*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hot wire to glow plug

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Hot wire to glow plug

Postby cambium » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:42 pm

Hot wire going to glow plug nearest to battery has melted the plastic holder through any ideas guys or anyone had same problem. ......should this be a recall job ......its on a 2010 trend :|
cambium
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Hot wire to glow plug

Postby blue estate » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:48 pm

One of the glowplugs is faulty don't replace wire till fixed as it's a fuse link
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Spike2450 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:53 pm

Had exactly the same thing and is a common issue, if it's under warranty then take it in. It can be caused by high resistance on one of the glow plugs ! I tried disconnecting the first glow plug to measure the resistance and snapped the top off the glow plug wtf, so couldn't be arsed with that, so as the circuit is protected by a fuse all i did was to lose the plastic connector which i believe was causing the poor connection, i cut the connector off, stripped the cable and crimped a connector on it and joined both cables with a nut and bolt, insulation tape and cable tied it back. Been fine for a month.
95 plate 110 Transit connect lwb 87,000 miles
Spike2450
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gt_addict » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:38 pm

Cheap enough to replace all the plugs, wire and relay (fords guy said it was the relays fault apparently).
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby cambium » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:47 pm

blue estate wrote:One of the glowplugs is faulty don't replace wire till fixed as it's a fuse link

Checked all glow plugs with multimeter all showing same voltage as battery, checked resistance of plug loom from bolt connector to last glowplug zero resistance, glowplug relay clicks when ignition key turned..........wire still getting hot at bolt joint ????
cambium
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Did you pull each pkug out individually and check the resistance. You can't do it while they are in the engine.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby cambium » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:42 pm

gt_addict wrote:Did you pull each pkug out individually and check the resistance. You can't do it while they are in the engine.

Trying to avoid pulling plugs in case I snap one not done it before thought using multimeter positive to positive on battery and touching each plug with negative black multimeter lead reading for each plug was the same voltage as battery voltage......thought that meant plugs were ok ?
cambium
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:06 pm

Ideally you want to check resistance and you can only do that when they are out. My plugs on my 2004 tdci came out easy. Slight pressure on the ratchet and they popped undone.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby doebag » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Make sure you remove the plugs when the engine is properly hot.
doebag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby El transito » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:41 pm

cambium wrote:
blue estate wrote:One of the glowplugs is faulty don't replace wire till fixed as it's a fuse link

Checked all glow plugs with multimeter all showing same voltage as battery, checked resistance of plug loom from bolt connector to last glowplug zero resistance, glowplug relay clicks when ignition key turned..........wire still getting hot at bolt joint ????

You don't need to remove the glow plugs to test them but you do need to remove the red cable to test them individually. If you have "Open Circuit" (Zero Ohms resistance) when you tested with all 4 glow plugs connected to each other, but not to feed wire then all 4 plugs are faulty. The correct resistance I believe is about .68 on the 200 ohm scale.
To test individually remove one of the nuts retaining the red cable (NO 1 is the easiest to remove so start here) clip the black test lead to ground (An injector pipe) and the red test lead to the thread of the glow plug (Cable now removed). Open circuit = faulty glow plug, any resistance means its working but he lower it is, the less "Glow" it has. Hope it helps
El transito
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cambium » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:03 pm

El transito wrote:
cambium wrote:

You don't need to remove the glow plugs to test them but you do need to remove the red cable to test them individually. If you have "Open Circuit" (Zero Ohms resistance) when you tested with all 4 glow plugs connected to each other, but not to feed wire then all 4 plugs are faulty. The correct resistance I believe is about .68 on the 200 ohm scale.
To test individually remove one of the nuts retaining the red cable (NO 1 is the easiest to remove so start here) clip the black test lead to ground (An injector pipe) and the red test lead to the thread of the glow plug (Cable now removed). Open circuit = faulty glow plug, any resistance means its working but he lower it is, the less "Glow" it has. Hope it helps

Yep I removed red plug cable then tested each plug ......checked battery voltage first as a ref and each plug was same voltage as battery
cambium
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby El transito » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:39 pm

The voltage at the plug will be zero with the cable removed as its the cable that brings the battery voltage, do you mean the resistance was zero? If so the plug is faulty.
El transito
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cambium » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:47 pm

El transito wrote:The voltage at the plug will be zero with the cable removed as its the cable that brings the battery voltage, do you mean the resistance was zero? If so the plug is faulty.

This is how I did it
https://youtu.be/4TcuJDd9Hho
cambium
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect