*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Dreaded charging fault

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Dreaded charging fault

Postby placeborick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 am

Having reached my wits end I have joined the forum with hope of shedding some light on my charging problem.

A few weeks back the battery light on the dash reared its head on the way home one evening, lights dimming and heater slowing.

First thought, alternator.

Next day i whipped this off and had it tested at a local refurb center who stated it was in good working order. I replaced it and fitted a fresh belt while I was down there.

The problem still remained and a bit of Googling brought up the smart charge cable problem.

It looked tatty so I nipped to Ford and got a fresh one and also replaced the battery for the Silver Calcium type since I noticed this was running an incorrect lead-acid.

5 mins later the battery light is back on.

I have cleaned all connections and run diagnostics bringing up codes p0622 p1632 indicating alternator/smart charge problems... no sh*t Sherlock.

Running out of ideas and open to suggestions from the more experienced members :-)
placeborick

Re: Dreaded charging fault

Postby gt_addict » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Did you clear the codes after fitting the new bits? If it's not the smart charge loom and there's a new battery then it's got to be the alternator or the connections on the loom.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby placeborick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:25 pm

wire brushed and cleaned every connection i could get to including earths.

A friend has said there is a device available to bypass the smart charge system that you can fit but cannot find any info on such a thing?
placeborick

Postby liteace » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:44 pm

100% sure your alternators is knackered , you cant just throw these smart charge alternators on a test bench without ECU control and test them, the problem looks like its smart charge control thats not working and that is controlled by the engine ECU
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby placeborick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:50 pm

He wired it up to a device that changed the output and kicked out all the figures it was supposed to, but I am no expert :-)
placeborick

Postby liteace » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Put a new original (no aftermarket crap or re-con) or good known used on and for problem solved 100%
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby tez » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:21 am

liteace wrote:Put a new original (no aftermarket crap or re-con) or good known used on and for problem solved 100%

same here with my new ford smart charge and new battery new ford alternator but charging still all work was done sunday after I put new front end on van as I hit a deer
tez
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bortaf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:33 pm

I've had issues with the alt overchraging cos of the loom issue (broken sence wire under the battery tray) and frying the ECU alt control, we ended up fitting a regular alt but then had to fit a relay to the ign lamp to stop the alt draining the battery, twas a few years ago so i forget the details but we deffo fitted a normal alt and then a relay a few days later after it came back with a constantly flatend battery in the morning, still service it 3 or 4 years later and no more issues (touches wood, strokes rabbit foot ect) :lol:
I do a few connects and have never had an issue with recon/exchange units, i would however ad the caveat not to use the cheapest replacemnt option :wink: mid to top of the price list if it's your vehical, my local spares supplier allways offers me at least 3 options, i did used to get the origional units rebuilt but the refurber died and no-one seems to want to do starter/alt refurbs near me anymore :(
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby tez » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:38 am

bortaf wrote:I've had issues with the alt overchraging cos of the loom issue (broken sence wire under the battery tray) and frying the ECU alt control, we ended up fitting a regular alt but then had to fit a relay to the ign lamp to stop the alt draining the battery, twas a few years ago so i forget the details but we deffo fitted a normal alt and then a relay a few days later after it came back with a constantly flatend battery in the morning, still service it 3 or 4 years later and no more issues (touches wood, strokes rabbit foot ect) :lol:
I do a few connects and have never had an issue with recon/exchange units, i would however ad the caveat not to use the cheapest replacemnt option :wink: mid to top of the price list if it's your vehical, my local spares supplier allways offers me at least 3 options, i did used to get the origional units rebuilt but the refurber died and no-one seems to want to do starter/alt refurbs near me anymore :(

where do u live m8 ?
tez
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bortaf » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:36 am

tez wrote:
bortaf wrote:I've had issues with the alt overchraging cos of the loom issue (broken sence wire under the battery tray) and frying the ECU alt control, we ended up fitting a regular alt but then had to fit a relay to the ign lamp to stop the alt draining the battery, twas a few years ago so i forget the details but we deffo fitted a normal alt and then a relay a few days later after it came back with a constantly flatend battery in the morning, still service it 3 or 4 years later and no more issues (touches wood, strokes rabbit foot ect) :lol:

where do u live m8 ?

London :)
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect