*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

France breakdown cambelt pulley

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

France breakdown cambelt pulley

Postby yidboy69 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:33 am

Hi
Broke down in France yesterday in my 2009 T200 110. When the pick up came the mechanic immediately said it was a cam belt problem. When it got to the garage they removed the cover and sure enough the belt would not turn despite being reasonably new. In pigeon English he said it was the pulley/s and not the belt. Oes this sound right? Would they dudfenly just go or slip with no previous indication? The van is still in France ready to be repatriated? Any ideas please?
yidboy69
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: France breakdown cambelt pulley

Postby phil drew » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:45 am

put some vinegar on it pet
phil drew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gt_addict » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 am

What pulley is he talking about? Can shaft pulley? Tensioner pulley? Idler pulley?
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby karl » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:51 am

yidboy69 wrote:Hi
Broke down in France yesterday in my 2009 T200 110. When the pick up came the mechanic immediately said it was a cam belt problem. When it got to the garage they removed the cover and sure enough the belt would not turn despite being reasonably new. In pigeon English he said it was the pulley/s and not the belt. Oes this sound right? Would they dudfenly just go or slip with no previous indication? The van is still in France ready to be repatriated? Any ideas please?

so this has been changed :?:
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby El transito » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:07 pm

yidboy69 wrote:Hi

No it does not sound right, you can never turn the Camshaft (or hence the belt) on a Connect if the belt is on, the belt is driven by a toothed Sprocket on the front of the Fuel pump which is in turn is driven by a chain from the Crankshaft. To turn the belt you can see (Cam Belt)you need to turn the engine from the crankshaft pulley.
If the pulley he is suggesting is seized the only symptom would be a screeching belt, are you sure he's not saying the Engine is seized?? Sorry, Don't speak French or I would call for you :)
El transito
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yidboy69 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 am

I saw the cover removed and the belt did not move when turned over. All you could here was a whurring electronic noise not a turn ove and not firing sound. The belt was intact and a year old. Could terminal damage have happened? The van is waiting to be repatriated so my mechanic here can look at it.
yidboy69
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Let's get this straight, you saw the belt and heard an electronic whirring but NOTHING was spinning round?

Have they tried to turn the engine manually via the crankshaft pulley? Does it actually move? If not the engine is knackered most likely due to it being out of time.

If it does move then I'd be looking at starter motor and buts connected to that e.g. Flywheel and whether it's lost teeth for some reason.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby yidboy69 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:47 pm

I have no experience of the engine but on arrival the mechanic slapped the black cover at the top of the engine. When he removed it at the garage the rubber belt just stayed still on turning the key. He then produced another belt showing us the teethon the belt. He put his arms apart and seemed to be trying to tell us the pulley/s had no teeth to turn the belt. He didn't manually turn it but told the French speaking breakdown girl it would cost 500-700 euros to fix but that may only reveal further damage which could lead to costs of 2500 euros!! I told them i wouldn't pay a penny and to get the thing home. Still waiting to hear an ETA.
yidboy69
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yidboy69 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:50 pm

P.s Clutch is two months old.
yidboy69
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:20 pm

It could be the belt has lost its teeth, but the tensioner and idler pulleys don't have notches for the teeth to locate into so it points to something major happening in my eyes.

Personally I'd just get it trailered back to the UK and go from there. The language barrier is obviously too great.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby liteace » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 pm

idler pulley ? its not got idler pulley on the cam \ timing belt

So when he turns key engine spins over but camshaft (top) pulley doesnt turn, Its very strange for it to strip ALL teeth on pump pulley, is it wet in there with oil?

It may have stripped the teeth off the belt or as its 09 its got 2 belts one from crank to pump, that is a wet belt and there's a poss chance thats stripped its teeth, thats why the bottom end is turning and the top end is not

Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby teldec » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:46 pm

sounds like the wet belt has gone.
teldec
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado