*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Best Tyre for LWB Hi-Roof

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Best Tyre for LWB Hi-Roof

Postby Evan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi Guy's

I'm getting close to the time when I need to replace all 4 tyres, next few weeks I would think.
I currently run Avon ZT5's but find the grip in the wet isn't that great. Just wondered what you guys's are running and would recommend. Im after a good all round performing tyre that will give me good value for money and ideally not to much rolling noise.
My Van is the LWB Hi-Roof 230 with a medium amount of weight in the back.
Tyre size is 195/65/15
I have found 4 Continental Vanco 200's for £278 fitted. Not sure what they are like though.
2004, 53 reg, 1.8l 90ps LWB Hi-Top Connect. Blanked EGR, Focus Airbox & Snorkel, Silicone Hoses, Clear side repeaters, MK7 Fiesta Wheel Trims
Evan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Best Tyre for LWB Hi-Roof

Postby highroof » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:59 pm

The Michelin energy savers on mine are excellent in the wet.......even when they're nearly worn out, there's more grip in the wet than the new Hankooks on my old van. They're cheap if you get them from Mytyres.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby g-man » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:47 pm

so long as they're weight rated it don't matter.....yours will be 95
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby highroof » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:43 am

g-man wrote:so long as they're weight rated it don't matter.....yours will be 95

Well, if you're bothered about being able to drive quickly in the wet, I'd dispute that, there's no way a Hankook shod van would grip the way the Michelins do. 95T is recommended on a T230 LWB, but not a legal requirement. Any MOT tester will confirm this, because it's only a class 4 vehicle, and therefore not subject to the same degree of inspection as class 5 and above with regard to tyre ratings. As I found out to my cost, late last year! You can, for example, fit 91T rated tyres, and still be legal, providing the van isn't loaded beyond the weight permitted for that particular tyre.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby g-man » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:49 pm

fit what u like pal for me....i could'nt give a toss :wink:
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:08 pm

highroof wrote:
g-man wrote:so long as they're weight rated it don't matter.....yours will be 95

Well, if you're bothered about being able to drive quickly in the wet, I'd dispute that, there's no way a Hankook shod van would grip the way the Michelins do. 95T is recommended on a T230 LWB, but not a legal requirement. Any MOT tester will confirm this, because it's only a class 4 vehicle, and therefore not subject to the same degree of inspection as class 5 and above with regard to tyre ratings. As I found out to my cost, late last year! You can, for example, fit 91T rated tyres, and still be legal, providing the van isn't loaded beyond the weight permitted for that particular tyre.

Tyres must meet or exceed maximum axle weights. You can't base it on actual weight of van.
Good luck arguing with your insurer in the event of a claim.

Oh and I've ran Hancooks for years, with no grip problems in the wet.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby highroof » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:04 pm

g-man wrote:fit what u like pal for me....i could'nt give a toss :wink:

Lol. Fair enough.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:19 pm

ake wrote:
highroof wrote:

Tyres must meet or exceed maximum axle weights. You can't base it on actual weight of van.
Good luck arguing with your insurer in the event of a claim.

Oh and I've ran Hancooks for years, with no grip problems in the wet.

Had cause to speak to my insurer about this very subject, the post in which I commented on it not mattering about load ratings still stands, as far as they were concerned. In their view, if it passed the MOT with them on, it's legal. Any MOT tester will tell you the same. I've had mine MOT'd many times with 91T rated tyres fitted, and asked the question, and been shown the relevant paperwork. If you carry light loads that don't exceed the rating of the tyre, it doesn't matter. However, as I also said, if you load the van beyond the rating of the tyre, you leave yourself open to legal issues, for instance, if stopped by a VOSA roadside check, and they take you off to a weigh bridge. The load might not exceed the capacity of the van, but if it exceeds the load capacity for the tyre, they'll still have you.

I posted up about this when I had a run-in with the main dealer selling me my current van. I argued at the time the van shouldn't have been given a new MOT on 91T rated tyres, only to subsequently be proven wrong.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Hankooks, nothing wrong with them, but they don't grip like Michelins. But I drive it like a getaway car, so maybe I just notice it more. :mrgreen:
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mrtn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:38 am

On my second set of Kleber Dynaxer HP3. Excellent combination of price, handling and durability. I ran the previous set bald.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby kaibart » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi I have recently changed 2 front tyres on my van, I bought michilen Effeictive Grip as i've had 3 lwb hi roof connects and they definatly last very well and handle good too had Kelber tyre fitted by main dealer before I bought the van what a load of crap didnt last well at all, hope this helps
kaibart
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Evan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:07 pm

I went with the Michelin energy savers in the end, fresh rubber all round and just in time for the snow :).
Although suffering the luck that I do my gearbox finally gave up this week so it's off to the garage on Thursday to have a recon box stuck in along with a new LUK clutch kit and master cylinder and 2 new driveshafts. I swear the only original part on this van that left the factory is the bodywork.... dam thing but she should be lovely to drive when i get her back.
2004, 53 reg, 1.8l 90ps LWB Hi-Top Connect. Blanked EGR, Focus Airbox & Snorkel, Silicone Hoses, Clear side repeaters, MK7 Fiesta Wheel Trims
Evan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mrtn » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:59 am

kaibart wrote:Hi I have recently changed 2 front tyres on my van, I bought michilen Effeictive Grip as i've had 3 lwb hi roof connects and they definatly last very well and handle good too had Kelber tyre fitted by main dealer before I bought the van what a load of crap didnt last well at all, hope this helps

Why did you change the fronts? Having excessive tyre wear issues?
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Graham Taylor » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:31 am

Most dont really notice the tyres road holding capabilities unless in extreme conditions but do notice tyre wear and that often is the major factor. Pay £160 for one tyre that will do 40k or £80 for one that will only do £25k. If you frequently drive on roads prone to flooding or are based in the highlands then that could be a different matter.

Regarding the weight limits of tyres then that is your choice. Some only use vans as cars so 91w XL should be ok but those who use for work and regularly carry weight I would suggest the higher 95w anyway just for added peace of mind.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Punto443 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:37 am

I thought all the corgi vans had solid plastic wheels?

Id buy correctly rated tyres, as what an ins company will tell you over the phone and what happens in the event of a claim can be very different :D
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Graham Taylor » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:32 pm

Punto443 wrote:I thought all the corgi vans had solid plastic wheels

Cant beat a bit of jock humour :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graham Taylor