*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Diesel leak around injector

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Diesel leak around injector

Postby highroof » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:29 pm

I've been able to smell diesel for the last few days when driving the van, but not seen a reason until today. There's a leak from around where the fuel supply pipe goes into a small black block ( which is held on by what looks like an R clip ), on the left hand side of the injector. I'm assuming this is either, if I'm lucky, the seal on this block leaking, or worst case, replace the rail completely, as it's all one piece. Hard to see exactly at the minute, but it looks like the leak is just above this small black block, meaning probably the line into it is split. The line's protected by a braided cover, but there are no joins in the pipe beneath anywhere.

Is this a common thing? The leak seems small, should I still be driving it? This is on a 2009 110.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Diesel leak around injector

Postby paul2012 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Mostly likely to be a perished O ring :wink:

New ones available here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk ... 3a9e1998b6
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby highroof » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Cheers, as in the one on the black block? I'm on good terms with the dealer, been in this morning and got every part that's likely to be the problem, on the understanding they'll have back what I don't use, so all the bits are here, including those seals, injector seals, and the pipework, etc. Just needed a heads up on what's likely, if it's only a seal, that would be nice!
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby paul2012 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:57 pm

highroof wrote:Cheers, as in the one on the black block? I'm on good terms with the dealer, been in this morning and got every part that's likely to be the problem, on the understanding they'll have back what I don't use, so all the bits are here, including those seals, injector seals, and the pipework, etc. Just needed a heads up on what's likely, if it's only a seal, that would be nice!

Yes unclip fuel return from injector & pull free (black block) there you will see O ring on it's end. :wink:

2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby highroof » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Great, just what I needed. I'll have a poke at that this after, and see how it goes.......all I need to do now is not have the clip disappear into the middle distance when I take it off! Thanks for your replies.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Hopefully this will solve my focus pipe leak , a lot cheaper than the complete set of pipes
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby highroof » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Hmmm, I think it's higher up than the o ring, it's damp with diesel where the pipe joins the small block, and that probably means a hairline crack. The whole of the outside of the injector is damp with diesel, so it must be either running down from above, or getting sprayed with a mist of it when the van's being driven. I'll probably end up pulling the whole lot out and replacing all pipes and seals for the pipework. Not great on a 33k miles van! £100 worth of bits and an hour of my time!
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby teldec » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:00 pm

mine did this about 2 months ago mate and it was just the o ring on the first injector.
the pipe showing above is about 80-00 quid
teldec
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:03 pm

teldec wrote:mine did this about 2 months ago mate and it was just the o ring on the first injector.
the pipe showing above is about 80-00 quid

£77
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby nardi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:43 pm

highroof wrote:Cheers, as in the one on the black block? I'm on good terms with the dealer, been in this morning and got every part that's likely to be the problem, on the understanding they'll have back what I don't use, so all the bits are here, including those seals, injector seals, and the pipework, etc. Just needed a heads up on what's likely, if it's only a seal, that would be nice!

The dealer sell this as a kit and I don't think they will take back the parts that you don't use.
But you will still need the rest for the future .
Best thing is to by a set of clips as they are easy to loose.
Good luck.
nardi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby highroof » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:16 pm

Be nice if it's just one seal, but the whole area around and including the injector was wet when I looked earlier.......when I pulled the braided cover back, it was greasy under there for a couple of inches, so it looks like a split in the pipe. I got all the seals separately, as well as the kit with them all attached, just in case I was able to get away with it being an o ring, but I'm going to fit the whole thing after what I've seen.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:25 pm

what no injector ?
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby highroof » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:16 am

blue estate wrote:what no injector ?

I think it's from the leak back pipe area, possibly an o ring, more likely a split in the pipe itself. It seems a bit high up to be an injector seal.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby teldec » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:33 am

honestly mate mine looked the same as that, thought it was a split leak back pipe but it was just one o ring and a new spring clip on the first injector
teldec
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 am

teldec wrote:honestly mate mine looked the same as that, thought it was a split leak back pipe but it was just one o ring and a new spring clip on the first injector

number 1 ? that's where my focus is leaking
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Next

Return to Transit Connect