*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My van and its timing belt!

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

My van and its timing belt!

Postby SWtechnologies » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi all,

Lets start at the beginning!

On a trip a few weeks ago in the van it decided to start to stutter on the Motorway so luckily i was just coming up to a service station so a swift exit was made.
looking under the bonnet to my horror i could see the timing belt trying to escape through the plastic cover! (let me point out the van ran with only a stutter in to the services) The AA came to the rescue and towed Me home.

I know a local garage so asked them to look at the van (even tho I'm a mechanic i don't have time with working away just now) .At first glance it looked as if the diesel pump was at fault with the gear being rely loose on the end of the pump.(at this point i contacted dieselbvoy and a new pump price was quoted in speedy time) the garage started to strip the revenant parts of the engine down to remove the pump, when removing the gear on the diesel pump the nut in the centre was found to be loose just holding on by the skin of its teeth! the garage phoned me to say that this was the problem and it would be sorted pretty sharpish. with the nut tight and all sorted a new cam belt kit was fitted and the van started and ran.

This is where the problem arises again!

After the van is ticking over for around 5 minutes the belt seems to be creeping back of the pump gear they tell me you can see it creeping off! so something is still wrong somewhere.

Side note the Timing belt/water pump was changed by my self at 97000miles with a continental belt kit and the van now has around 107700miles on it.

Is there anyone heard of this happening before?

Any ideas on what could be causing this to happen again?

Could the pump bearing be Knackered and we just can't see it as its inside?

Is it maybe the bottom Timing Chain?

if it has came loose on the shaft and been run for a while has this caused the shaft on the diesel pump to become worn and now the gear won't sit square on the shaft?

Any help would be much appreciated from any one!

also big thanks to dieselboy for the speedy quote on the pump.(still might need it)

Tye
SW technologies
SWtechnologies
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: My van and its timing belt!

Postby gt_addict » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:23 pm

We're the idler pulley and tensioner changed when the belt was done? Maybe a dodgy bearing in one of those, although perhaps you would hear something if it was bearing related :?
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Re: My van and its timing belt!

Postby SWtechnologies » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Yes the tensioner was changed when I did it and a new one again just there!
SW technologies
SWtechnologies
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect