*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Which way does the coolant flow?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Which way does the coolant flow?

Postby gt_addict » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just getting some info together before I get round to fitting an inline coolant heater. (3 glow plug type). I know some came fitted with one and it was mounted on the bulkhead, but that's not really accessible seeing as I'm doing the work on the driveway.

There is only three hoses from the resovoir, two small ones at the top about 15mm diameter and one out the bottom that feeds to the radiator that's about 25mm in diameter. Does the coolant flow out from the bottom hose? If so why does it flow straight through the radiator?

I'm basically trying to find the best location for it so I get some heat through the heaters and engine as quickly as possible to aid clearing the windscreen and warm the engine to save fuel in the winter.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh the connections on the heater I'm getting are approx 25-28mm so ideally a hose that big would be beneficial so I don't interrupt the flow too much by adding reducers.

Thanks.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Re: Which way does the coolant flow?

Postby mrtn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 pm

Coolant heater should be installed in the engine block or any designated place close to the engine block in the small coolant route. It has no use past thermostat housing as it remains closed until the coolant is hot. The top hose runs from thermostat to radiator usually.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby liteace » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Its best to put it in the heater hose, the larger hose in the base of the header tank is just a fill hose and the other 2 smaller ones are bleed hoses, you only get a very small volume of coolant flowing through + you dont want the heater trying to heat coolant thats flowing through the rad as the rad is there to cool it, if you stick it in the heater hose when the stat is closes and engine is running with nothing flowing through the rad it will heat up quicker
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paul2012 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:54 pm

Aux elec coolant heater is fitted to bulkhead as soon below (Inlet manifold removed for clearer pic)

Coolants flow from EGR Cooler to interior heater assembly.
Aux elec heater fits inline on pipe closest to turbo from EGR cooler - Left hand pipe when looking from above :wink:
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:44 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

So looks like the only place for it is where the standard one goes then. But still I know more about the coolant system now.

Cheers guys :)
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

So looks like the only place for it is where the standard one goes then. But still I know more about the coolant system now.

Cheers guys :)
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Ok so I've received the coolant heater but the instructions are in German. I asked if I could wire the glowplugs in series (as per the engine glowplugs, but he says they must be wired in parallel.

Is there any reason for this that anyone can tell me? Only trouble is its all running off one 6mm cable from the relay, so how can that wire be ok to run all three but I can't run them in series with 6mm cable between them?

for added info the heater unit has a single ground and I was planning to connect the glowplugs together with one connection in, then connect each glowplug to each other.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby paul2012 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:28 pm

gt_addict wrote:Ok so I've received the coolant heater but the instructions are in German. I asked if I could wire the glowplugs in series (as per the engine glowplugs, but he says they must be wired in parallel.

Is there any reason for this that anyone can tell me? Only trouble is its all running off one 6mm cable from the relay, so how can that wire be ok to run all three but I can't run them in series with 6mm cable between them?

for added info the heater unit has a single ground and I was planning to connect the glowplugs together with one connection in, then connect each glowplug to each other.

How Ford connect them is 1 on it's own & the other 2 connected together as shown below

2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:31 pm

That's because it's controlled by a built in circuit that adjusts it based on a temp sensor reading I assume? The instructions do have that wiring diagram but it's way too advanced for me. The basic standalone switch will be fine. Just need to clarify that it will be ok to "daisy chain" them like the ones in the engine block.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby paul2012 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:37 pm

gt_addict wrote:That's because it's controlled by a built in circuit that adjusts it based on a temp sensor reading I assume? The instructions do have that wiring diagram but it's way too advanced for me. The basic standalone switch will be fine. Just need to clarify that it will be ok to "daisy chain" them like the ones in the engine block.

If using suitable wiring through a heavy duty relay then it be fine :wink:
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:05 pm

It's a 70amp relay and it will be 6mm2 wire I'll be using. So hopefully it should be. The person I bought it from is trying to get the instructions translated according to the message I just received. Thanks for your help Paul.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby paul2012 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 pm

gt_addict wrote:It's a 70amp relay and it will be 6mm2 wire I'll be using. So hopefully it should be. The person I bought it from is trying to get the instructions translated according to the message I just received. Thanks for your help Paul.

No problem m8 8)
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gt_addict » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi again guys.

Just about to fit the coolant heater and confirming that the two hoses in the picture Paul posted are both coolant hoses? I can't fit it where the stock heater would be due to bends in the pipe but I can fit it to the one that comes off the oil cooler.

Reckon that would be ok? I assume it would still warm the engine even though is flows into the oil cooler?

Thanks.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Return to Transit Connect