*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Inner and outer sills rotten

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Inner and outer sills rotten

Postby cliffhanger » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi

I have a 2004 Connect TDCi that is going to fail its MOT due to rotten inner and outer sills.

The garage are quoting me around 500.00 to replace both, or certainly the complete outer. Is this competitive? Should i get a second opinion prior to MOT? They seem amazed I would be willing to spend this amount to save the van.

Mind you, rear brake pipes also need replacing, so probably talking 750+ to save it. I will get another van, but not now. They tell me the rest of the van is okay at present and would give me another 2 years maybe if repaired.

thanks

Cliff
cliffhanger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Inner and outer sills rotten

Postby lightning » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:31 pm

I did not realise the sills could rot out on Connects, l thought modern cars were galvanized/rustproofed and holed bodywork was a thing of the past.
Although my 2008 Connect had surface rust on the sills after six years. Are vans not as well protected by the manufacturer?
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mrtn » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:38 pm

Caught flood at some point of time? Crashed the sills on a kerb?
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cliffhanger » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:09 am

lightning wrote:I did not realise the sills could rot out on Connects, l thought modern cars were galvanized/rustproofed and holed bodywork was a thing of the past.
Although my 2008 Connect had surface rust on the sills after six years. Are vans not as well protected by the manufacturer?

Nope. Try Volkswagon, they may be.

Cliff
cliffhanger
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect