*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Connect 2003 TDDI wont start

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Transit Connect 2003 TDDI wont start

Postby badgerworcs » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi All
Hope someone can help with this problem, i have a 2003 transit connect TDDI , went to work started ok went to garage filled her up , started ok , drove 35 miles outside customers house , parked facing uphill on quite a steep drive , did job and 2 hours later came out wouldn't start , turning over OK no warning lights flashing just wouldn't start , ran it down the drive onto the road turned over again still wouldn't start. called Green Flag got a young lad come and have a look , he checked timing belt and sprayed easy start up the hole and the engine fired but wouldn't run without the spray, he concluded that it was the electrical pump in the fuel tank , when i told him it hadn't got one he got the hump towed me home and buggered off.
Any way this engine is out of a focus (90) its been running fine for 12 months , 2 months ago the metering valve on the pump started to leak , didn't read the site (Muppet) so i bought a second hand one which i fitted and it didn't work (because of the mechanical seal at the front ) got a seal and changed it and it worked , engine running OK starting a bit slow but OK. Until yesterday !!!
I have been messing about all day today with it , bled it 4 times checked the fuel at the injectors and the pump, changed fuel filter , got voltage at the metering valve , led across terminal block lights when engine rotating and it still wants to start with easy start so the mechanicals are ok .
before i start spending sheds loads of money could it be the Metering valve again , i have got 0.3ohms across it and it clicks when going across 12v or could it be the processor card in the top , i read a site (primarily for MG rover but has the Bosch VP30 on it ) that said it would only be one of three things metering valve , timing valve or the card/ecu . or could it be something else?
Does anyone have any thoughts or advice as I am struggling now .
HELP
badgerworcs

Re: Transit Connect 2003 TDDI wont start

Postby badgerworcs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:47 am

additional information, i have borrowed a code reader and when it eventually loads up its saying there are no fault codes stored , can i take it that the ecu is OK then , is there ever a case where the ecu is faulty but doesn't show a code ?
badgerworcs

Postby karl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:55 am

paul2012 is your man be antipathy and he will reply :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby liteace » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:08 pm

badgerworcs wrote:additional information, i have borrowed a code reader and when it eventually loads up its saying there are no fault codes stored , can i take it that the ecu is OK then , is there ever a case where the ecu is faulty but doesn't show a code ?

Last 1 I looked at with faulty pump ecu had codes:

P1664
P1564

Have you check for power and earth on pump plug:

Pin 6 earth
Pin 7 power

If no power check relay
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby liteace » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:12 pm

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby badgerworcs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:40 pm

cheers for that , i have checked the pins and Ive definitely got the 12v and earth ok, although the pins were opposite to the drawing but i am assuming that's from the back and not the front.

I have removed the metering valve but to be honest it seems to be working fine ,clicks when power is applied , do the seals fail internally so you don't get the high pressure to the injectors , or is it usually just leaking from the back or the coil burning out?
badgerworcs

Postby paul2012 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Parked on a steep hill facing upwards, now won't start.

1st Check diesel filter, is it full of diesel ? if not then one or more fuel pipes may have an airleak resulting in fuel returning to tank.

2nd Try another device to read DTC's (Error codes) As Connect TDDI's are not OBDII compliant :!:
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby liteace » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:49 pm

badgerworcs wrote:

............................................................................................................................................................................................................I have been messing about all day today with it , bled it 4 times checked the fuel at the injectors and the pump, changed fuel filter , got voltage at the metering valve , led across terminal block lights when engine rotating .........................................................................................................................................
HELP

:shock:

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby badgerworcs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:33 pm

cheers paul2012 can you recommend a code reader type or make ?
i did change the filter thinking it may be no good , and i have bled it numerous times, i know they are a pain to bleed but i was pretty sure i got all the air out , i have also fitted a clear pipe from the out of the filter to the input side of the pump and there doesn't seem to be any air coming through the pipe , is there any foolproof way to determine if there is air still in the system , other than not starting, i am using one of those diesel pumps to suck through from the filter, unless i am being a bit dopy and not doing it correctly
badgerworcs

Postby paul2012 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:59 pm

badgerworcs wrote:cheers paul2012 can you recommend a code reader type or make ?
i did change the filter thinking it may be no good , and i have bled it numerous times, i know they are a pain to bleed but i was pretty sure i got all the air out , i have also fitted a clear pipe from the out of the filter to the input side of the pump and there doesn't seem to be any air coming through the pipe , is there any foolproof way to determine if there is air still in the system , other than not starting, i am using one of those diesel pumps to suck through from the filter, unless i am being a bit dopy and not doing it correctly

When priming fuel system after changing filter.

Fit priming bulb between main fuel feed pipe from tank & filter. (One end connects to main fuel feed pipe & the other too Diesel filter).
Squeeze priming buld until it goes hard, then start engine. (leaving priming bulb inplace)

Devices to read DTC's, There are 100's of cheap devices out there.
I think a Ford F SUPER 2 Scanner would work. Maybe some members on here can shed some light on the devices they have used to read DTC's on their Connect TDDI's...

As I use Ford IDS which is expensive.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby badgerworcs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:25 pm

i have just bought a ford super 2 off bay as per your suggestion, i haven't been bleeding in that way so I will wait for the diagnostic tool to arrive and if there are no codes stored , i will bleed the system as suggested , its gonna be weekend now but i will let you know how i got on,
many thanks for the advice
badgerworcs

Postby badgerworcs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:41 pm

ok just got my ford super F , and it turns out there are 3 fault codes

P0110 air intake sensor 1 circuit
P1664 injection pump control module malfunction
P1564 injection pump control module requesting reduced fueling

I cleared the codes but when the ignition was turned back on they came back !
I am assuming now that the control module in the top of the pump is faulty , so the next question is can I get it repaired and where,
by the way , spot on with the diagnosis guys I am really grateful for your help
badgerworcs

Postby karl » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:49 pm

[quote="badgerworcs"]ok just got my ford super F , and it turns out there are 3 fault codes

P0110 air intake sensor 1 circuit
P1664 injection pump control module malfunction
P1564 injection pump control module requesting reduced fueling

I cleared the codes but when the ignition was turned back on they came back !
I am assuming now that the control module in the top of the pump is faulty , so the next question is can I get it repaired and where,
by the way , spot on with the diagnosis guys I am really grateful for your help[/quote

i can help my number is 07411 048483
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby badgerworcs » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:37 pm

got a good spare on its way from Karl , anyone know a ecu programmer in the Worcester area ?
badgerworcs

Return to Transit Connect