*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cold Start Problems

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Cold Start Problems

Postby Dalb7 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi, I have a 53 plate Connect that's done 150,000 miles.
When I try to start it from cold it takes two or three (sometimes four or five) attempts to start.
Once it's started it runs perfectly and after 30 seconds of running I can turn it off and it will start on the button like there is nothing wrong. Today, I changed the glow plugs and this hasn't solved the problem.
I am wondering if anyone had the same problem and how you overcame it or if anyone has any advice.

Many Thanks
Dalb7

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby g-man » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:06 pm

checked the battery?
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gt_addict » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 pm

Battery would be first port of call for me too. Get a multimeter on it while someone cranks over the engine and see what the voktage drops too.

You have replaced the Glowplugs, have you checked the red loom for any burnt out bits (common problem) if so then replace it patch it. Also it's worth changing the relay in the engine fuse box for the sake of £7 from fords.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Spike2450 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:33 pm

On the mk6 transit that is a classic sign of the timing chain tensioner failing which throws the timing out, as it takes a few turns before the oil pressure is up and then starts as normal after.

I'm new to the connect so don't know if it has the same with the timing belt, hope not as had a nightmare and even produced a video to prove to Ford their failings.
95 plate 110 Transit connect lwb 87,000 miles
Spike2450
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect