*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cheap driveshafts any good?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Cheap driveshafts any good?

Postby jansu83 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:00 pm

For Finland (LHD) Longest shaft with bearing would be Passenger side & Short shaft drivers side :wink:

Yep, so when I order "off/side" I get the longer one which I need. Can you tell me what those "off/side" and "near/side" stand for?
Tourneo Connect 2005 TDCi 90hp
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gt_addict » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Near side is the side nearest the kerb/pavement (UK side of the road though), offside is the side furthest away from the kerb.

But your engine will be the same way as ours so when ordering from the UK it should be applicable.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby jansu83 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:31 pm

gt_addict wrote:Near side is the side nearest the kerb/pavement (UK side of the road though), offside is the side furthest away from the kerb.

But your engine will be the same way as ours so when ordering from the UK it should be applicable.

Yes it is always same engine and fitted same way, no matter which side the steering wheel is mounted. It must be like that, there would be no sense in making separate gearboxes and engines just to get the steering wheel to the other side :D And now I know what those terms mean. I have ordered many times parts from UK and kept in mind that drivers side is opposite as here in Finalnd. Your prices are many times half the price that we pay to our dealers. People in here order car parts from Germany (they have LHD cars) and UK (you have RHD cars) 'cause it is many times a lot cheaper.

Thank you everyone for the advice!
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jansu83 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Got the longer one from J&R and fitted it today. No more shaking when I accelerate. And have to say it was surprisingly good quality for that price! CV boots seems to be very good rubber and nothing bad to say about the rest either. Even the support bearing felt and looked good. And one good thing is that the inner joint is completely round from outside so I believe the boot will keep the grease inside well.

Thanks to you guys, I got the whole driveshaft for the price that my local dealer is selling only the support bearing :D Hope it last for a couple of years now.
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:22 am

jansu83 wrote:Got the longer one from J&R and fitted it today. No more shaking when I accelerate. And have to say it was surprisingly good quality for that price! CV boots seems to be very good rubber and nothing bad to say about the rest either. Even the support bearing felt and looked good. And one good thing is that the inner joint is completely round from outside so I believe the boot will keep the grease inside well.

Thanks to you guys, I got the whole driveshaft for the price that my local dealer is selling only the support bearing :D Hope it last for a couple of years now.

2 years warrenty :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby gt_addict » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:47 am

If it does fail then all they will say is to throw it away. That's what they did with my duff one. At £35 or whatever it was it isn't worth the hassle dealing with returning it.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby jansu83 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:20 pm

karl mcghee wrote:2 years warrenty :D

Yep, but I still hope that I don't have to replace it for a while :D
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jansu83 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:12 pm

Been driving for a month now with that J&R driveshaft and the shaking is back and even worse than it was with the old shaft. This summer I have tried three different long shafts and two shorter and have this issue with all of them. The two earlier were second hand driveshafts and now there are new shafts on both sides (shorter is GSP that was renewed two months ago when they did my clutch at carage and longer is this new J&R)

My van starts shaking/whobbling when I accelerate and it is worst at 30 km/h (~20 mph) on 2nd gear and it can be felt on 1st and 3rd gear also at that speed. This has been the main problem with all driveshafts I have tried.

Now after I had the J&R I can feel a sharp tiny shake/whobble when accelerating at all speeds between 40....100 km/h (25... 60 mph). When I shift 3rd gear and while accelerating the shifter also moves pretty quickly back and forward with same speed that I can feel the shaking. It did this with earlier shafts too. When I shift 4th and 5th gear the situation gets a lot better but it can still be felt through the car on 4th and 5th that something is making this sharp vibration or shaking (I don't know how to describe it better). I think this couldn't be felt before I had the J&R shaft changed.

What could be wrong in the car? Is it possible that a faulty front wheel bearing makes this kind of issue? There's tiny noise on wheel bearing when I drive and turn left, but they didn't mention about the bearings when I had MOT a week ago. Or am I just using too cheap driveshafts? :D
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:18 pm

front wheel bearing hum very loud mate turn one way it stops straighten its back turn another way it stops etc :(

are you sure this isnt a gearbox fault ?
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby jansu83 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:36 pm

karl mcghee wrote:front wheel bearing hum very loud mate turn one way it stops straighten its back turn another way it stops etc :(

are you sure this isnt a gearbox fault ?

No I'm not sure, it could of course be the gearbox too. The oil is clean in the box and there are no other problems with it though.

I didn't remember to mention that the car is willing to go on right side when I take hands off the steering wheel so I have to drive it a little bit left nearly all the time. I had new tires for this summer and front left tyre is worn more than the right one. My studded winter tyres had the same, the front left was worn and there were studs cut on the "middle left" of the tyre. Have to take a photo tho show show what I mean. Rear tire are like new and two year old winter tyres are very good at the rear too. Previous owner has had tyre's angles adjusted last summer. Funny that there seemed to be nothing wrong in the MOT and there are no signs about crashing in the van.
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jansu83 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Now I started to believe that the "bearing" noise could be the left tyre. On winter tyres it sounded more "rough" and now with summer tyres it is more like tyre screaming. Maybe there's still something wrong with the angles. Dunno.
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby matt1987 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Have you checked top gearbox mount
matt1987
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jansu83 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:02 pm

matt1987 wrote:Have you checked top gearbox mount

No I haven't yet. What should I remove to check it? Battery and it's support? And which way it moves if it is broken or worn?
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby matt1987 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:15 pm

I just lifted up the airbox on my mates and got him to roll the engine on the clutch ie lift it till it bites when in gear and keep dipping it and raising it whilst you watch it, doing this will move the mount and any faults will be shown. My mates had a big split in the rubber and when it was replaced it was clear to see it was worn out. He had the symptoms of harsh gear change knocking noises when accelerating and gear stick moving when acceleratin and letting off. Yours may be similar.
matt1987
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jansu83 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:32 pm

He had the symptoms of harsh gear change knocking noises when accelerating and gear stick moving when acceleratin and letting off. Yours may be similar.

I'm having some difficulties to change to 1st and 2nd when gearbox and engine is cold. After it warms up, it's a lot easier. But it doesn't make any noises or crunches when I change. At low rpm theres a tiny knocking sound though, must check this mount before doing anything else. Thank you for the advice!
jansu83
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect