*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

speedometer , clock & dash instruments not working

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

speedometer , clock & dash instruments not working

Postby cbren » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Ford transit Connect swb . Year 06.Diesel.
This was fixed by the way , so I am not looking for anyone to answer. I just thought I should put this up , in case anyone else is having the same problem.
The dashboard light did not light up , the lcd clock also did not light up and the rev counter , fuel guage and speedometer were not working.
The fuses were all ok , the ground wire was sound.

Solution to problem that worked for me anyway.
Remove the panel with the instruments and speedometer etc. once removed ( unclipped from two plastic edge connectors ) I applied a hairdryer to it at a medium heat for about 10 minutes. I did not want to buckle or warp the plastic or casue a build up of static from the heat. When I replaced the unit and turned the key it returned back to normal.

Removing the panel , is a little awkward as there are 4 screws to be removed and the steerting wheel can be a bit in the way.
Once the screws are removed , you can gently prise the unit from the surrounding dash moulding.
You will notice two cables with a connector on each going into the back of the panel . If you press a notch at the top of the plastic connector you can pull back a lever gently to disconnect the cables from the back of the panel.
Once you have this done and the unit is free , take it indoors unclasp the plastic back to expose the printed circuit board and apply a hairdrier on medium heat for about ten minutes without staying too long on any one area. When instrument panel is dry and warm put the back of it back on and connect the cables that you levered off earlier and retry , and if it works then put the whole lot back again if not maybe try a bit more drying and try again.
Anyway I hope this helps someone out there .
Cormacbrenock@gmail.com
cbren

Re: speedometer , clock & dash instruments not working

Postby Graham Taylor » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:39 am

So damp or moisure got into the back of your cluster? how did your learn of this fix?
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect