*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Softer rear suspension?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Softer rear suspension?

Postby jansu83 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Is there any possibility to make the rear suspension softer? My Connect is 2005 LWB Tourneo and I mainly use my van as a passanger car with my three children and two dogs. The rear suspension seems to be too "hard" for this load and I would like to make it a little softer. Are there different type of shock absorbers or rear leaf springs available for Connect?
Tourneo Connect 2005 TDCi 90hp
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Softer rear suspension?

Postby gt_addict » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:23 pm

Don't think there is to be honest. You could get different springs made but that's probably going to cost quite a lot. I find my can feels softer with weight in the back over the rear axle or very back of the van. But doing that in yours would reduce your fuel economy.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby liteace » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Yes loads:

Have you had the van from new, ever had rear shocks fitted, make sure they're not HD gas as some of them can make the suspension hard or they may be seized ?
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jansu83 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:46 pm

liteace wrote:
Have you had the van from new, ever had rear shocks fitted, make sure they're not HD gas as some of them can make the suspension hard or they may be seized ?

I'm been driving this van only two months now, and tre rear is very stiff and as I look the back of the van seems to be too high, plenty of room between rear tyre and rear arch. There's also adjustment for the driving lights in the cab, but I can't get them up enough, so I believe there are wrong rear shock absorbers fitted that make the suspension high and hard. Rear springs are so rusty that I believe they are original. Any recommondations for "soft" absorbers?
Tourneo Connect 2005 TDCi 90hp
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby liteace » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Do the shocks look new, if so any I.D markings on them as to what they are, if old remove them and make sure they're not seized
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Connect