*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect - Fitting spare wheel carrier to van without one

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Connect - Fitting spare wheel carrier to van without one

Postby meicrodon » Fri May 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Hello folks,

I bought a nearly new 2014 tourneo grand connect last year and unfortunately it didn't come with the spare wheel option. I like to be self sufficient and not having a spare wheel is bugging me!

I was wondering if anyone on the forums has ever fitted the spare wheel carrier and spare wheel to a tourneo van that didn't come with it originally? From what I can tell the design of the carrier looks similar on the new model to the old model so input from experiences with the old model is welcome.

I asked the dealer for a price for doing it and here in Switzerland they estimated £700+ for the job (which is crazy considering the cost of the option when new is £120) so am looking at doing it myself.

Cheers
2014 Ford Tourneo Grand Connect 1.6TDCi
meicrodon

Re: Connect - Fitting spare wheel carrier to van without one

Postby j60asb » Fri May 15, 2015 5:06 pm

You did well getting a price from your dealer when I asked the parts department they said they were no parts that could be purchaced to cradle a spare wheel despite the vehicle looking like it was designed to take one! Still £700 sounds crazy, surely the parts cant be more than £150!
j60asb
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Connect - Fitting spare wheel carrier to van without one

Postby meicrodon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Thought I would do an update:

I had the one year service done last month and asked the German garage about getting a spare wheel added. They came up with a price of €557 for parts (see attached document for the parts needed - update cant attach for some reason) and then something around €1000 for fitting. Apparently the problem is that they would have to remove most of the body kit at the rear to install the wheel which would take a fair amount of time (they have never done it before so would be a learning process).

So for anyone else out there ordering a Tourneo make sure you get the spare wheel option - adding it after purchase is very pricey! I will have to wait till people start crashing their new cars and then maybe I can get the parts from a scrap and try it myself
2014 Ford Tourneo Grand Connect 1.6TDCi
meicrodon

Return to Transit Connect