*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Remove aux belt tensioner. Any tips?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Remove aux belt tensioner. Any tips?

Postby Connect tdci » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:55 pm

My connect was making squeaking noise from the front end so decided to change all belts and tensioners. Today I have managed to change the cam belt and tensioner. Tomorrow it's the turn of the aux belt. The aux belt tensioner has the power steering pump bolted to it so it looks like it might be a bit tricky. Any tips? Do I have to disconnect the power steering or can i just unbolt the pump and slide it out of the way?

Cheers
Connect tdci

Re: Remove aux belt tensioner. Any tips?

Postby VandanDave » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:56 am

Hi
I replaced the aux belt tensioner on my tddi (enduraDi) From what I can remember, I never disconnected anything totally.
(apart from the intercooler pipe) I undid the expansion tank, fuel filter and power-steering bottle from their mounts and moved them aside. Once the power-steering pump is undone it can be moved aside enough without disconnecting any pipework.
The tensioner is then held on with 15mm nuts. I managed to undo these with just a 15mm spanner, but would seriously recommend getting a deep socket or box spanner, this will take a lot of effing & jeffing out of the job.
You could try starting the engine without the aux belt on. if you can still hear the squeaking noise, then you can eliminate everything driven by it.
You may of done the job by now, If so, did you cure the squeak and would the above been of any use. It may help other people who read the thread.
Cheers
Dave
VandanDave

Re: Remove aux belt tensioner. Any tips?

Postby karl » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:44 pm

5 minute job just need an extra pair of hand s only to make sure it doesnt come of the pulleys at the top, the way i do it is put it round all the pullies apart from crank then untension flip it on the crank pulley i bought a set for doing these and many others of ebay :D so you can many

this and a great bit of kit :D

3/8 and 1/2 inch squres plus the crow spanners for the boltheads
:arrow:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-SERPEN ... 20f1df23a5
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Return to Transit Connect