*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Well, 300 miles in, and it broke down briefly today!

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Well, 300 miles in, and it broke down briefly today!

Postby highroof » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:44 pm

So, I picked up my latest Connect about a month ago, and immediately went on holiday for 3 weeks or so, meaning that the van has hardly been used. In between faffing about trying to get it ready to be my replacement for my other Connect, I'm using it as much as possible while it's still under warranty, ideally trying to break things while someone else has to pick up the bills!

I thought I'd come up trumps today, taking it to a mates garage to get the oil and all filters changed, and it went into limp mode......plug the reader in, and it throws up a few codes, the likely culprit being air mass meter. Codes cleared, try and run it up the road to see what it does next, and it just dies at any application of the throttle. Unplug the AMM, and it drives ok. So, we pull out the offending article to see if cleaning it might work, and there's a tiny piece of leaf stuck in it. This is what you get when you change the air filter, and don't properly clean out the debris in the bottom of the air box. Remove leaf, normal service seems to be resumed.On a different note though, what a bitch to start after changing the fuel filter....had to remove the fuel cap, remove the supply pipe at the pump, and draw the diesel through with a separate pump after 10 mins of trying to get it to fire up on the starter!

Moral of the story......if you're a mechanical numpty, leave well alone. My fault, I thought even I couldn't cock up changing an air filter, my mistake!
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Well, 300 miles in, and it broke down briefly today!

Postby gt_addict » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:04 am

You've got to fill the new filter with fresh diesel before you fit it and try and start it. Running the fuel pump dry due to lack of fuel is kind of worrying.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby blue estate » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:08 am

gt_addict wrote:You've got to fill the new filter with fresh diesel before you fit it and try and start it. Running the fuel pump dry due to lack of fuel is kind of worrying.

5 mins research would of saved all that trouble :wink: :lol: :lol:
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby highroof » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Did that, same as I did with the one on the other van when I changed that, didn't make any difference in this instance..........the old van started immediately, this one didn't fancy it.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect