on the clock shows zero again. It is not retaining the time in memory. I reset the clock a couple of times and it keeps happening every time. Also, when starting the engine there is no display for 30 seconds to a minute. Seems a long time to show the display.

Checked today, from switching ignition on it takes 17 seconds (seems longer lol) before the rev counter moves, the Odometer/Trip displays, the fuel gauge to move, and the audio/radio/CD/clock to display. This doesn't seem normal to me, date and time resets every time the ignition is switched off and back on. Checking through the comprehensive service history booklet, it seems to have had a new battery fitted in 2011, it would be only 4 years old then. I'm wondering if somebody changed the wiring in case these displays were draining power and the battery was going flat, dunno, just guessing. Seems strange for someone to mess with the wiring on what is effectively a company vehicle. According to the service history reports it seems to have had the same driver throughout its life at Inverness Local Authority.
DJLes
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DJLes » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:24 pm

Anyone have answers on the weird electrical problem???

Additional to that, the cab interior light only works in the manual position when the ignition is on. The payload area light seems to have been changed to a small striplight that doesn't work.

Fuel consumption; haven't filled the tank only been putting £30 worth in at a time, currently when the fuel low warning light comes on;

Tesco 22.57 litres (4.9654 galls) trip=216.2 = 43.5 mpg
Tesco 22.40 litres (4.928 galls) trip=198.2 = 40.2 mpg

This was with just steady driving with an empty van. Is this about average?

Been using Tesco 24 hour self service because I got used to filling the sportscar with high 99 octane petrol (and the points lol). Definitely made a difference with the sportscar performance. There's also a Morrisons and an Esso 24 hour nearby, would Esso be a better option for diesel? What about the new more expensive diesels like Esso Supreme, do they make much difference?
Cheers
Les
DJLes
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Graham Taylor » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:01 pm

A common problem with the cab light is associated with the cluster. Try removing the fuse (engine compartment) for a few seconds and see if that works. If so not a permanent fix but should last a few months.

Regarding fuel, my van runs like shite on supermarket fuel so only use Shell. I also add a dash of Millers to help clean the injectors, some add 2 stroke and g-man has his own cocktail of a mixture of both.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby highroof » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I recently found out by accident that the tyre rating of 91T on a T230 isn't an issue legally, or for MOT purposes, only something to consider for peace of mind if the van carries a lot of weight regularly.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DJLes » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:04 am

Tried a full tank of diesel from low fuel warning light to low fuel warning light and got;

401.3 miles on 9.5898 gallons = 41.8 mpg.

I've noticed that, when the engine is hot, the clutch has a little slip now and again if trying to accelerate too hard in 4th, especially when climbing.
So, looks like it's gonna need a clutch soon. Not carrying any weight with it, so, it should last a while yet, may do it next month. My mates want to do it to save me money, but, I'm not too sure whether to let them loose on it or not. :roll: Will get some quotes first.

Dunno what to do with it yet, whether to get into haulage carrying goods around or turn it into a stealth camper (in Council Yellow :lol: ). I don't work during the week which means I could go on little adventures exploring the country for a day or two.
Cheers
Les
DJLes
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Postman Pat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 am

Les, the '09 T230 110PS I just disposed off would slip its clutch under hard acceleration even when empty on a flat road, I never did understand why Ford bu99ered the torque curve from the original 90PS, that was absolutely spot-on whereas the 110PS would initially bog down when pulling away, then light up the front tyres and go nowhere! Once I'd convinced myself the clutch wasn't actually shot it went on to do 138000 miles, still slipping if you clogged it :D I just put it down to an excess of grunt over what the clutch was designed to take.
Connect-ed since 2003... now in a 2014 T240 115PS Ltd.
Postman Pat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect