*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help the Aged

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Help the Aged

Postby Colin.ah » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:42 am

Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself and tell you what brings me to this forum.

My name is Colin and a couple of years ago myself and three friends set up a small charity to help disadvantaged work age kids and people with a physical disability find work. We do that by finding employers willing to give them a work trial, to let the employer see that they are willing to work and can do the job, and then hopefully the company take them on at the end of the trial.
We go to the work trial with the people to supervise and train them in workshop practises etc.
Anyway to cut a long story short and before everyone thinks I am about to touch them up for cash, we have had a serious need for a van for a while and decided to bite the bullet and buy one.
Not having a lot of cash, none in fact, we bid on a 2003, 135000 mile Connect in a salvage yard auction and won it with the giant bid of £390, yahoo.
She is a bit of a clunker, a bit rusty and looks like she has been unloved for many years but she is ours. There are things that are obviously wrong with her and there will be other things wrong that will come to light when we try to MOT her next week.
I have read the “what did you do today” thread and there are some very connected people on here so my request is not for cash but your genius knowledge.

So here goes
1) We don’t want the van to win shows but we do need it to be presentable both inside and out, so remembering we have no money and that the van will be used for transporting us and our tools around, is there anything that we should do that will benefit the van, and us, without costing the earth?

2) The dashboard has more holes in it than a colander, I think there has been a phone, a two way radio and some switches of unknown purpose. What are the options, i.e. any dash up to 2009? We are hoping to persuade the salvage yard to give us one but they don’t have another 2003 in their yard but they do have a 2006 one which the bumper came off of.

3) The front bumper is broken, there is a big crack on the nearside, and needs replaced. We persuaded the salvage yard to give us another bumper but it is from a newer face lift model.
Is the newer bumper a straight swap for the old one or should we sell the new one and buy an older one?

4) The rear bumper cover is missing and the bumper itself is in a bad way, can we just replace it all with a kit off ebay (TPUK) for £50 odd pound or is there something else we need to do?

I think that will be enough for one night, just leaves me to say that any help and words of wisdom will be most appreciated but that the four of us are getting on, I’m the youngest at 56, so if you could keep the text speak to a minimum as we don’t understand it, we would be grateful. :D

[img]FORD%20TRANSIT%20CONNECT%20T200[/img]
Myself and three others run a charity to help long term unemployed teenagers and disabled adults in to work. We are restoring our Connect to carry kids and our tools from workplace to workplace.
Colin.ah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Help the Aged

Postby Graham Taylor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. On here I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information regarding Connects and if we cant solve the problem we may be able to point you in the right direction to getting it solved.

Firstly your model is a mk1 Connect and the change over to mk2 happened during 2006. Obvious tell tale is the Ford badge on the bonnet is a mk1 and badge on the grill covering the bonnet lock is a mk2.

Mk1 or Mk2 dash will fit but if you get a mk2 make sure you get the centre (radio/heater) surround as they are different.

Front bumpers between mk1 and mk2 are straight fit but for the mk2 you will also need the front arches.

Rear bumpers always rust so buying new is a better option and dont forget the corner bits. Patten parts are never the greatest of fits and not always the cheaper option so worth comparing with genuine Ford parts before buying. Many members have used TPUK and dont recall any issues.

When buying arches or bumper corners you will/may need clips and these can be stupid prices from Fords so worth scouring ebay for any used ones on there. :wink: Also worth checking the "For Sale/Wanted" section on here when looking for parts and maybe list anything you may need as someone may have one laying around :-)
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Colin.ah » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 am

Hi Graham, thank you very much for answering my noob questions, your help is most appreciated.

We have it booked in for an MOT next week, just so we can see what it needs, with no expectation of it passing but I think we might have another 100 questions for the forum :D

Thanks again
Myself and three others run a charity to help long term unemployed teenagers and disabled adults in to work. We are restoring our Connect to carry kids and our tools from workplace to workplace.
Colin.ah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transitpartsuk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi,

We did have an issue about 2 years ago with the colour of the end caps, however the bumper, cover and end caps fit fine and we have not had any issues since then.

Regards

James
Transitpartsuk
Registered Trader
Registered Trader

Postby Colin.ah » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks James, one of your kits is on our list of things we need.

You could as you are a UK business and us being a registered UK charity, give us some of the things we need free and then off set them 100% against your tax liability as a charitable donation? :D
Colin.ah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RustWidow » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Or perhaps the rest of us can club together and help pay?
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonochap » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Maybe it would be a good idea to set this up as a thread for the van, pictures and its progress, best of luck with the mot and welcome...and good luck :)
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Transitpartsuk » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Colin.ah wrote:Thanks James, one of your kits is on our list of things we need.

You could as you are a UK business and us being a registered UK charity, give us some of the things we need free and then off set them 100% against your tax liability as a charitable donation? :D

Will have to check on that! I know that we can get 100% tax deducatable?
Transitpartsuk
Registered Trader
Registered Trader

Postby Graham Taylor » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:51 am

Transitpartsuk wrote:
Colin.ah wrote:Thanks James, one of your kits is on our list of things we need.

Will have to check on that! I know that we can get 100% tax deducatable?

Good for you TPUK! :-)
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Colin.ah » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 am

RustWidow wrote:Or perhaps the rest of us can club together and help pay?

Thank you Rustwidow for the thought and the sentiment but we really don't want to take money from forum members, we appreciate the technical help we will get and we don't want people thinking if they speak to us it will cost them money, like poor James. :D
We have bought most of the parts required already including a bumper kit and lots of brake parts from TPUK, ordered Friday and despatched this morning how’s that for service?

We discovered that the sills have rusted through, the friendly garage owner that we have, who will replace the sills for us and sort out the brakes (after we fit all of the components) can't come and collect the van for another two weeks so the MOT has had to be put on hold.
We have also discovered that the windscreen is cracked, (for discovered read, washed the van and when the muck was gone we found the cracked windscreen) so that is my task today, find another one. We have been offered a dashboard from a 2007 crashed police van but it has more holes in it than ours does at present so I'm going to ask if we can have the windscreen out of it instead.

The only other things left to get are, two new wings, a nearside mirror and a service kit for the engine, and may be a servo and brake master cylinder, and of course a dashboard but we can live without that.

On a brighter note the van does have a tow bar which we will be selling and a metal bulkhead that will have to go as it won’t let the driver’s seat go far enough back for me.

And lastly, for today, I did try to upload a picture of the van via dropbox but it never worked, if someone could tell me how they do it, I will post pictures before during and after the resurrection, build doesn't cover it. :D
Colin.ah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Colin.ah » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:20 am

Colin.ah wrote:The only other things left to get are, two new wings, a nearside mirror and a service kit for the engine, and may be a servo and brake master cylinder, and of course a dashboard but we can live without that.

Not forgetting, new tyres after the steel wheels have been sandblasted and repainted, a new wiper stalk and the van relined with ply. :D
Colin.ah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:28 am

Get the wheels powder coated Colin. I had mine blasted and painted thenm myself and they have started to rust after a couple of years. If I had the money I'd powder coat them.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby RustWidow » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:22 pm

I agree powder coating is the way to go, gl Colin with everything. We use the image hosting site photobucket to load images on here, I don't think Dropbox would work. If you use tapatalk on a mobile device it will load it up from within there. Hope that helps
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Colin.ah » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:06 am

I managed to track down a new windscreen yesterday:

Secondhand from salvage yard £55 +VAT and fitting
New from Autoglass £371.16 +VAT but including fitting or £123 +VAT fitting only, making the salvage one £178 +VAT
New from National Windscreen £95 +VAT

When I asked the woman from National Windscreen why she was so cheap she replied “we are not cheap, Autoglass are just so dammed expensive”.

I think we will get it from National Windscreen. :D
Colin.ah
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Help the Aged

Postby jonochap » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:49 pm

The salvage yard could have been a good investment for the future too, maybe they know a fitter? ;)
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Transit Connect